Z24 digital cluster question - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Z24 digital cluster question
Thursday, January 05, 2006 3:31 PM
Do the miles on the odometer get saved in the computer or in the cluster itself. I am asking becasue the car I am restoring only has 89,000 original mile but the cluster is actiing up a little and so I was thinking of switching it out with another one I have. Let me know if you know anything about this. Thanks

Re: Z24 digital cluster question
Thursday, January 05, 2006 6:38 PM
the odometer is saved in the cluster. id swap to another one or have yours fixed

Thursday, January 05, 2006 7:10 PM
Thats what I thought. Just thought i would be sure before I did anyhting. Thanks
Wednesday, January 18, 2006 1:07 PM
Dang Sharkey, that's a bad @$$ looking '86. Is that a stock hood? And also nice choice of rims.

OBJECTS ON MIRROR ARE FORDS AND HONDAS
Friday, February 17, 2006 4:55 PM
there is a small flash memory chip that can be removed from the cluster, and replaced on the other cluster that has the mileage saved to it. I'll see if I can find an old cluster in my garage and take a picture.

Saturday, February 18, 2006 10:03 AM
Thanks that would help and is what I would like to do so I can keep the right mileage on the odometer since it is such a low mileage car.
Wednesday, April 12, 2006 3:31 PM
ok I have a pic I just took it, looking at the top of the cluster you'll see in my pic a small blue rectangular object in the cut out; that is the milage memory, ya get a pair of needle nose pliers or something to that effect and just pull it strait out, and to put the new one in you just do the opposite...make sure you put it back in the exact same way as it was in there, the ID sticker should be facing the back of the cluster

Wednesday, April 12, 2006 4:19 PM
oh yeah one more thing I just thought about something, if you get a cluster out of a later year (like 90-91) you'll be able to see your speed beyond 85mph instead of that annoying flashing 85...I did it, so far I have seen 102mph on the speedometer
Thursday, April 13, 2006 2:36 PM
The cars sold in Canada didn't flash when they hit 85mph as far as I know. I got 115mph out of mine. I was having troubles with the cluster so I purchased one of Ebay from the US and it only goes up to 85mph.

Bob Larrett

87 Cavalier Z24 Hatchback
82 Cavalier Type 10 Hatchback
Thursday, April 13, 2006 6:34 PM
thanks for the picture. I should help. My old 87z if I remember went over 85 but maybe I am mistaken.
Friday, April 14, 2006 5:18 AM
learn something new everyday, I know the one that was origianly in mine would blink 85 when ya went over, and my tach was going crazy, so I bought one off a friend who was parting out a 91 I think, and was shocked when I saw that it went over, but my tach is still wacko...I'm thinking a bad ground, or something stupid like that.

and no problem for the pic, anything I can do to help

Saturday, August 20, 2011 12:56 AM
would a bad ground cause the tach and the speed to be maxxed out at idle?
My 86 z24 was sitting for a couple years and when i went and started it up the tach maxxed out at idle and the speedo was reading 188
Saturday, August 20, 2011 3:23 PM
Thanks for that info on how to fix the mileage when u switch dashes hatched z now my 87 z 24 is reading the 72,000 original miles again. Wish i would have known that sooner
Sunday, August 21, 2011 10:09 PM
Umm this post is from 2006 and sharkey has not posted on here in years literally.He was on the spot with the Js for sure.

Monday, August 22, 2011 1:35 AM
Someone else posted on it that's the only reason I seen it didn't look at the date of the previous post but the info was helpfull was just trying to thank him. Just glad to have the odimeter showing the correct milage.
Monday, August 22, 2011 8:19 PM
Its all good.I sometimes scroll wayyyy back in old post to share stuff I did or a subject that will help others that are new to the 1st gen oddities.Kinda like my new battery cables and as close to a oem cable I got from a local batteries plus store(chain place).And yeah the pics are still with that post being I keep them on cardomain with my page there.If interested in it is several years old now but on here.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 8:12 PM
I am always interested if stuff like that
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search