KYB GR2 & Eibach Pro Questions - Page 2 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: KYB GR2 & Eibach Pro Questions
Wednesday, February 02, 2011 6:50 PM
Paul Chuuamberlin wrote:Remember Everyone who lowers moreless do it on used struts and shocks with normally a lot of K's this is Brand New KYB GR2's which are a bit better then GM Stock ones, just something i dont think many people think when comes to stock Lowering, would anyone agree. ?

WRONG!

i saved up for proper koni's to go with the sportlines.

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!

Wednesday, February 02, 2011 7:27 PM
I just swapped out my ground control/gr2 setup a few days ago. Shocks were fine after 50k miles, surprisingly. Front mounts and springs were a different story, springs were cracking and mounts were cocked to one direction. One of the adjusters was even cocked and stripped all to hell.
Wednesday, February 02, 2011 7:42 PM
I guess for myself I would personally do it right as I have many friends and family that ride in my car and I don't want to be a cheap azz and risk their lives or mine.

Wednesday, February 02, 2011 7:45 PM
Sounds about right 50,000K, were your mounts all original? or did u change them with the GR2's? how many K's are on your Z now? i'm sure my GR2's will do 50K on Eibach Pro's, my Stock 150K Stock Shocks n Struts went all way too 221K before blowing out Smooth Ride all way too the Death of em.. Still got my Stock Struts on front, Love them handles any pothole still Just got my Mount's Replaced in Front they were starting too crunch on sudden upwards inclines, found out they were Completely Ceased from being the originals, turning was all good so almost couldnt ever tell but changed them and there Mint again, But GR2's are pretty nice on my eibach pro kit springs, i got Brand New Shock Mount's as well well replacing stock shocks, should get at least 50,000K out of them no problem my stock ones did me 70,000K's so will see.. on these GR2's.
Wednesday, February 02, 2011 7:52 PM
Ozzie963 wrote:I just swapped out my ground control/gr2 setup a few days ago. Shocks were fine after 50k miles, surprisingly. Front mounts and springs were a different story, springs were cracking and mounts were cocked to one direction. One of the adjusters was even cocked and stripped all to hell.
\

Sounds about right 50,000K, were your mounts all original? or did u change them with the GR2's? how many K's are on your Z now? i'm sure my GR2's will do 50K on Eibach Pro's, my Stock 150K Stock Shocks n Struts went all way too 221K before blowing out Smooth Ride all way too the Death of em.. Still got my Stock Struts on front, Love them handles any pothole still Just got my Mount's Replaced in Front they were starting too crunch on sudden upwards inclines, found out they were Completely Ceased from being the originals, turning was all good so almost couldnt ever tell but changed them and there Mint again, But GR2's are pretty nice on my eibach pro kit springs, i got Brand New Shock Mount's as well well replacing stock shocks, should get at least 50,000K out of them no problem my stock ones did me 70,000K's so will see.. on these GR2's.
Wednesday, February 02, 2011 11:04 PM
Mounts were original as far as i know. The gr2's and ground control coilovers were already installed on the car when i got it, and according to the owner he had put them on 20k miles prior to selling the car to me. That means they were on for 50k miles or about 80,000km. The my set up gave the car horrible ride quality, stiff as hell, every bump felt like it would shake the front end apart. Some how i put up with if for 2 years. I would seriously recommend switching your struts for something meant for lowering springs. The difference in ride quality is amazing.
Wednesday, February 02, 2011 11:47 PM
Ozzie963 wrote:Mounts were original as far as i know. The gr2's and ground control coilovers were already installed on the car when i got it, and according to the owner he had put them on 20k miles prior to selling the car to me. That means they were on for 50k miles or about 80,000km. The my set up gave the car horrible ride quality, stiff as hell, every bump felt like it would shake the front end apart. Some how i put up with if for 2 years. I would seriously recommend switching your struts for something meant for lowering springs. The difference in ride quality is amazing.

My Front Struts are Solid, when i hit any pothole or raised road i can hit it at full speed and like a hard rubber clunk, this front strut i got is one good one i'll say that, rears solid too love the solid rubber clunk...
Thursday, February 03, 2011 2:20 AM
jhimmy huffa wrote:
Ozzie963 wrote:Mounts were original as far as i know. The gr2's and ground control coilovers were already installed on the car when i got it, and according to the owner he had put them on 20k miles prior to selling the car to me. That means they were on for 50k miles or about 80,000km. The my set up gave the car horrible ride quality, stiff as hell, every bump felt like it would shake the front end apart. Some how i put up with if for 2 years. I would seriously recommend switching your struts for something meant for lowering springs. The difference in ride quality is amazing.

