03cavy build - Performance Forum

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.
03cavy build
Sunday, December 11, 2011 5:01 PM
New to the forums, Hi guys ( and gals? )

I just purchased an 03 2 door base cavalier with 188xxx KM'S on it ( yes I live in canada, Ontario ) 2500$
5speed.

The e-test came back with the lowest numbers Ive ever seen, even on a new car TBH.
3 out of 135, 0.05 out of 0.75 and .04 out of .45. Pretty clean emission I would say.

Does that indicate a strong engine I am able to mod?

I have alot more to ask, But without knowing if I can mod my engine and it's won't blow up without running it hard im not going to ask them.

I blew up a 95 quad4 in a rare sunfire Due to 3" intake with dual exhaust pipes and stock exhaust. Needless to say, it was running incorrectly and couldnt handle some type of pressure. I don't want to make the same mistake.

Re: 03cavy build
Sunday, December 11, 2011 6:19 PM
miles gillings wrote:I blew up a 95 quad4 in a rare sunfire Due to 3" intake with dual exhaust pipes and stock exhaust. Needless to say, it was running incorrectly and couldnt handle some type of pressure. I don't want to make the same mistake.

??
Pretty sure your motor didn't blow up because of an intake and dual mufflers...

Sunday, December 11, 2011 6:54 PM
Your pretty sure?

The 3 inch intake gave the intake manifold different flow making inconsistent performance, I threw the mufflers on the back and BOOM.

Before those enhancments I had a 2" intake pipe and K&N filter and stock mufflers and it ran consistent everytime.

I thought since I moved to a city I would try and get more tourque out of a different set-up seeing how I wouldnt need high rpm enhancements for better highway driving.. It's called trial and error.

Please give advice on my question.
Sunday, December 11, 2011 6:59 PM
heres an easier questions, Does a really good etest indicate a strong running motor?
Sunday, December 11, 2011 7:17 PM
nope.

Sig thanks to bxmobkrazey on gmscf.com
Sunday, December 11, 2011 7:27 PM
How do i find out if I have a strong running motor?
Sunday, December 11, 2011 9:58 PM
Compression test and strap the car to a dyno, IMO. Or just beat the piss out of it and see if it takes it.

My eco is at ~90k miles on it with 13psi being shoved threw it and it takes it like a champ.

Error: Sig not found.

Sunday, December 11, 2011 10:17 PM
miles gillings wrote:Your pretty sure?

The 3 inch intake gave the intake manifold different flow making inconsistent performance, I threw the mufflers on the back and BOOM.

Before those enhancments I had a 2" intake pipe and K&N filter and stock mufflers and it ran consistent everytime.

I thought since I moved to a city I would try and get more tourque out of a different set-up seeing how I wouldnt need high rpm enhancements for better highway driving.. It's called trial and error.

Please give advice on my question.

Yes sure.

You can throw a 10" intake on if you want to...an n/a motor is only going to pull in the amount of air it needs regardless of how big your intake is. There is no "pressure" for it to have to handle. The motor will never see positive pressure unless boosted.
If the motor blew because of an over sized intake and dual mufflers, half the cars on this site and every Honda on the street would have failed motors.

Monday, December 12, 2011 6:53 AM
if a N/A motor is only going to pull the amount of air in regardless of how big the intake is, What is the point of aftermarket intakes? I don't see what all the fuss is about adding a "free-flowing" intake when it isn't sucking in any more air.

I hear that the straighter the flow of air the better. Well to me that doesn't make much sense if the reality is that the motor can still only pull in the same amount of air with the stock intake plenum and box.
Monday, December 12, 2011 7:44 AM
I wouldnt really argue with Evilution, hes kind of a big deal, well he knows what hes talking about anyways.

Not that im very knowledgeable yet about cars but aftermarket intake especially on a N/A is mostly cosmetic look, to replace the hideous stock set-up, its not gonna bring you much if any more power.
Monday, December 12, 2011 7:53 AM
If you blew your motor with exhaust and an intake then 99% of the people on this site would have blown their motors up too. Derp.

Monday, December 12, 2011 8:22 AM
Chrismac902 wrote:I wouldnt really argue with Evilution, hes kind of a big deal, well he knows what hes talking about anyways.

Not that im very knowledgeable yet about cars but aftermarket intake especially on a N/A is mostly cosmetic look, to replace the hideous stock set-up, its not gonna bring you much if any more power.

Exactly my point, half of the cars on this site do blow up from not having the correct tune done to the aftermarket performance changes done to the car. A 3 inch intake isn't going to give you the same flow design, pressure and collection the standard part will, causing the engine to ask what is going on. I don't care who you are or what car you have. Some cars might even take the change and just power through it like most. But some cars can't handle it and get confused, cause not every car is built to the exact same quality. some cars may be off .00000000002 and that could make the world of differences.

Now how do you guys think about my WRX style hood with the intake plenum leading from the throttle body to the hood scoop, I think it is going to look sick and sound even sicker coming down the road. Slap a long tubular 4-1 header on it and 3" full exhaust with high flow cat, get a tune done and listen to the sucker PURRRRR. meow.
Monday, December 12, 2011 8:34 AM
miles gillings wrote: I blew up a 95 quad4 in a rare sunfire Due to 3" intake with dual exhaust pipes and stock exhaust. Needless to say, it was running incorrectly and couldnt handle some type of pressure. I don't want to make the same mistake.

