Replacing rear Drums - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Replacing rear Drums
Sunday, July 31, 2011 2:46 PM
Need some help replacing the Rear Drums/Shoes on a 97' Cavalier RS.
Currently, the car will lock the rear brakes up before the front when they are wet...
Give me a list of things I need to replace when doing the brakes. I plan on replacing the Drums, Shoes...and what else? Springs, clips?

Thank you for the help!

Re: Replacing rear Drums
Sunday, July 31, 2011 3:34 PM
get the drums and shoes and the hardware kit

if they ask you big brake or little it will be the little brake package no 97 had the larger ones even tho the parts guys say they do

JBO since July 30, 2001
Sunday, July 31, 2011 3:35 PM
If your going through the trouble of changing out all that drum break stuff, why not just upgrade to neon discs, or wait it out for a bit and get Jeffie's saturn disc brackets?

But if you insist on keeping drums, I'd look into new wheel cylinders, pads, springs, mostly any of the replaceable hardware.. new drums would be nice, and alotta brake clean. You might also consider wheel bearings while your in there, depending on when they were/if last replaced
Sunday, July 31, 2011 4:14 PM
It isn't my turbo'd car, it's my girlfriends daily driver, no need for performance there. I wasn't sure if the new wheel cylinders were needed or not, it's my first time doing drum brakes...even though i've gone through an entire car before lol.
Thanks for the help, just going to have to figure out the whole drum brake assembly now.

Sunday, July 31, 2011 4:32 PM
SLOCAV wrote:It isn't my turbo'd car, it's my girlfriends daily driver, no need for performance there. I wasn't sure if the new wheel cylinders were needed or not, it's my first time doing drum brakes...even though i've gone through an entire car before lol.
Thanks for the help, just going to have to figure out the whole drum brake assembly now.

Ah I see its the gf's car huh... well i know wheel cylinders have been known to leak sometimes and cause problems, other than that just make sure you have a diagram, or better yet take pictures as you pull it apart.. Good luck!
Monday, August 01, 2011 2:02 AM
Might be worth it to do the wheel cylinders while I have everything apart then?

Monday, August 01, 2011 11:32 AM
I would think so, you have everything else apart already its just a few torx screws holding it in I think... only thing is now your gonna have to bleed your brakes but thats not a huge issue
Monday, August 01, 2011 2:05 PM
Alright, sounds good. They need to be bled anyways, so might as well tackle it all.

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 8:10 AM
SLOCAV wrote:Might be worth it to do the wheel cylinders while I have everything apart then?

Yes. Leaky wheel cylinders is usually the cause of the rear brakes locking up. My 97 Sunfire does it, usually just first thing in the am.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 11:30 AM
I got sick of mine locking up and parts were cheaper, so I went disc.

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 6:05 PM
Not going disc at all, this car of hers is a big pos in the first place, and I'd just like to fix it to be safe again.

If anything, I'd go disc of my turbo'd car, but no way ever on this car.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search