New Here - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New Here
Thursday, October 25, 2012 10:55 AM
Hello everyone. I am new to these forums and I am glad to have found it. I have owned my 2002 cavalier since it had 222 test drive miles on it. It now has 183,480 miles on it. Most of those miles are highway. I feel it is time to breathe new life into the car as I feel the car deserves it. I was thinking of getting an AEM Cold Air Intake and a Magnaflow cat-back exhaust. Will there be any power gains by doing those two things alone? I know these cars are only rated at 115HP. I am grateful for all the helpful ideas with my car.

Re: New Here
Thursday, October 25, 2012 3:54 PM
You'll have a cool new sound and maaaaybe 10 hp to the wheels.

Thursday, October 25, 2012 7:00 PM
OK. What would you suggest that I can do to get more than 10HP? I am on a small budget. I did some thinking after my post earlier and realized that if anything, I should do a full header- back exaust. I would like to go with a Pacesetter header, a Magnaflow catalytic converter, and the Magnaflow cat-back system.
Thursday, October 25, 2012 7:09 PM
first question....is the an OHV or ECO or LD9

Friday, October 26, 2012 4:29 AM
It is not an ecotec. All I do know is that it is a 2.2. It also says 2200 on the top of the Intake.
Friday, October 26, 2012 8:59 AM
Peter Waithe wrote:It is not an ecotec. All I do know is that it is a 2.2. It also says 2200 on the top of the Intake.

That means it's the OHV motor, aka 2200 or engine code LN2. If you want to find more info, search those key words in this forum. Though I'm fond of the motor as I had one for a long time, your cheaper performance options are quite limited. Regardless of what anyone else says about this, a header helped me a lot. No, I don't have dyno results, and yes, I'm talking about butt dyno. I would look into a good header such as pacesetter and find a custom exhaust shop to bend your pipe the rest of the way back. A typical custom plumb job should cost you around 300 bucks. Cat, resonator and muffler are up to you for choices; there are many. DO NOT go over 2.25" piping unless you plan to turbo or supercharge. That takes too much velocity away from the exhaust gases and you could even lose power.

Don't waste your money on the AEM kit, all intakes are created equal. Grab the cheapest one you can find on ebay and buy a K&N to put on the end. If you don't want to deal with cleaning and oiling it every once in awhile, stick with the dryflow that came with it or find a better one somewhere else.

Other than that, I would say do some maintenance (plugs, wires, fuel filter, etc.) and look into suspensions mods. They will make the car way more fun for much less money.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, October 26, 2012 9:20 AM
The butt dyno is all that matters to me. I have looked into the Pacesetter header. What piping would need to be custom bent if I am ordering the high flow cat from Magnaflow and their cat-back system to be attached to it? As you can probably tell, I am new to this. As far as the intake, I have read the review elsewhere here on the Spyder intakes. I am thinking about getting one of those and getting a dryflow K&N filter for the end. I just replaced my spark plugs for the first time this past March and in June I cleaned the throttle body.
Friday, October 26, 2012 9:40 AM
I would just do one hell of a tune up and not sink a ton more cash into it. Just tune it up like no other and let it run to 300k.

Friday, October 26, 2012 9:46 AM
If you're sure about the magnaflow catback, you'll need them to finagle the header downpipe into the cat and get some pipe between the cat and the cat back. The new cat probably isn't the same size as stock and probably is missing the flange. I'm not a huge fan of pre-fabbed cat backs. They seem easy but sometimes dont fit right or have the wrong hangers. Then you find yourself paying someone anyway. Is it a stainless kit?

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, October 26, 2012 9:52 AM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:I would just do one hell of a tune up and not sink a ton more cash into it. Just tune it up like no other and let it run to 300k.

Not bad advice.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, October 26, 2012 12:24 PM
I am sure about the Mangaflow system. From what I saw, the cat has the flange. I looked the one at Andy's Autosport. The cat looks to be a huge piece. I am assuming it has the pipe you mentioned. If you go to their site, the one I would need is for VIN code 4. As far as suspension, I don't want to lower the car a lot, maybe an inch. I am looking at anti-sway bars too. My main goal is to create my "Cavalier SS".