My Front Struts are Solid, when i hit any pothole or raised road i can hit it at full speed and like a hard rubber clunk, this front strut i got is one good one i'll say that, rears solid too love the solid rubber clunk...

That "solid rubber clunk" isnt the strut mounts... Your GR2s are blown. And if you think your blown GR2s are nice on the pro-kit, just wait until you pair them with the proper AGXs.

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Thursday, February 03, 2011 3:16 AM

Do it right or not at all.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, February 03, 2011 9:34 AM
LoL my shocks are not blown.. LoL the shock struts are all great sounding... rubber clunk is the sound u wanna hear not a metal clunk. lol
Thursday, February 03, 2011 9:44 AM
I don't have any clunk in my car. If you have clunking something has failed. But seems like you don't really care what people are saying, so enjoy your unsafe worn out suspension.

Thursday, February 03, 2011 10:48 AM
Matthew Jollymore wrote:I don't have any clunk in my car. If you have clunking something has failed. But seems like you don't really care what people are saying, so enjoy your unsafe worn out suspension.

Buddy your car if it hits a pothole a good one etc u're gonna hear the HIT!!!!! okay and if its a rubber hit its good if its a metal hit its bad.. your car doesnt clunk lol but im sure it Hits Hard at times and when it does it had a NICE Rubber Clunk.
Thursday, February 03, 2011 2:29 PM
I bet if someone with a proper suspension setup went for a ride in your car they would hate and I can only imagine how crappy it rides. I have been in so many cars that people have lowering springs on stock replacement struts and its so bad I can't even believe they brag about it cause it down right sucks. As I posted already, I have no "clunk", my car is firm, responsive and predictable. There is a difference between hitting a pot hole and getting a good shake vs having a clunk. And for the record incase you didn't get it the first time, I have no clunk. I'm done with this topic as its rediculous how much your going on how awesome your stock replacement struts are on lowering springs. I guess the ones that did it right with proper lowering struts have it all wrong.

Thursday, February 03, 2011 3:12 PM
ure a dick weed buddy come see my car and its rides REAL Nice, @!#$ dick weed thats never tried pros on GR2's, nothing but UH DICKWEED.
Thursday, February 03, 2011 4:32 PM
"My Car never clunks" you're a idiot buddy i am more then sure you hit things hard at times and u feel its.. rubber clunk buddy seriously u know nothing about GR2's they take a 1.5 drop same as AGX's im not comparing the two but i will tell you this buddy whos never had pair of GR2 on Pro's they Handle without a doubt just as well as AGX's, you're an idiot if u think by Rubber Clunk i mean @!#$, you're an idiot buddy, your car has a nice solid rubber clunk when u hit mad potholes, just face it GR2's are good with Brand New Eibach Pros, Anyone whos interested i highly recommend these just get New Mount's at same time, GR2's & Brand New Eibach Pro's Rule.
Thursday, February 03, 2011 5:19 PM
Yea, no clunks here either. You sir are a certified idiot. Nothing in your strut mounts has enough room to move to cause a clunk, especially if the are new. The clunk is coming from your struts when they bottom out and the reason the are bottoming out is because they cannot handle the reduced travel that the Pro-kit is providing. Once you ride in a properly lowered J-body then you will realize that your struts are blown and your car rides like crap.

Thursday, February 03, 2011 5:39 PM
LoL my shock and struts are not bottoming out, i have Koni Yellows on Sportlines on my other 05 and they do the exact same thing, you guys kill me i bet each one of you.. get the exact same feeling i get in my 03 with GR2's when u hit same type potholes, no way to explain the feeling i guess to you guys ur cars must float which i know is not true cause i have brand new koni yellows @!#$ lol. GR2's love those street sewer holes tho thats for sure Nailed a bunch tonight just thinking of u dumb @!#$Z lol. a bottoming out shock or strut is Metal Clunking... u guys are morons just pisses u off u had to spend more money on a bit of extra life no real ride difference lol.. i have had a couple other J Bodies with GR2 and Pro's and they all went well over 50,000K before blowing out and when GR2 blows out it does it right at the end, and for anyone reading this the rear & front does not collapse or anything might not even notice it for awhile after u feel it blow right out on a certain pothole road but when first metal clunk comes u know its blown, GR2's and Brand New! Pro Eibachs works good just watch for potholes and u will get over 50,000K like i always do when i replace or upgrade a new J-Body i buy, these guys in here just wanna rag on GR2s cause they have never tried em out on brand new or probably used Eibach Pros but i have always used new never second hand pros. maybe the trick.. anyhow's you guys are too funny.
Thursday, February 03, 2011 6:33 PM
Hey man I busted a whole set in less than six months and roads are not bad in dallas

