2.4 motor need ! - Canadian Mid East Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.4 motor need !
Saturday, August 08, 2009 11:31 AM
As the title says I am looking for a 2.4 motor for my 2000 Z24 I've looked through the junk yards and have found nothing. Just wondering if anyone here knows where I can find one or has one that they are willing to part ways with. Thanks

Re: 2.4 motor need !
Sunday, August 09, 2009 12:45 PM
try kijiji
Sunday, August 09, 2009 6:32 PM
Hard to find lol worst gm motor IMO.....I blew 4 in a year.....hard to find because your in the same boat as others...blew theirs and trying to find one too! Look on Kijiji though, part out cars and such. Always find good deals there
Monday, August 10, 2009 4:23 AM
2000 z24 = eco swap.... anything 2000 + fawk the 2.4

Monday, August 10, 2009 5:51 AM
for what a good used 2.4 motor is, ur better off buying a parts car with a ecotec in it and swap it over, i just picked a 2004 cav 2 dr from our actions here that was hit in the rear quater for $350 and the best part it only have 75k, i',m swapping that eco i n my wifes car she also has a 2000 z24 and the motor is on its way out.

So i would look into something like that.

Monday, August 10, 2009 9:07 AM
You guys must not be checking or changing your oil on time, if at all.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Monday, August 10, 2009 9:22 AM
well the last owner never took care of it .

Monday, August 10, 2009 3:47 PM
Yhandor wrote:Hard to find lol worst gm motor IMO.....I blew 4 in a year.....hard to find because your in the same boat as others...blew theirs and trying to find one too! Look on Kijiji though, part out cars and such. Always find good deals there

Why do you continue to speak?

Easy to find, hell I even have a spare. If it really was their worst GM motor, i'd have blown my original one up long ago, but nope she still purrs like a kitten and doesn't leak a drop after 208xxx km and 5+ years of boost.

Yep, crap engine indeed.

Moron.

14.330 @ 96.37mph
Monday, August 10, 2009 5:50 PM
BlownBlackZ wrote:
Yhandor wrote:Hard to find lol worst gm motor IMO.....I blew 4 in a year.....hard to find because your in the same boat as others...blew theirs and trying to find one too! Look on Kijiji though, part out cars and such. Always find good deals there

Why do you continue to speak?

Easy to find, hell I even have a spare. If it really was their worst GM motor, i'd have blown my original one up long ago, but nope she still purrs like a kitten and doesn't leak a drop after 208xxx km and 5+ years of boost.

Yep, crap engine indeed.

Moron.

Werd. Never had any issues with any of my 2.4s. And I was FAR from nice to them.

Monday, August 10, 2009 5:50 PM
very well put bill
Monday, August 10, 2009 7:36 PM
i would still get an eco. those engines pull just as hard if not harder and are very reliable and easy to modify.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 3:42 AM
Andrey B wrote:i would still get an eco. those engines pull just as hard if not harder and are very reliable and easy to modify.

Everyone needs to get off the eco bandwagon. That Engine is not the be-all and end-all of motors. Hell, I just replaced one on a bone stock 03 that only had 106,000km. All highway, all dealer maintained...

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 9:43 AM
Hey BlownBlackZ, how about you shut your mouth and line it up, your little Cavi will get eaten by my Grand Prix.....which has FAR more performance mods into it then your cavi could ever have. 13s son, and I gotta put my headers on this week still, not to mention i will have it in 12s next year.....line it up quit running your mouth and bring your cereal box car down here
Tuesday, August 11, 2009 11:22 AM
2.4 is a fantastic motor. I have put a MANY a Km on mine and never had a hitch.

ON the other hand, my 3800 went threw valve seals and the Lower Intake gasket @ 220.......

I am in no way implying that the 3800 is crap,but all motors have their duds.

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Tuesday, August 11, 2009 3:14 PM
Yhandor wrote:Hey BlownBlackZ, how about you shut your mouth and line it up, your little Cavi will get eaten by my Grand Prix.....which has FAR more performance mods into it then your cavi could ever have. 13s son, and I gotta put my headers on this week still, not to mention i will have it in 12s next year.....line it up quit running your mouth and bring your cereal box car down here

I should HOPE your car is faster than mine, considering it has 60% more displacement AND two more cylinders than I have. I'd be awfully embarrassed if it didn't. Tell you what, instead of my little "cereal box" I'll bring something with 6 cylinders and boost, and we'll see who's watching who's taillights. Sound good? A little forewarning, and you'll know what I'm talking about when you see it...it says "UD LOSE".

I won't even bother trying to get you onto a road course with it, I highly doubt you're skilled enough to turn the wheel more than what's required to pull into a Tim Horton's drive thru.

/end you

14.330 @ 96.37mph
Tuesday, August 11, 2009 6:57 PM
^^^nicely put!

