TPS help - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
TPS help
Monday, April 21, 2008 11:55 AM
ok i have searched & do believe my TPS is going out, cause i have intermittent idle issues, will idle just fine & then start going up & down & then will almost die & pick back up, or will die & restart makes it idle way up for a few seconds & then settle down & when in gear & coming to a stop alot of times it will die cause idle starts going up & down as stopping occurs so i have to use a foot on gas & a foot on brake...

What I want to know is where is the tps on a 91 sunbird located.... I have the 3.1 v6 if that helps

& also is it a pretty easy swap & what steps do I have to take to make sure the new one works when I swap them out...

Thanks in advance

MikeC!
91 sunbird Convertible
3.1 with an automatic
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3038464

Re: TPS help
Monday, April 21, 2008 1:25 PM
tps are always in the same location. on the throttle body, directly across from the throttle linkage.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Wednesday, April 23, 2008 4:04 PM
Check your idle air motor. Sounds like the same thing that happened to me.....
Moe
Thursday, April 24, 2008 6:44 AM
ok the idle air motor.......

where in the f is that at....

orielley's doesn't list a price for it.... have to check autozone & napa for it....

what does it do?

MikeC!
91 sunbird Convertible
3.1 with an automatic
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3038464
Thursday, April 24, 2008 6:54 PM
iac is also in line with your throttle plate, if you can look at your butterfly, and see a hole off to one side, then the module on the otherside of that hole is where your iac is.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 9:11 PM
Not to discredit the above post comments but,?Does the idle only fluctuate while driving and coming to a stop or the idle is all over the place all the time.The reason I ask is bc being u have a automatic the TCC switch or better know as the the torque convertor clutch (module or switch as it's labeled) could be toast and this affects the IDLE while sitting or moving or coming to a stop.There is a plug that mounts on the trans should be a two wire plug u can simply discon it and if the issue goes away that is prob the issue.Next has the trans fluid been changed lately? If the fluid is over 50,000 it's toast and u need to change it and replace the above part and filter if the car has one,I know advance auto parts sells the TCC and they call it a module not a switch so u can do a search with ur cars info and look in transmission parts on there search and u should find it.I may be wrong but,based on the symptoms this leans towards what I am thinking bc the if the IAC or TPS where going ur idle would be up and down all the time and can be checked with a multimeter at least the tps can not the iac.I know this is a lot of info so stipulate exactly as my ? ask what's occurring to the letter.I would hate to see u spend money on the wrong problem,even if I am wrong in my accessement.Hope this helps.

Sunday, April 27, 2008 12:26 AM
the TCC stuck locked in would cause engine stall in gear at a stop when it has been driven at a fast enough speed to lock it in, via the ECm

idle fluctuations and such would not be due to a stuck TCC

i would check the MAF and clean the IAC valve and hole its threaded in with carb cleaner and blow gun

gummed carboned up IAC is a very common issues on GM products especially

i have had to clean many of them and it fixes the idle issues many times

it is the idle air control valve and it controls your idle, variably

after unscrewing it fromt he TB unit and cleaning it and the hole out really super good then d/c the battery cable for a little bit and then start run stop the vehicle many times and make sure it idles good always

report back with what happens

the IAC needs a pretty big wrench to remove it, around 1" or 1 and 1/16"

somewhere around there

big hex and also round and pretyt good sized electrical plug on the end of it

want a pic of it if you cant find it at all then lemme know and ill pic a GM IAC for you

it is in the TB unit like the TPS are and so forth

good luck

-96 cavalier 2.2 auto 143k miles
Sunday, April 27, 2008 1:20 PM
mr wabbit wrote:i would check the MAF

you would, would you?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search