Modding my j since I found the org
Thursday, February 03, 2011 8:43 PM
cause you drove into too many Hard potholes.. GR2 on unsag'D pros will go 50K+
Thursday, February 03, 2011 8:59 PM
Jesus... why do these noobies even ask questions if they aren't going to listen to a word of advice from a large group of people that actually know what they are talking about...

You car rides like absolute crap, I don't care what you think, you've never ridden in a lowered car with proper damping.

Now that you've wasted $300 on GR2s that lasted you maybe 2 weeks... me and the mad scientist have to pull the whole damn thing apart and rebuild it...

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Friday, February 04, 2011 2:41 AM
jhimmy huffa wrote:LoL my shock and struts are not bottoming out, i have Koni Yellows on Sportlines on my other 05 and they do the exact same thing, you guys kill me i bet each one of you.. get the exact same feeling i get in my 03 with GR2's when u hit same type potholes, no way to explain the feeling i guess to you guys ur cars must float which i know is not true cause i have brand new koni yellows @!#$ lol. GR2's love those street sewer holes tho thats for sure Nailed a bunch tonight just thinking of u dumb @!#$Z lol. a bottoming out shock or strut is Metal Clunking... u guys are morons just pisses u off u had to spend more money on a bit of extra life no real ride difference lol.. i have had a couple other J Bodies with GR2 and Pro's and they all went well over 50,000K before blowing out and when GR2 blows out it does it right at the end, and for anyone reading this the rear & front does not collapse or anything might not even notice it for awhile after u feel it blow right out on a certain pothole road but when first metal clunk comes u know its blown, GR2's and Brand New! Pro Eibachs works good just watch for potholes and u will get over 50,000K like i always do when i replace or upgrade a new J-Body i buy, these guys in here just wanna rag on GR2s cause they have never tried em out on brand new or probably used Eibach Pros but i have always used new never second hand pros. maybe the trick.. anyhow's you guys are too funny.

Refer to my previous post. BTW, who purposely hits potholes? They'll break the cords in the tires, bend/break rims, bottom out struts, snap springs, etc...

Friday, February 04, 2011 7:28 AM
I have no clunks in my car and in the front I am just about tucking tire and maybe a tiny little bit higher in the back.

Maybe your description of a clunk is inaccurate. If I hit a good pothole, it's more like a "SMASH!" as everything makes noise (my dash, my inner door panels, change in my cup holders, my suspension bottoming out). And then I say "FU(K!". And on holes like these it would bottom out regardless if I had stock suspension, was dumped, or was in a Cadillac. But other than that my car rides fantastic, it's definitely stiffer than stock, but that's the nature of the beast. But my damping and rebound seems to be properly matched to the springs. But my shocks are designed to be low and they can go really low, like 2.5"+.

There is a reason why companies design shocks specifically for lowered vehicles. Because regular shocks are not designed for a lower ride height. If they could withstand lower ride heights for extended periods I'm sure they would mention this in their product description as they would probably sell a lot more of them. You will probably get away with driving them for a while but they will definitely fail prematurely. It isn't really the hitting of potholes that is going to cause them to fail (although that isn't going to help), it is the fact the shock is going to be partially compressed all the time relative to the manufacturers intended design position.

Friday, February 04, 2011 10:14 AM
Jimmy Hoffa isnt dead. Hes just trolling the JBO under a poorly assumed alias.

Saturday, February 05, 2011 1:00 PM
^^ I heard that. Jimmy Hoffa in the flesh, chillin' on j-body.org.

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 4:29 PM
jhimmy huffa should probably no longer post in thsi section because CLEARLY he has NO IDEA WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT!
holy @!#$ dude... re-read what you wrote and ponder it for a bit... jesus christ!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search