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 11:31 PM
no not really, I hope you have something low 13's or lower, otherwise, your going to be looking at the back of the car. Not to mention as we speak its getting 25HP more to the crank, and a re tune soon. And a built tranny this winter, cam, all the goodies, unless you got a Grand National GNX, I highly doubt your beating me. I like everyones car here, but WHY waste money supercharging a Cavalier. Honestly. If anything, turbo it, you get more power in the end and have a bigger market for upgrade with them, you took the cheap way out. Now for a Grand Prix lets say comes factory Supercharged, different story, I will eventually turbo it yes, but Im having fun seeing how fast I can get it to go on the factory M90. So when you snap out of your still a teenager phase even though your probably old, let me know, I hope you dont have kids, who wants to go for a ride in the Cavalier?!. Anyways Im not here to flame, Ill see you at the track sometime, prepare to line it up. Along with the other boosted cars I hangout with around here. Shorthand, my 3800 has 226K on it, my intake gaskets werent too too bad, but changed them for peace of mind anyways, other then that, not a problem with it, runs like a dream, has been taking daily beatings for almost a year at 350+ crank horse, Im very pleased with it, a pretty solid motor and all my friends who have a 3800 have all but good to say about them, you must have been unlucky! But yeah all motors have duds, havent really spotted any so far on mine, just cant kill it lol, but anytime I put a new mod on, I have proper supporting mods to have Knock Retard closest to 0 as possible and to keep Boost between 10 - 12 PSI at WOT, thats what the Grand prixs like to run at.
Tuesday, August 11, 2009 11:37 PM
just popped my 2.4 today... BUT, i was trying to warm up the cat for my E-Test. Revving at 4000 in 4th for 15 mins and then taking the onramp up to 6000rpm. POP. The motor that i've been building for a couple years is now ready though so it may be a good thing. Glad that the 2.3 oil pump swap is done

It is an amazing motor with some good balls, just has that one flaw we all know about. Go with the 2.4 and just don't rev over 5600.
Tuesday, August 11, 2009 11:39 PM
Oh and i may have a 2.4 for sale.... thinking its a spun rod bearing but i do have the clevitte bearings for it. all you will need is a crank. I'm in Peterborough so PM me if you're interested.
Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:14 AM
Yhandor wrote:Hey BlownBlackZ, how about you shut your mouth and line it up, your little Cavi will get eaten by my Grand Prix.....which has FAR more performance mods into it then your cavi could ever have. 13s son, and I gotta put my headers on this week still, not to mention i will have it in 12s next year.....line it up quit running your mouth and bring your cereal box car down here

small dick syndrom

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 8:29 AM
Yhandor - you know the one car you mentioned you HOPED it wasn't... that's what it is.

In this card game, Bill is holding 4 aces... perhaps you should stop swinging your e-dick around? Commanding him to line up his cavalier is kind of like a 9 second Camaro telling you to line it up... do you like picking on smaller people or something? He'll simply bring a v6 boosted car to match you, and in turn, beat the living crap out of you. Sounds fair? V6 boost vs. V6 Boost?

But, as Bill said - life isn't about a straight line. Go try him on a circuit... Cavalier Z24 vs Grand Prix. 10-1 that he blows by you through the turns. That car handles very well, esp with an LSD, full suspension and larger 4 wheel discs... handles quite nice. I think Bill just got some new sticky tires not too long ago either...

It's not always about "put up or shut up" in the 1/4 mile... you just need to stop spouting off about an engine you clearly don't know f@ck all about. That's like me telling the world that the archaic 3800 v6 is the worst motor ever created by GM, when clearly it's untrue. We know that title belongs to the 301 n/a V8 in the 1979-1981 firebird... (Which I ALSO own... lol)

As I said, ppl that blow LD9's either didn't take care of them, or the people they purchased them from didn't take care of them. Every motor has its weakness, even yours. It chews through coilpacks and eats LIM gaskets. I know - I have one. (3800)

/bitchfest

Anybody got a working LD9 to sell the OP? I sold mine to a retard a few years back for WAY too little and regret the hell out of it.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 9:50 AM
My coils have never gone. and once you change the LIM gaskets your good. His GNX cant be that fast.....dont matter I know someone in town here witha black GNX v6 turbocharged, I guarantee his will beat yours
Wednesday, August 12, 2009 10:56 AM
Yhandor wrote:My coils have never gone. and once you change the LIM gaskets your good. His GNX cant be that fast.....dont matter I know someone in town here witha black GNX v6 turbocharged, I guarantee his will beat yours

So, you call Bill out, but when you find out he will beat you, you turn to your friend for help?

LOL

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 10:57 AM
Eh a GNX is a GNX... you gotta love them, be it moving or standing still. To see 2 go at it side by side would be epic beyond words.

But again, this isn't about winning or losing... it's a car site. We're car guys. Chill.

And I had a coil go out on my 3800 already, 32,000 original KM and a coil pooched out. Really ticked me off, now I have a non matching un-numbered coil in there. Bah!

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Wednesday, August 12, 2009 11:03 AM
Yes! 2 GNX's lined up would be sweet!

Just to see what kind of numbers a s/c vs t/c could pull would be neat as well.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search