87 z24 build thread - Page 4 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 87 z24 build thread
Saturday, June 16, 2012 9:47 PM
I'll have to check it tomorrow. I bought the gauge for my 86 Camaro z28 back in the day and found it yesterday. I never installed it on the Camaro. I figured what the hell, I'd just install it on the Cavalier. Sounds like the install would be pretty easy if what you say is the case and I choose to just install it. Thanks, Rob.

Saturday, June 16, 2012 10:04 PM
I have just about every gauge except for fuel pressure and nitrous pressure installed on my 89z. I also have a digi dash. So if you need help pm me.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Sunday, June 17, 2012 5:43 PM
The temp sensor/sender on the head has a different wire coming off of it and the green wire with the connector that should connect to the sensor/sender is just dangling there. No woder it doesn't work. Someone replaced the sensor/sender with an universal one. I'm gonna get the proper one and see if it works. If not then I'll install the sunpro gauge.
Monday, June 18, 2012 5:07 PM
Today, I modified my shifter to give me a "short shifter"

Here's the pics:
Stock:

Modified:

I shortened it by about 2 inches. Feels a whole lot better.
Wednesday, June 20, 2012 10:00 PM
Stock:

Thursday, June 21, 2012 5:09 PM
this is the water temp. adapter rob is talking about. as you can see it is sitting on a drillpress because my autometer sensor is much larger then the glowshift sensors, so i drilled and retapped it. if you have to retap make sure you get an NPT tap this is not a metric or standard thread pitch

Thursday, June 21, 2012 5:52 PM
that isn't a bad Idea either. I have a trick up my sleeve to try soon. If it doesn't work I'll install the Sunpro gauge.
Thursday, June 21, 2012 9:33 PM
Tonite I bought a proper shift boot and some wheel paint to help my aging wheels. Will post pics when completed.
Saturday, June 23, 2012 7:34 PM
The shift boot is on but haven't redone my wheels yet. Too much rain. Will post pics of both when the wheels are done.
Sunday, June 24, 2012 5:24 PM
Here are the pics I promised:

The new shift boot:

Newly painted wheels:

Yes, I painted the wheel weight. This is just temporary till I get some wheels:

Bonus pic: I decided to remove the stripes that run along the bottom:

The vinyl was cracked in a lot places and pieces were missing so I decided to just pull it all off. I only have the front bumper so far. Rain started again.
Sunday, June 24, 2012 6:52 PM
Those rims don't look too bad. Are you going with recon stock or new aftermarket? The car looks nice in black and the shift boot is cool.

Sunday, June 24, 2012 6:57 PM
I'm going with new aftermarket. The shift boot gives you an idea of what the interior will be like.
Tuesday, June 26, 2012 11:21 PM
Hey, what is the offset and the width on the factory z24 wheels??? I know the factory tire size is 215/60-14 but curious on the width.
Tuesday, June 26, 2012 11:27 PM
6in I believe. I have 8.5s on my car now soon maybe 10s. Also I believe you can use a Honda accord shifter boot. They are direct replacements. Search v6z24 for more specifics.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 11:43 AM
Interesting that this goes to wheels now...

It's been said many times here that Fiero wheels will fit on a J. I always knew them to be 15x7.

I was at Carlisle this weekend and found a set, but two were 15x6 and two were 15x7. Since I didn't have the money to buy them anyway, I didn't bother looking for who was sellnig them to ask if they were ever 15x7 all around.

anyone here know if the Fiero had two different size rims?
Wednesday, June 27, 2012 12:32 PM
I have a shift boot. Reason I ask about wheels is that I'll need new tires soon and finding tires in the stock size is kind of a pain. Tirerack.com only has ONE tire in that size. Discount Tire only has ONE tire in that size. The same tire as Tirerack.com. So, I'll prolly buy some new wheels and then have more options for tires. That is why I was looking for offset and width. That way I can make sure I get the right size and offset. Don't know if I'll go OEM GM, Subaru, etc or go with aftermarket.
Friday, June 29, 2012 8:42 PM
Today I took out the old, tore up, nasty carpet and started cleaning up some other things in the interior. I sanded down the seat brackets and sprayed them with the same paint I used to paint my wheels. I unfortunately broke my center console on the passenger side and will have to figure out if I can fix it or if I will just get one from a junkyard.
Saturday, June 30, 2012 8:16 PM
Today I took out the sunroof and found out that the brackets that slide when you ope and shut the sunroof were so rusted that they pretty much fell apart when I pulled it out. I finished what the rust started and made new brackets. I found an old gauge bracket, cut it in half and put the right bend in it. I then had to find rubber grommets and 2 allen head bolts with lock nuts. I then fixed the weather stripping and put it all back on. Works like a charm.
Saturday, June 30, 2012 10:33 PM
When you get an alignment done on a 1st gen do they do 4 wheel or just a Thrust alignment (just the front)? Also, I think my 2.8 needs the timing checked.
Sunday, July 01, 2012 10:35 AM
coming along nicely...

I am pretty sure when I had mine done earlier this year it was a thrust alignment.

Sunday, July 01, 2012 11:37 AM
Thanks Paul.

Tuesday, July 03, 2012 7:41 PM
@!#$, my sunroof STILL LEAKS!!!! I am going to find some metal and someone with a welder to weld my sunroof shut. I don't use it and it will add a little strength to the unibody. I just need to find some sheetmetal and a person to weld it. Oh, and I need to cut the metal to shape too. lol
Tuesday, July 03, 2012 8:01 PM
Just buy a new seal from rock auto or a salvage yard

Tuesday, July 03, 2012 8:05 PM
I'd rather weld it shut to be honest.
Saturday, July 14, 2012 9:18 PM
Went to price headliner material tonite. Went to JoAnn Fabrics where they have it for $15.00 a yard.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search