2.3L Oil Pump Swap PAN MODIFICATIONS - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.3L Oil Pump Swap PAN MODIFICATIONS
Friday, August 03, 2012 1:59 PM
I know this has been covered in the official "2.3 Oil pump swap **sticky** with pictures " thread, but apparently the pictures were not clear enough for some, as people still ask about what all must be done to the pan to fit. So here we go...

The baffle i'm pointing at must be cut like this to be able to clear the oil pump mounting bolts, and side of the pump, when the oil pan is flipped over sitting on top.

As you can see, i have the entire area that must be cut out marked off with a sharpie marker.

After cutting it out as a solid piece.

Now you must grind down the baffle i'm pointing at, to be able to clear the oil pump pick-up properly.

This is the part that MUST be cut out to properly clear the back plate of the pump

After all the cutting, the pan should fit perfectly over the assembly, and now you can add spacers to see how much you want the pan lowered.

I chose to go with 5/8ths of an inch because a 1" spacer is far too much. Reason being is because of something i read from Todd Miller, who used to produce these pans (don't know if he still does).
Quote:

WHITECAVY wrote:

"My question is, how do you know how much material to add to the pan after you cut out the bottom?"

The million dollar question that no one has ever asked.

The distance is important. Too close and the pump will cavitate. Too far and the oil will form a vortex (same as water draining down the drain) and begin to suck air.

The distance has to be just wide enough to allow oil to flow into the pickup from all sides at once. This prevents a vortex from forming by keeping the flow rate divided around all the way around the whole pickup hole.

If the distance is too wide most of the oil will begin to flow from only one side of the hole and the rate in that area can easily get high enough to begin to suck air down with the oil.

I think 1" is way too big.

And now the finished product, i had welded up at a local shop (Grand Valley Welding, located in Cambridge Ontario Canada for you K-W ppl)

Re: 2.3L Oil Pump Swap PAN MODIFICATIONS
Friday, August 03, 2012 2:47 PM
Added this to the official sticky and stuck the official sticky

Friday, August 03, 2012 4:28 PM
Or you could just buy the adapter that Brad had machined and you can use a stock pan.

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Friday, August 03, 2012 5:50 PM
i like my 7 quart oil pan...

Friday, August 03, 2012 8:43 PM
Mystic02VA (GME Chat) wrote:Added this to the official sticky and stuck the official sticky

NO WAY! finally after how many years?!!!!!?

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good god damn job thrice. you sir rule.

and luke, just for the record i didnt have it machined. i came across it by dumb luck honestly. he had been using them for years before i even knew about them for dirt cars, etc.

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Friday, August 03, 2012 9:34 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:
Mystic02VA (GME Chat) wrote:Added this to the official sticky and stuck the official sticky

NO WAY! finally after how many years?!!!!!?.
This is due mostly in part that there hadn't been a mod watching this forum for the better part of the past 5 years... and i can't sticky directly from my account...

I did, however, delete about a page of posts that provided nothing more to the thread than say "sticky" and/or "bump" ... As this violates the rules.

Saturday, August 04, 2012 6:59 AM
Yaaay i did good . Up next is a how to for the 086 head swap (for dummies ver. 2.0)

Saturday, August 04, 2012 8:50 AM
Thrice . wrote:Yaaay i did good . Up next is a how to for the 086 head swap (for dummies ver. 2.0)

hell yes. really look into actually needed to mod the water jackets, too.

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Sunday, August 05, 2012 9:18 AM
Good write up, I have been wanting to do one for the 086 but I'm thinking yours will be better due to my lack of pics haha.

Tuesday, August 07, 2012 12:34 AM
So...Brad how much, and do we go through you or? Any pics of the adaptor?

Jason

USACi =>146.9db
14.88 @ 90.73MPH =>GM Charger, Motor Mounts, Catback exhaust
Tuesday, August 07, 2012 3:59 AM
I may sell my adapter I probably will not need it now.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 6:48 PM
Nice job! I miss my Miller Performance oil pan, lol.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 7:25 PM
What is the deal with the 7 qt oil pan?
Wednesday, August 15, 2012 7:37 PM
you have to run a deeper pan with the 2.3 pump if you do not run brad's pickup tube. this is due to clearance issues with the 2.3 oil pump swap...

I'm running a miller pan, it takes exactly 7 quarts to read full on the dipstick

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:07 PM
Mystic02VA (GME Chat) wrote:you have to run a deeper pan with the 2.3 pump if you do not run brad's pickup tube. this is due to clearance issues with the 2.3 oil pump swap...

I'm running a miller pan, it takes exactly 7 quarts to read full on the dipstick

Is the miller pan still available? If not, then is it easy to duplicate? How different is that pan than the stock one nodded as described in this thread?
Wednesday, August 15, 2012 9:02 PM
you can try to get ahold of todd but its proven quite difficult in the past. best bet would probably be to get ahold of jayvan and see if HE can talk to todd for ya.

Thursday, August 16, 2012 6:30 AM
Dave De Stefano wrote:
Mystic02VA (GME Chat) wrote:you have to run a deeper pan with the 2.3 pump if you do not run brad's pickup tube. this is due to clearance issues with the 2.3 oil pump swap...

Is the miller pan still available? If not, then is it easy to duplicate? How different is that pan than the stock one nodded as described in this thread?

A Miller Performance Pan is exactly what this write up is. It's just a modified stock 2.4L LD9 oil pan, with the bottom of the pan lowered with a 5/8" spacer welded in place, and the back of the pan cut out to clear the side of the pump.

Can I not make this any clearer to people lol?

Thursday, August 16, 2012 3:53 PM
Thrice . wrote:
Dave De Stefano wrote:

A Miller Performance Pan is exactly what this write up is. It's just a modified stock 2.4L LD9 oil pan, with the bottom of the pan lowered with a 5/8" spacer welded in place, and the back of the pan cut out to clear the side of the pump.

Can I not make this any clearer to people lol?

I was just trying to make sure it had the same oil capacity as the miller pan...
Friday, August 17, 2012 4:14 PM
well to add to that, kyle.. he does powdercoat it as well.

Friday, August 17, 2012 6:25 PM
Yep and ships back for a total of $190.00. Well worth.... until yet another very well sticky!
Friday, August 17, 2012 10:15 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:well to add to that, kyle.. he does powdercoat it as well.
wait, add to what? I don't see what i said here...

Saturday, August 18, 2012 1:37 PM
from what I gather he mods and coats the pans if you r fortunate enough to get ahold of "him" lol Todd I assume ? I would like to find a pan or an adapter, and a moded block lol if anyone decides to sell...just pm me...not trying to jack the thread haha, this is good stuff though, haha ill have to print it out and find a machinist who is confident enough to do this and the block mod...amazing attention to detail with the pics
Sunday, August 19, 2012 10:27 AM
Kyle the powedercoat is included in the 190 price...
Sunday, August 19, 2012 11:24 AM
98grandamld9 wrote:Kyle the powedercoat is included in the 190 price...
i understand that... but i still think brad was adding on to what Thrice said... not me... All i said is you have to run a deeper pan with the 2.3 oil pump unless you run one of brad's relocated pickup tubes...

I already have a miller pan...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search