All Show Big Brake Kits? - Page 2 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: All Show Big Brake Kits?
Saturday, March 03, 2007 7:12 PM
My pic above is exactly what they sent me. The fronts came completely assembled, with the hub in place and that one nut holding the rotor secure. I just had to swap over the ABS sensor.

When I sent mine back, I sent it the same way. Hub included.

I guess they've stopped doing that. Really, it didn't make much sense, but it sure made things a bit easier.

Saturday, March 03, 2007 7:20 PM
Nice!

Yeah those kit should come with hubs included. Thats odd.

I'd reccomond getting those rotors powdercoated or painted. So they wont have brownish rust on them in future.

Saturday, March 03, 2007 8:55 PM
WHAT? Damn I didnt even get hubs with my kit.. Just want you see pictured is what I got...

Phewes,, you saying get the rotors powdercoated? Or did you mean the calipers?

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Sunday, March 04, 2007 7:17 AM
He means the rotors, otherwise you'll get rust anywhere that the brakepad doesn't make contact with the rotor.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Sunday, March 04, 2007 8:20 AM
What do you mean "sent yours back", Kev?

14.330 @ 96.37mph
Sunday, March 04, 2007 9:01 AM
First off, I've never heard of getting rotors powdercoated. Baer offers them zinc coated to prevent corrosion. I'm not sure if that's standard or an option. Mine are coated and years later, they still look new. I wouldn't get these rotors any other way since they're going to last so long.

As I mentioned, it really doesn't make much sense for Baer to send the hubs with the kit... but they used to. It was convenient, but obviously not necessary. You're buying the machined knuckle with the bracket on it... not the hub.

BlownBlackZ: Baer includes a core charge when they sell you a kit. Since they're giving you the machined knuckle (and, in the past, the hub), you get your core charge back when you send back your originals. When I sent mine back, I sent it just as they sent theirs, with the hub included.

Sunday, March 04, 2007 9:09 AM
Ahh I see WW.. Thanks....

Yeah im not getting my rotors coated.. I did think about getting the calipers coated, we'll see... The rotors dont need to be, like WW said, they have a special coating on them.

306 TQ
Sunday, March 04, 2007 10:48 AM
No those rotors doesnt have special coating on them! Just ask Carboncav04, how his BBK rotors turned out over time without them coated. I've seen a lot of exotic cars such as Porsche, Benz.. etc.. those got big brakes. I can see brown rust on them at any time.

Thats how mine looks like with them painted with high temp paint. I've never have any brown rust on them at all! It always looks like new.

Do you see any brown? Even with flash ON from my camera.

Sunday, March 04, 2007 10:53 AM
Hey Phewes...

Check my picture on the last page. It may not look like it, but mine are definitely coated. Still no rust on the edges or anything after a few years.

As I said though... I'm not sure whether Baer does this standard or whether you have to request and pay for it. I just can't remember.

Sunday, March 04, 2007 10:59 AM
Take a pic of yours right now with flash on.

Sunday, March 04, 2007 1:59 PM
Just took this a minute ago. Installed in October, 2003, and driven daily all year round.

Sunday, March 04, 2007 3:32 PM
Darren, what color high temp paint did you use on them?

306 TQ
Sunday, March 04, 2007 4:39 PM
Wild Weasel wrote:Just took this a minute ago. Installed in October, 2003, and driven daily all year round.

You don't see all the rust around the outer edge and on the inner edge of the rotor where the pad doesn't contact? I certainly do. I'll show you what he's talking about in MS Paint if you want.

Sunday, March 04, 2007 4:53 PM
Phewes wrote:No those rotors doesnt have special coating on them! Just ask Carboncav04, how his BBK rotors turned out over time without them coated. I've seen a lot of exotic cars such as Porsche, Benz.. etc.. those got big brakes. I can see brown rust on them at any time.

Thats how mine looks like with them painted with high temp paint. I've never have any brown rust on them at all! It always looks like new.

Do you see any brown? Even with flash ON from my camera.

SEXY

Sunday, March 04, 2007 6:55 PM
Team Vision Racing (aka hypsy) wrote:You don't see all the rust around the outer edge and on the inner edge of the rotor where the pad doesn't contact? I certainly do. I'll show you what he's talking about in MS Paint if you want.

I see a little bit of brown on rotors that are over 3 years old.

Take a pic of some stock 3 year old rotors and I'm sure we'll see a noticable difference. I'm just demonstrating that the zinc coating works.

Sunday, March 04, 2007 7:33 PM
But what Phewes is saying is that if you had painted the rotors, like he and I did, you wouldn't have that rust PERIOD.

Monday, March 05, 2007 7:14 AM
Ah. Gotcha.

And in the context of this thread, where the guys wants them purely for show, it certainly makes sense!

Man... I haven't seen Phewes' car in person in ages. I've definitely gotta check it out in the spring sometime...

Monday, March 05, 2007 2:44 PM
I used Dupicolor Aluminum high temp engine paint on all 4 rotors. Z2FLIP4 had them done before me.. I just re-painted them.

Be sure to clean them well with gas on rags or else, then paint will stick on good.

Thanks Aaron!

Kevin, check out JCO boards or some shows I may attend this soming spring and summer.

Monday, March 05, 2007 7:17 PM
Thanks a ton for this info and PICS! Tons of help!
Monday, March 05, 2007 7:23 PM
ling427ttvette wrote:
Uncivilized R.T. wrote:
ling427ttvette wrote:Why the @!#$ would a person buy brakes to show them off, I buy brakes to be able to stop my car...

I am sure glad people like u post on here. You seem to have so many helpful thoughts for this thread. Thanks again for responding......

Well I mean seriously, why would someone buy brakes just to show them off? I can understand wanting bigger brakes to stop the car better for track use and stuff, but big brakes just to show them off is asinine to me.

Of course, I like to drive my car other places then on and off of a trailer.

I'm sorry for being dis-respectful like that, but I just don't like it when people buy stuff for shows only. Use it for its intended purpose man.

Ok I didnt wanna just put it out there and make u look ignorant in the first responce, but you just refuse to leave well enough alone. Ok as you read this think about what you are reading. I am wanting a Big Brake Kit for Show purposes. Ok if I want a BBK kit then obviously they are gonna be used to stop the car as well.......

Of course I like to drive my car other places since I dont travel with it on a trailer. I drive another car around as my daily as does my wife. The cavalier is one of our fun cars. Once again......thankfully we have people like you here to make useless posts. Without you who else would be make fun of?
Friday, March 09, 2007 4:20 AM
Here are my big brakes..

Friday, March 09, 2007 9:38 AM
Yea see these are what i am looking for. Thanks for the pics guys!
Friday, March 09, 2007 12:57 PM
Excuse my laziness, does anyone have a quote for the Baer kit (front + rear)? SSBC is nice, but I get the feeling Baer may be a bit cheaper.

--------------------------------------------------------
2002 Sunfire -->
- Ractive steering wheel
- ASA 17" EM9 + Nexen N5000 215/45/17 (steelies for winter)
- D-Spec Lowering kit @ 1.4" (issues currently )
- Rockford P250.1 + MTX MZS1004 + Panasonic CQ-C8313U head unit
- Barely legal tint.
Tuesday, March 13, 2007 8:24 PM
Here's my set I'm not going to use since I am planning a g/a irs

E-Bay #160095489375

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 9:51 PM
what kit is that. Seems high when i can get Either of the 2 listed about for just a little more than 700 bucks and they are brand new with everything i need....
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search