87 z24 build thread - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
87 z24 build thread
Sunday, May 13, 2012 9:45 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this. If it isn't go ahead and move it to the right place. TIA

This is the build thread for my 1987 z24. Here are pics of it right after I bought it:

Re: 87 z24 build thread
Sunday, May 13, 2012 9:46 PM
I know it is an old idea but it is FREE. I am going to pick up a Crown Royal bag from a friend to turn into a shift boot.
Monday, May 14, 2012 6:29 AM
Nice looking car. Looks like a larger exhaust. Great starting point.

Monday, May 14, 2012 7:32 AM
The exhaust came with the car. It is a Meineke special. lol Not sure of the diameter.
Monday, May 14, 2012 3:29 PM
Looks like a nice solid car and the 5 spd makes it a lot more fun. Do you have any history on the car? One owner?

Monday, May 14, 2012 7:11 PM
I am the 3rd owner. That is all the history I have on it.
Monday, May 14, 2012 7:43 PM
Uh where is the console between the seats?Unless you pulled it for some work.Car looks fairly solid and getting started on what to do is always fun.Should be nice to get it up to par on various levels as we all have been thru or still going thru.

Monday, May 14, 2012 7:47 PM
Yeah, I am awaiting a new shift boot to finish putting it together.
Tuesday, May 15, 2012 7:03 AM
Aaron-

From where did you source your shifter boot? I need one for my 84.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 6:22 PM
I am making one out of a Crown Royal bag. That is IF I can get my hands on one. If not I'll buy a leather one from Auto Zone or somewhere.
Wednesday, May 16, 2012 5:56 PM

Thursday, May 17, 2012 9:38 AM
Nice!

Appears to fit perfectly.

Thursday, May 17, 2012 10:43 AM
You should paint your car purple and gold and then contact Seagram's. Perhaps they would sponsor your build? Lol...

Thursday, May 17, 2012 4:18 PM
What a nice result Aaron!!

Gotta admit I half heartedly believed you were just joking , but by golly it works just fine - next time I'll be ready!! :-)

Some of the 1st gens are heading toward they're '30s , and as they do, it'll take some ingenuity to achieve results . I bet someone will see your idea one day and borrow it!! Imitation is the highest form of flattery!!

Keep up the good work, Aaron. As always shower us with photos!!

Thursday, May 17, 2012 10:26 PM
Appreciate it, Orlen!! Next on the agenda is mechanical stuff. Power steering leak, front brakes, CV axles, and then more cosmetic stuff.
Friday, May 18, 2012 5:07 PM
I really want to lower this thing!!! Has anyone tried the sleeve coilovers on their 1st Gen?? I'm not sure how it would work in the rear with the springs not being on the rear spring/strut. Looking for any insight. Thanks in advance.

I got a random idea and decided to paint a wheel to see how it looks. Here is what I did:

Went from this:

To this:

Not sure if I like it. Probably going to go with a gunmetal or black. Opinions welcome!!
Friday, May 18, 2012 5:09 PM
Sorry, this is the BEFORE photo:

Saturday, May 19, 2012 4:26 AM
Aaron Donnelly wrote:I really want to lower this thing!!! Has anyone tried the sleeve coilovers on their 1st Gen?? I'm not sure how it would work in the rear with the springs not being on the rear spring/strut. Looking for any insight. Thanks in advance.

These are all I could find on Ebay 82-95 Skyhawk/Beretta/Cavalier/Cutlass/Grand AM 1.0" Lowering Springs Kit
SUSPENSION TECHNIQUES ST SUSPENSIONS LOWERING SPRING

Like what you did with the wheel looks much better

Saturday, May 19, 2012 6:40 AM
Your wheel query has given me pause with my own issue with some Pontiac wheels I have. I want to take the 4 worst ones and spray them too. Had originally planned to find the brightest metallic silver I could get!! Now I think I'll tone my ideas down a bit!!

The wonderful part with paint is you can always change it if you don't like it. It is your own canvas!!

My thoughts for your wheels would be to color match them up to one or two of those tints of silver on your low body tape stripe on the ground effects. That way they would blend in with the color pattern. I'm thinking black might be a little too much black.

Thanks for giving me something to think about!! Probably saved me from doing the very same thing!!

Saturday, May 19, 2012 9:28 AM

Spike J: Those won't lower it enough for me. I want it pretty low. That is why I was thinking the sleeve coilovers. Something like this:

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 8:14 AM
Going to start stockpiling parts for this. Gonna order some polyurethane bushings for the front (not sure they make them for the rear). Gonna figure out my lowered suspension issue. Gotta fix the PS leak and clean the engine bay. Oh, and also need new CV axles and front brakes.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 1:16 PM
Dunno what you specific leak issue is.

If you can't find exctly where the fluid is coming from. J-Bodys are notorious for leaking at the pinion seal in the rack. That seal will actually be inside the drivers compartment, ( just below the 2nd pinch bolt)but has a cover to allow the fluid to leak outside via a special pathway built into the housing.
As usual the cure is worse than the cause - have to rplace the rack. You can get a seal kit , but it's best to replace the rack.

Replacing the rack is a mess with the 2.0 OHC & 1.8 OHV - I've had to do both of mine. I'd hate to fight the 2.8 & it's exhaust :-0.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 1:31 PM
Orlen is so right cant imagine pulling the rack and only changing the seal .The other thing is i would call who ever you plan to buy it from and give them your vin as i found out there are at least three diff rent racks i purchased from rock auto and ended up having to have them call gm for the correct one as the "2 that were listed " would not fit nothing worse than having the old one out and not being able to replace when you have to wait for it to be shipped.

K923

[IMG]
Tuesday, May 22, 2012 8:05 PM
Would a leak in rack cause the PS pump to SQUEAL!?!? LOL I was going to replace the PS pump.
Wednesday, May 23, 2012 4:57 AM
Aaron, my ole Lady has a 3rd gen Cav. ( it's the red thing behind my Pontiac in my Sig. - LoL) , and if memory serves, we had a similar issue with hers. The belt was squealing on us. I noticed on your engine photo, that you have what seems to be the large serpentine belt that is common on everything out there today.
Our issue was finally settled when the tensioner gave out - and boy was it a PIA to get off after it sprung itself out too....LoL.
My first suggestion might be to replace your tensioner. I've even had to replace the idler pulleys on my '86 wagon,and my '86 Ranger too, which is kinda serving a similar purpose. The good thing is they are cheap - around $20 and you might as well toss in a new belt , too , for good measure. :-)
I might be a bit assuming that you actually have a tensioner in there. You can check to see if you have an adjustment on the alternator there. Anyways, it's something you can take a few minutes and root around.

If this is your issue, at least it would be a nice cheap fix for ya!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search