getting an 84 cavalier sedan...any aftermarket?? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
getting an 84 cavalier sedan...any aftermarket??
Monday, April 09, 2007 9:02 AM
hey guys, im getting an 84 cavalier sedan from my great grandpa who just recently passed away. It has been sitting in his shop for the last 5-7 years and very rarely driven. I fixed it for him a few years ago when i went to visit him, and got it running. He always said i could have it whenever i wanted...and since his passing the family said i could have it now.

It has less than 70k on it, and its got a 2.0L auto. anybody know of any aftermarket for it? what year parts will work for it?

Re: getting an 84 cavalier sedan...any aftermarket??
Monday, April 09, 2007 5:16 PM
Sorry to hear about your Grandfather, but I'm glad to hear you have a car to remember him by. That is sentimental I'm sure.

As for your question about what year parts will interchange, your front clip and trim will interchange between 1982 and 1987 Cavaliers (82-83 nose pieces are single-headlight designs that are slightly different). Doors on the 4-doors and wagons I believe will interchange between the entire run of the series from 1982 to 1994. Interior parts are also interchangable with minimal modification (if any) throughout the 82-94 model years.

Engine-wise I believe the 1.8, 2.0, and later 2.2 OHV motors share similar head & block designs. 84-86 2.0 motors used a cast-iron head and TBI and I think 87-89s got aluminum heads. 84-86 use a distributor, while 87 and later motors got coil packs.

*someone can correct or add to this info. I'm not into modification so I don't really know all the interchangability of these engine parts.

Mantapart.com is one of the only places to find high-performance parts specifically for 1st generation J-body cars, however you can mix & match from the GM parts bin and get creative and make more power if that's what you are looking for. Check with "SCRUFDOG" on the forums here if that is your game. He built a pretty stout 4 door sedan a few years ago.

If you are looking to preserve or restore your car then OEM parts are still available at many dealerships, however some have been discontinued for almost a decade and are getting scarce. Since these are also not considered 'collector' cars like the Camaros or Monte Carlos built around the same time, you may have a difficult time searching for good used parts.

Good luck with your Cavalier. You'll find this site to be very friendly and helpful!

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 11:18 AM
thanks for the info

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 11:58 AM
anybody else have any info or idea's or whatever?

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 7:45 PM
i say do as you did with your 98 sedan .. and make it a z245 sedan clone also .. with 95-99 wheels or even 2000-2002 rims would look very nice
Tuesday, April 10, 2007 7:46 PM
i ment a z24 sedan clone .. i know there was never a z24 sedan till late 02
Thursday, April 12, 2007 9:24 PM
It's a simple engine mines a the same 2.0 tbi single injector.I could write a book on the sensors,vac lines and so on I have changed.If u ever have issue's running wise throw it up here .I am keeping mine stock and for good reasons.And I assume it has the orig 13 in whls if u do upgrade any J whl factory wise will fit the car,same lug pattern etc as some one else stated above.That is about it and buy ur self a chiltons book or go on line to buy chiltons online version it kicks azz. http://www.chiltonsonline.com this is a addtional source I use and I have two books haynes,chiltons but u can print off what u need being the books cover alot but do not show pics.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search