Weatherstrips - Market research - Page 2 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Weatherstrips - Market research
Wednesday, February 25, 2009 5:26 PM
Here is an update regarding the weatherstrips. I have (finally) shipped some weatherstrips of my ’87 convertible to SoffSeal. This includes the front door window belt, quarter window belt, quarter window seal (the seal attached to the window that seals the front window and the quarter window), front door seal and hood cowl seal. When I have some more time I may send the seals from the convertible top as well. The person I am working with told me that they plan on reproducing all the weather stripping. When I asked about a time frame for the reproduction parts, he said they would address the ‘easy’ parts first. I would imagine this would be the items that are easy to tool like the rubber seals. I suspect things like the outer door belt seals may take more time because of the metal forming. Regardless, he said it may take a year before something materializes in the retail market (I hope much sooner).

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 6:08 PM
Thats great news atleast they are gonna start reproducing them.

Im gonna cross my fingers hoping its sooner then a year the vert need help.

Satch Timeline Progress Thread
JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.

Saturday, February 28, 2009 12:04 AM
Man I need some of that...

Monday, March 02, 2009 5:29 PM
Hi Scott,

Outstanding work and thaks for keeping this idea going!

I just picked up an '86 Z24 hatchback this past weekend (I'll be posting photos soon). Any possibility of hatchback side window seals? I'm going to guess all the bosy styles require different sized and shaped seals.

For me, the ones that run along the bottom of the window frame and curve up to the mirrors are pretty dried out.
Tuesday, March 03, 2009 9:36 PM
SWEET!!!!

Thursday, March 05, 2009 6:47 PM
Hi John,
We never discussed any specific seals for the hatchback. I have not seen a hatchback in years; a good find! When I spoke with SoffSeal, they were visiting salvage yards to find seals, but were having difficulty locating the seals. I don’t know if they located the seals, but I’d be happy to ask or provide you the contact.
Thursday, March 05, 2009 7:50 PM
Hi Scott,

I'm pretty stoked on my buy. It's a red over gray '86 hatch, auto, very minimal rust where the inner and outer door panels are welded together, a very very slight ding on the RF corner, and that's it. Everything works. Everthing is original. Some valve cover and oil pan drips. That's it. 65K miles. It's kind of a fun weird flashback for me, as I had a red '85 Sunbird S/E 1.8 turbo hatch, from 1987 to 1991.

As it turns out, just yesterday, I just scored a set of 1987 hatch R&L inner door seals, and R&L rear (vent window) seals from a Craig's list ad. The seller also has the '87 hatchback seal, but I indicated last night I did not need it. He describes all of them them as a 7 on a scale of 10 in overall condition, and from the photos he sent, I'm inclined to agree. Not perfect, but good for 22 year old seals taken off a car.

He unfortunately does not have the window belt seals, and that is what I need the most.

If Soffseal is serious about moving forward with the project, I'll consider asking the seller to add the hatch seal to the sale, and I can provide all these to SoffSeal for 'the cause'. I would hope eventually they would provide me w/ a new set (or at least return my old set unmangled!)

So, my thought is if you could either run the idea by them, or forward my mail to your SoffSeal contact, or send me their contact.

Thanks!

John
Tuesday, March 24, 2009 9:21 PM
Hey add me in. We need the quarter window seal to the front window. Getting a breeze through that one! I may have to go get something that will work for now it's that bad!

Saturday, April 11, 2009 6:23 AM
Just checking in on it.

JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

Friday, April 17, 2009 7:56 PM
Update: I spoke with SoffSeal today and they are making progress with the door seals for the first and 2nd gen models. The window weatherstrip (window belt) is a different matter. Because the piece is a rubberized aluminum extruded piece, it is not cost effective (profitable) for them to make the tooling for this. However, he said they were considering making a stand-alone rubber strip that can be attached to the existing aluminum molding. The trick would be to remove the old rubber from the aluminum and how to attach the new rubber strip to it. The rubber strip could be attached using a pre-attached strip of 3M tape. As far as the aluminum strip, a black trim paint should replicate the look of the rubber coating. Please note that this has not been chiseled in stone and things may change.
I’ll keep you posted…
Friday, April 17, 2009 9:07 PM
Hi Scott,

Thanks for your ongoing work and updates!

