Rear Tie Bar Installed With Pics - Page 2 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Rear Tie Bar Installed With Pics
Thursday, December 03, 2009 6:55 AM
are the holes drilled on the rear spindles already or do they need drilled? if so what are the drill bit sizes needed? i just wanna make sure i got all of the tools needed to do this and if not what i need to buy,

Thursday, December 03, 2009 7:12 AM
They need to be drilled.
It depends what size heim joints you are going to be using?

Are you planning on making your own, or buying mine?
Thursday, December 03, 2009 9:23 AM
i am going to make my own
Thursday, December 03, 2009 9:31 AM
Then is depends what size heims your going to use.
Make sure you get one LH and one RH heim, this will allow you to play with the rear toe a little if needed!
Thursday, December 03, 2009 9:41 AM
ok great thanks for the help, should i get a low friction heim joint or do you just use a standard heim?
Thursday, December 03, 2009 10:00 AM
I used a percision heim joint, that is self lubricating.
Similar to these ones, depending on size

Heim Joints
Thursday, December 03, 2009 10:30 AM
how long does it take you to make one?

WiGM-Tuners member.

Thursday, December 03, 2009 10:47 AM
I actually have 2 in stock and ready to ship ASAP, I just need to buy hardware for them, but I live right across the street from Lowes so no big deal there!

Let me know if your interested, all I would have to do is polish it up and package it!
Thursday, December 03, 2009 3:40 PM
It'd cost you about as much to make one as it would to buy one from Phil.
His design is great with more than enough beef to the design to hold up under any driving condition.
And yeah, drill the hole the exact size of the bolt and heim you'll be using. You want no play in the connection to the torsion beam. The less play in the connections, the better the bar has a chance to do what it's supposed to do.

Good luck.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Thursday, December 03, 2009 5:26 PM
now just out of curiousity what is everyone running for rear toe?
Thursday, December 03, 2009 10:42 PM
What effect does this have when taking curves? I have the whole setup waiting to be installed.

Friday, December 04, 2009 3:15 AM
It makes the whole rear end feel much more stable during any kind of driving.
Friday, December 04, 2009 4:58 AM
Wish I had some cash now, but I'll definetely be picking one up from ya later for sure Phil.

Friday, December 04, 2009 7:46 AM
Michael Milanovich wrote:now just out of curiousity what is everyone running for rear toe?

There's no toe adjustment for our cars so it really doesn't matter.
But the tie bar will prevent any severe toe change from occurring when you're driving the car hard. That's the whole purporse of the tie bar is to keep the two trailing arms of the torsion beam in parallel with each other so when you do make a corner, both tires follow the same path giving you improved feel while tracking the rear of the car much better.
Hopefully that'll answer a few of the questions on this.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Friday, December 04, 2009 11:21 AM
Misnblu wrote:
Michael Milanovich wrote:now just out of curiousity what is everyone running for rear toe?

There's no toe adjustment for our cars so it really doesn't matter.
But the tie bar will prevent any severe toe change from occurring when you're driving the car hard. That's the whole purporse of the tie bar is to keep the two trailing arms of the torsion beam in parallel with each other so when you do make a corner, both tires follow the same path giving you improved feel while tracking the rear of the car much better.
Hopefully that'll answer a few of the questions on this.

thats what i thought but i didnt know if there was any advantage of allowing a little bit of toe. thats great because when i had my other j body it had terrible sway driving down the highway and scared me quite a few times.
Friday, December 04, 2009 11:38 AM
now here is another question i just thought of, if i were to put air ride on the car will the tie rod bar be interfering with anything?
Friday, December 04, 2009 2:38 PM
Probably not because of where the bar mounts. There should be no interference.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Friday, December 04, 2009 8:59 PM
is there a such thing as too much tie bar?

reason i ask is my bar is pretty massive, pretty sure its bigger than this one and i also have the largest rear sway bar available in the addco at 1".

just dont want to be doing too much of a good thing, unless there is no such thing??

Stand in the corner and SCREAM with me!!!!
Friday, December 04, 2009 9:05 PM
Oh okay. Thanks I try to get the bar installed this weekend.

Friday, December 04, 2009 9:22 PM
Brad I really don't think that you can get the bar too big. With the heims providing necessary motion for flex, there should be no problem.

Thnkin, get that bar on there and good luck with it.
Here's a good how to on installing it and make sure that you drill the holes the exact same size as the hardware you're going to use. This eliminates any play in the bar.
Also try to use some stainless steel hardware instead of anything that can rust.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Saturday, December 05, 2009 5:18 PM
z yaaaa wrote:is there a such thing as too much tie bar?

reason i ask is my bar is pretty massive, pretty sure its bigger than this one and i also have the largest rear sway bar available in the addco at 1".

just dont want to be doing too much of a good thing, unless there is no such thing??

i would say no because it is all on the rear. whenever i worked with an ARCA remax stock car team, we would have a drastic change if we ran a larger diameter sway bar on the front but we were running such soft springs that the sway bar made such a huge difference. as far as the rear we had basically no adjustments based on the rear sway bar diameter.

Sunday, December 06, 2009 9:11 PM
how much for a K brace? 99 cav 2.4 5spd

Monday, December 07, 2009 4:48 AM
Im not sure if my K-Brace will fit the 2.4 5 speed.
I have mine on a 2200 3 speed
Tuesday, December 08, 2009 3:12 PM
pics of the k-brace on your car? or measurements you would need to make one for the 4 spd?
Wednesday, December 09, 2009 6:18 AM
Here are pictures of my front k-member on my 2200 3 sp, along with my custom front radiator brace with radius rods.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search