Friday, October 26, 2012 10:18 PM
pacesetters good but just get a universal magnaflow cat...the one with the down pipe wont bolt up to the header..i have that set up on my 04 cav just a different cat back save yourself some on cash and just weld in the cat get an o2 bung put in and get some pipe to extend it to your catback and your good to go and just so you dont crack or break anything on your exhaust put in a flex pipe somewhere in there
Saturday, October 27, 2012 4:59 AM
There is a direct fit Magnaflow cat. It is more expensive, but I think it is what you were talking about. I guess this cat has all the flanges needed as well as the O2 sensor. I found flex pipe as you mentioned. What size would I need to get? The smallest I found was2.5 inches in diameter. I don't feel that the flex pipe and the extra pipe to the cat back need to be ordered. I can get those from Advanced Auto Parts. I am getting excited about this. My "Cavalier SS" will be created and will be one of a kind. I forgot to mention to everyone that my Cavalier is a 4-door.
Saturday, October 27, 2012 5:55 PM
You're overthinking and underthinking at the same time. Pacesetter header, Magnaflow or Thunderbolt Spun Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler and a name brand tip: Have these components welded together using 2.25" pipe at a local muffler shop.

But if you plan on doing a major build, you'll need head work and a turbo setup.

Saturday, October 27, 2012 7:11 PM
No turbo for me. I want to leave the head the way it is. You are right though. I probably am overthinking the exhaust. On the I take side, I am going to take y'all's advice and get a cheap cold air and get a K&N filter for the end.
Saturday, October 27, 2012 11:13 PM
yeah it sounds like you really just want a car thats fun and its 'you'.
find an exhaust you'll enjoy, get the intake, some suspension upgrades (lower it on cheap springs and shocks, get new tires/wheels), and it'll handle like day and night. then stop at that.
beyond improving the factory limitations, I wouldnt put more into it either. I got an eBay WAI and it sounded a lot better and prob helped marginally. But for a dd mine did pretty well for being nearly stock.

then..the bug bit me. lol

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Sunday, October 28, 2012 6:57 AM
I was also going to add an Extreme Dimensions Shock wing and a fiberglass hood from VIS and stop there.
Sunday, October 28, 2012 7:12 AM
I made a mistake. The hood is from AIT.
Sunday, October 28, 2012 10:07 AM
whatever you do just dont get a body kit from ED...they dont fit and take alot of time to get them to fit...but the wings i never bought one of theirs so idk if it the same for those look into it first and look for peoples experiences too then buy
Sunday, October 28, 2012 1:41 PM
Thanks for the heads up Kyle.
Sunday, October 28, 2012 3:21 PM
the benefit to the 2200 is small block chevy components fit in it. many people do rocker upgrades and some other tuning options. search around a little as mentioned and see what you can find.

Monday, October 29, 2012 4:35 PM
Has anyone installed the K&M coil overs? I like that they are adjustable. Are there any others out there that are less expensive?
Friday, November 02, 2012 9:04 AM
Are short ram Intakes any better that cold air intakes. I did some readIng on the sticky post and it had me thinking about it. Do short ram intakes have anything for the IAT to plug into? I was thinking about getting an Option Racing short ram intake.

I am looking forward to getting all the parts for the intake and exhaust and have that done next year.
Friday, November 02, 2012 5:30 PM
Peter Waithe wrote:Are short ram Intakes any better that cold air intakes. I did some readIng on the sticky post and it had me thinking about it. Do short ram intakes have anything for the IAT to plug into? I was thinking about getting an Option Racing short ram intake.

I am looking forward to getting all the parts for the intake and exhaust and have that done next year.

Neither intake is better. The short ram is easier to install while the cold air looks better. The above is an old pic so excuse the nastiness lol

As far as coilovers, don't cheap out. Ground Control, Tein, KW and B&G are just a few quality options. Sportlines or Goldlines are cheaper spring options that will still drop you over 2"

Friday, November 02, 2012 5:42 PM
Magnaflow cats are junk... I've seen too many of them let go and break up... Magnaflow mufflers are too damn loud for the flow they allow... Its like a non-power adding noise maker...

with that said... carry on.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search