2.4 ecotech head swap - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.4 ecotech head swap
Wednesday, January 18, 2017 2:55 AM
Need to know if a 06-07 2.4 ecotec block will fit a 02-05 2.2 ecotec head to bump compression and heard I have to change trigger wheel on crank any help would be appreciated

Re: 2.4 ecotech head swap
Wednesday, January 18, 2017 6:02 AM
You won't be able to run the 2.4(LE5) head because the jbody pcm won't run the VVT. You'll have to run either a gen1 2.2(L61) or 2.0 (LSJ/LK9) head.

I have no physical experience with the LE5 block specifically but I'd imagine that it will work if you swap everything from the L61 over to it. Things like the oil pan, water neck/thermostat housing, dipstick, components, etc. Like you mentioned, the trigger wheel is different (58x) than the jbody (6+1) and it will not run without it. There are two options, both aren't a lot of fun. One is an external crank trigger wheel, which are getting harder to find, that bolts to the outside of the crank pulley. Rig a sensor over top of it and you're good. Many people ran that setup with good results. Mine gave me problems weekly until I finally just gave up on it. The second option is a new internal wheel that someone was selling here on the forums. The 58x ring unbolts, and the new 6+1 bolts in it's place. Unfortunately, to swap it means pulling the crank out.

Hopefully someone else chimes in with any other differences that I don't know about. It's been done before.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, January 18, 2017 7:00 PM
appreciate your time and helpful knowledge thanks much appreciated.
Saturday, February 04, 2017 6:19 AM
Another option and truly better option. Standalone. MS3 would be great for this. No need to worry about the trigger wheel.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search