My springs lifted me - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
My springs lifted me
Friday, April 29, 2005 8:48 PM
was in the process of installing the new suspension... got the front end done, came to the rear and my 1 inch drop rated eibachs lifted the back by about 3 or 4 inches. the stock springs have 5 coils and these have 8. what the @!#$?

Originality and Creativity surpasses Popularity

Re: My springs lifted me
Friday, April 29, 2005 10:44 PM
Your old springs were shot.

When in doupt, grub.
Friday, April 29, 2005 11:34 PM
granted, I already knew that. what does that have to do with the new springs?

Saturday, April 30, 2005 1:00 AM
eiback=.8" drop, so if your stockers were saggin more than an inch, it will be noticable. the eiback springs are progressive, so the coils get closer together at the top. the only thing that is important is the overall hight of the stock and eiback springs, the eibacks should be just a bit shorter.

if they raised your car 3-4", you installed them wrong. make sure they arent hanging up on the nub on the axle.

Saturday, April 30, 2005 12:12 PM
Yeh eibachs raised the back of my car maybe 1/4" but i like it better that way. I like the car to sit even, not the rear lower than the front.
(stock springs had the rear tire tucking under the fender)

Saturday, April 30, 2005 12:16 PM
u did somethig wrong, or put the fronts on the back.

-Borsty
Saturday, April 30, 2005 7:36 PM
funny how I said the fronts fit perfect. I don't think you guys grasp what I said. the rear of my car is currently lifted by another three inches... WITHOUT my shocks on. These new springs I got have 8 coils in them, aren't they supposed to just have 5 anyway? I think they sent me the wrong rear set. I've cross-refferenced the item stock number over and over but I'm pretty sure they've made a mistake. and now I won't be able to get anywhere til monday anyway. Yes, I realize if the old springs were worn out and you put new ones on, there'll sure to be a noticable difference. this isn't a noticable difference, this is a stand out mistake. I look like I have a lift kit on my rear. I'm not gonna say I'm perfect or claim to know 100% of what I'm doing in anything I do, but I can surely say I know front springs from the rear springs, and this literally isn't sitting right.

Saturday, April 30, 2005 8:34 PM
Eibachs have more coils in the back .. this is so they will be stiffer and stop the car from bucking back when you get on the gas like the stock springs do. With the eibachs you should have about a 1/2" gap between your back tire and fender, if not, something is wrong with the install. Make sure you have the bottom bump stop seated right. make sure the spring coil end is up against the spring stop on the top .. or else it wont seat right. (yes there is a correct way the springs need to be turned in the seats for them to sit right, i didn't realise this until i had my shocks already installed

Saturday, April 30, 2005 8:51 PM
thanks pezed, actually just checked them out. they seem to be seated right. upon further inspection I noticed the following:

Actual order number 3805.140
Number on front springs 3805.201
Number on rear springs 3805.102

is this supposed to be like that or shouldn't the springs have the actual order number printed on them (3805.140)? and what are these other two numbers. mitch said what I assumed... it's likely I got a mix-matched set.?

Sunday, May 01, 2005 11:15 AM
I'll crawl under and look at my car in a minute but those numbers seem right to me from memory.

Sunday, May 01, 2005 1:47 PM
I'd appreciate that a lot man... just for the sake of process of elimination. let me know cause I'm contacting my distributor about the problem tomorrow.

as sharkey mentioned... the new springs should be a bit shorter than stock and as I've mentioned the ones I have for my rear are taller. so if you say the numbers don't match that's plenty evidence for me.

Sunday, May 01, 2005 2:14 PM
I just looked at mine
Rear: 3805.102
Front 3805.201

Sunday, May 01, 2005 3:05 PM
Here is a pic of how it sits with the springs:

Sunday, May 01, 2005 3:58 PM
thanks pezed. I guess the plot thickens then. all I can figure to do is take them off and put them back on... I don't know what other trial and error to do. apparently I have the correct springs afterall I just don't see how they're not sitting right.

Sunday, May 01, 2005 5:19 PM
your not gonna notice a dramatic lowering in the frist day or two.

give them a few days in the sun and driving on and you'll notice them to settle down.

Monday, May 02, 2005 4:46 PM
steng, it lifted my rear by three inches. the eibachs are supposed to be slightly shorter than stock, these are taller. I know springs have to settle but this is rediculous.

coximports told me today they are contacting an eibach engineer to figure it out and will let me know the situation tomorrow. Pezed said his had the same numbers on them but I can't figure this out. I'm gonna try to get some pics of how it's sitting with them on and then a comparison of the stock vs aftermarket next to each other and measure out the difference.

if they're the right springs, how can they be so much taller?

Monday, May 02, 2005 4:51 PM
Have you tried taking the shocks out and seeing how it sits? don';t drive it like that of course.

Monday, May 02, 2005 5:54 PM
it's been like that. I never put shocks on it. didn't wanna lock my new shocks extended like that. the more and more I think about it the more and more it bugs me. like I said, they're gonna give me some type of new info on the situation tomorrow, says they. and I guess I'll find something out. if I send these back to them and they send me a new pair and they're the same my head will explode. When I started getting stuff in and the project got set into motion it was smooth then set backs from hell started settling in. early yesterday we found a little oil in the turbo and a blown O-ring. It's fixed now tho. but the springs... well. we'll see.

Monday, May 02, 2005 6:41 PM
Weird.....

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 5:42 PM
Get a pic, we need to see this

]
Here's some Evidence
Wednesday, May 04, 2005 6:55 PM
forget A pic.... here's 5 of 'em

anyone believe me now? The pic of the wheel well was with only ONE spring on and it was still that high. As you can see, the eibachs are almost the same size but slightly taller than the stock.

An engineer personally attempted to concact me today. of course I was at work, but apparently eibach has something to say and are trying to get in touch with me. I'm going to try to get a hold of him tomorrow on my lunch hour.

so what's your input now that you see for yourself?

Re: Here's some Evidence
Wednesday, May 04, 2005 7:26 PM
put some mudders on it, and go 4x4ing. lol.

that's high yo!

Thursday, May 05, 2005 7:09 AM
Those are definetely not the right springs. The correct Eibachs only have 2 or 3 high rate coils, not 5 like those. Those could be L or N body springs.

Thursday, May 05, 2005 7:22 AM
steng- yah, some of the guys around the shop thought it was funny too and said the same thing. I wasn't laughin but then I said we could just turn it into a Baja project instead. It is high, especially with both springs on and WITHOUT shocks.

james- see this is what I've been sayin. Would the J and N body springs have the same number printed on them as the J's? either way, I'm going to try my best to contact this guy from Eibach. I knew they weren't right the moment I put them on and I knew I installed them right.

thanks for those who said I installed them wrong. *cough*

Thursday, May 05, 2005 9:29 AM
Listening in - I'm doing my install and have the same springs so...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search