Just to clarify- is this effort just for the ragtops, or is there anything in the works for the hatchback and sedan 1st gen crowd?

If not....I FINALLY recieved from a seller a used set of '87 hatchback door inner seals, and the rear side (triangular) window seals. They are fully intact, generally good shape. No rips, tears, distortions. The seller had no door belt seals or the hatch seal though.

On my Z24, the door belt seals look to be all solid rubber- no aluminum that I can see. The door belt seals are getting cracked/dry rot on my car.

Would the door inner seals and rear side window seals be useful and of interest to Soffseal?

-John

Friday, August 21, 2009 5:07 PM
Just a quick update; I spoke with the R&D at SoffSeal earlier this week and they are very close to producing the seals. The ETA is mid October this year with full retail towards the end of this year. They will be producing all of the convertible weatherstrip for the 1st and 2nd gens, but will not produce the outer window belt weatherstrip at this time. A work-around may involve a special type of flat rubberized paint and replacement rubber to apply to the old part.
Saturday, August 22, 2009 11:18 PM
Wow that is funny I sent a mail to them in regards to the WINDOW SWEEP that is the exterior seal on the doors that is molded and goes against the glass.I have considered buying some seal material from metrommp a seal manuf and use some 3m emblem tape or molding tape what ever to put over mine that are cracked and or toast.

Monday, September 21, 2009 12:09 PM
I need all rubber parts for my 83 Cavalier convertable top, doors and window wipes so add me to your list. Lee Allen
Thursday, September 24, 2009 5:56 PM
I think we're going to be stuck making our own. Aren't the seals pop riveted on? I think they are on the FIero's. I have a set, so I'll take a look at them.
Thursday, September 24, 2009 7:47 PM
So, what's the latest word on these? I've only had half a window felt on the outside driver's side since I bought the car...
Thursday, September 24, 2009 8:14 PM
closer9 wrote:So, what's the latest word on these? I've only had half a window felt on the outside driver's side since I bought the car...

My Z isn't in that bad of shape yet. It does have several split lines in the edging. What I don't understand is why someone makes brand new dew wipes for the Fiero's, but not the Cavaliers......at least our years.
Friday, October 02, 2009 5:46 PM
Do they have any seals for the pop out quarter windows on the coups? Mine leak when I drive through a car wash.

Monday, February 15, 2010 7:03 PM
Update: A few weeks ago I got a first run of the convertible top seals. This set included all of the seals that are mounted on to the convertible top (the seals behind/above the quarter window and the seal that is above the door across the convertible header). SoffSeal did an excellent job reproducing the seals. The went into the existing track very well and fit together really well with no gaps. Any seals with mounting hardware were fashioned so that they will not rust. I spoke with them today and was told that they should go into production sometime in the near future (sorry no dates were given). They are still working on the inner door seals, quarter window seals and a solution for the outer window sweeps (the seal outside that rides against the door window). I am hopeful that they will be able to reproduce the felts that the door window rides inside (especially the front one right next to the mirror).
Otherwise, I've finally got all of the rusty panels replaced and the entire unibody media blasted. I'm currently transforming gen 2 doors into gen 1 convertible doors, what a pain (it sure would be nice if I could simply order some outer door skins). I'm hoping to have the project completed sometime this year (I'm SOO ready to start shooting the epoxy primer).
Tuesday, February 16, 2010 3:06 AM
Thats great news I cant wait!!!!

JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 6:06 AM
This is wonderful to hear! Our cars are getting older and that rubber is getting more brittle...so this will help many of us out

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 6:12 AM
You've made my car very happy.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 10:25 PM
Kick azz is the best I can say!!!!

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 8:11 PM
Well....any more recent updates? I just acquired an 85 Convertible in Alabama (rust free!) with 89k actual miles. Beautiful car inside and out. The weatherstripping is its worst problem. I'm in the market for all they offer.

And kudos to you for pursuing this.
Wednesday, July 14, 2010 2:53 PM

Count me in for one set of sweeps when they get'em lined out. Possibly two sets......one for a vert and another for a coupe.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search