Wait, what the hell did you just say?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, December 12, 2011 8:35 AM
miles gillings wrote:
Chrismac902 wrote:I wouldnt really argue with Evilution, hes kind of a big deal, well he knows what hes talking about anyways.

Exactly my point, half of the cars on this site do blow up from not having the correct tune done to the aftermarket performance changes done to the car. A 3 inch intake isn't going to give you the same flow design, pressure and collection the standard part will, causing the engine to ask what is going on. I don't care who you are or what car you have. Some cars might even take the change and just power through it like most. But some cars can't handle it and get confused, cause not every car is built to the exact same quality. some cars may be off .00000000002 and that could make the world of differences.

Now how do you guys think about my WRX style hood with the intake plenum leading from the throttle body to the hood scoop, I think it is going to look sick and sound even sicker coming down the road. Slap a long tubular 4-1 header on it and 3" full exhaust with high flow cat, get a tune done and listen to the sucker PURRRRR. meow.

Quit cross posting.

Monday, December 12, 2011 9:21 AM
miles gillings wrote:

You are over thinking this WAYYYY too much. No one has blown an engine on this site from just adding an intake and exhaust. There have been a few engines that blew with minor mods, but there was either a preexisting flaw in the engine itself and/or they beat the piss out of it with while ignoring the proper maintenance that any engine requires. If what you are saying is true myself and others would have gone threw countless engines just from tuning the ECU.

On your plans for power mods, i think you are going to be servilely disappointed. The whole hood/ram air idea *might* gain you 2-3whp at highway speeds over a simple ebay short ram intake/warm air intake. My cav is supercharged with a stock 2.2L ecotec and a "custom" header with 2 inch diameter primaries and a unrestricted full 3" exhaust. I am move alot more air than you and i seriously believe that my big exhaust is currently hurting my power goals. It isnt about backpressure, it is about exhaust velocity.

Error: Sig not found.

Monday, December 12, 2011 2:05 PM
Well, just from my trial and error, that is what I cam up with. SO I stand corrected ( or something ).

I will not be severaly dissapointed because I don't plan to gain loads of horsepower, A few extra HP isn't bad but I am not looking for forced induction unless it's a turbo. And I don't plan to turbo a 188,000 KM engine. Although it would probably take it.

All I plan is to make a cool ram/hood intake with hood pins, Find a great header and or intae manifold that will accomodate the 3" right rear-single exit exhaust system, Then I want a tune that will allow the engine to run as if it were stock with maybe a god 10-15 hp increase. Or more. I just don't want to hurt the engine. I want it to perform as it would stock and new and I want it to sound nice with a 3 inch exhaust, No resonator, and a nice hod intake so that you can hear the throttle open better from outside of the car.

Then lower is 1-2 inches, Buy 15-17 inch rims and have atleast 225/65/15-17s. Both for winter and summer.

And one spring seems reasonable for all that
Monday, December 12, 2011 2:51 PM
You are just throwing your money away. You won't notice anything from a CAI and an exhaust, unless you learn to drive it at the strip and launch.
If you really want to make power, either spray, or blow. Or just build that crap that matters.
Don't throw money into a useless hood.

Monday, December 12, 2011 3:01 PM
Ok smart guy,

All I want to achieve is around 25+ more TQ at around 1500-3000 rpm, I am not looking to make more HP because I CAN'T USE IT ON THE FRANKING CANADA ROADS.
Monday, December 12, 2011 3:03 PM
will the ram air, 4-1 headers and 3 inch exhaust only give me HIGH rpm HP? or wil it help out with low end TQ
Monday, December 12, 2011 3:08 PM
You might blow up your motor

Monday, December 12, 2011 3:11 PM
Your an ass. Lol

Can u just help me out, I would like more low end trq.

Monday, December 12, 2011 3:24 PM
miles gillings wrote:Your an ass. Lol

Can u just help me out, I would like more low end trq.

For what, to burn out and impress your friends?

Monday, December 12, 2011 3:25 PM
A good tune is going to help you out the most...HP Tuners.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Monday, December 12, 2011 3:35 PM
Slocav, I don't have any friends, I have a daughter and GF, and I like to have fun with cars. Stop talking on this thread.

And about the HP tuners. Am I able to change the tq and hp band with that tool, making it so I get most HP and TQ at a lower RPM making better gas mileage?
Monday, December 12, 2011 3:42 PM
i think you should just leave your car alone because clearly you have NO idea what your talking about. some of the guys in this thread are very knowledgeable and you SHOULD be listening to their advice. Also dont give me that crap that you cant use it in Canadian roads as im Canadian and know the roads are the same everywhere. intake and exhaust will gain you a few 3-5hp and make it sound like it has better performance which confuses your inexperienced butt dyno. just please stop it,just stop it your acting like a ricer and they are not welcome on this site(you can stay but you will just be made fun of relentlessly)
This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.

Start New Topic Advanced Search