Weatherstrips - Market research - Page 3 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Weatherstrips - Market research
Tuesday, July 20, 2010 7:03 PM
Sorry for the late post. I picked up the door and qtr window seals a few months ago from Soffseal at the spring Carlisle car show in April and Soffseal did a very good job reproducing the seals. The door seals were very accurate, requiring no modifications. The qtr window seals were a little tricky to install requiring me to slightly expand the original extruded metal housing in order to slide on the new seals; simple once you know the trick Unfortunately, no news on the window sweeps or the flocking that sits in the window slide and wraps behind the door mirrors. The last I heard was that the convertible top and other seals may go into retail production later this year (I’ll check up on this). Hope this helps.

Thursday, July 29, 2010 9:43 AM
By then I will have decided to get rid of my strained lol

Jason

USACi =>146.9db
14.88 @ 90.73MPH =>GM Charger, Motor Mounts, Catback exhaust
Monday, November 22, 2010 5:15 PM
I'd be interested in a set of convertible weatherstripping. I ask at the info booths for any weatherstripping firms @ Carlisle (Pa) shows, but as of yet none have taken any interest in marketing a line of products for the J series. I'm looking for door perimeter & top rail window seals for Gen I (84-87) convertibles.
Thursday, January 27, 2011 6:47 PM
I've been meaning to post this for a while, but kept forgetting. For those who are interested, I had good success replacing my window sweeps (the outer door glass scraper seal) with a product made by Fairchild industries and sold by JC Whitney:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/inner-and-outer-belt-weatherstripping-universal/p2008570.jcwx?skuId=225817&filterid=j1&_requestid=510426#

It has almost the exact profile of the current sweep rubber on my '87 2-door cavalier coupe. Here's how I installed it:
After removing the old sweeps, I used a boxcutter to cut off all the old dried-out rubber, as much as possible. I also cut the lower "bead" off the metal left behind from the old sweep, to get a flat mounting surface, using a simple pair of straight snips. After cutting the new sweep to length, I notched the lower edge to match the profile of the old sweep, providing clearance for the window to be able to roll all the way up (you'll know what i mean if you look at where the center of the door glass meets the sweep). I also cut relief cuts into the sweep at the place where the sweep bends upward at the mirror.

After forming the sweep to the right shape, I used a bunch of 1/4" pop rivets to attach the new sweep to the metal left from the old sweep. Installed, the fit is a little tight, but the window rolls up and down just fine... and no more cracked, leaky windows! They've been on the car for a year now with no issues.

If anyone has questions or would like to see what it looks like mounted on my car, let me know.

Terry

1987 Chevrolet Cavalier 2-door coupe
with 1996 2.2L MPFI
Friday, February 25, 2011 8:41 PM
Scott Taylor wrote:I am hopeful that they will be able to reproduce the felts that the door window rides inside (especially the front one right next to the mirror).

Yes, I need that. Pretty disturbing watching water run into the car everytime it rains. At least there is a huge hole in the floor for it to drain out.. I would buy any piece that is made.
Wednesday, October 05, 2011 1:02 PM
Yes, I am a really late on this one. I just joined the group and I badly need the weatherstrips that sit atop of the door panels of my 1987 Cavalier Convertible RS. I called SoffSeal and spoke with Melissa who told me that they have no order for such. Did this not move forward based on volume or what?
Thanks.
Saturday, March 03, 2012 6:26 PM
Update?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search