big brake question - Page 2 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: big brake question
Friday, January 20, 2012 3:04 PM
I'm running 04 Subaru Sti front rotors 5x100 with 98-02 camaro calipers. Only issue is they are some heavy bastards.

Saturday, January 21, 2012 11:44 AM
so suby rotors work, next question is do you need an adapter to run the f body calipers on jbody spindles? and i know i could just search for this answer but can you clear f body calipers with factory 16inch wheels?
Saturday, January 21, 2012 12:44 PM
IRRC they do fit other 16" wheels. BUT the stockers dont have enough clearance in the depth direction.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Saturday, January 21, 2012 4:01 PM
We have a set of calipers (powder coated) off a GXP Bonneville, which as the same as the camaro ones. I will let them go for $100. Didnt mean to jack thread.

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Friday, February 03, 2012 4:56 AM
Cody Shaw wrote:so suby rotors work, next question is do you need an adapter to run the f body calipers on jbody spindles? and i know i could just search for this answer but can you clear f body calipers with factory 16inch wheels?
Absolutely. The calipers do not mount even close to the same. Factory J-body caliper brackets are part of the knuckle, but the F-body (like most newer GM cars) have separate brackets which bolt to the knuckle. It's not a big deal to adapt, but it requires grinding down the factory bracket and accuratly drilling the knuckle to attach the caliper bracket and/or bracket adapter.

I'm getting close to finishing up the N-body knuckle setup retaining the 5x100 bolt pattern. STi rotors will be an option to go this route, but I'm working on another (better, IMO) option. Just waiting on getting the pricing together for everything, and I will post pics here of the prototype. Probabaly by the end of the month.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 10:03 AM
Just wanted to let you guys know that I haven't forgotten this. I've been working on a few other things, and this is next on the list.

Stay tuned. There are some good things to come.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 10:50 AM
Zs Z wrote:I'm running 04 Subaru Sti front rotors 5x100 with 98-02 camaro calipers. Only issue is they are some heavy bastards.

Do you have any pictures?
Wednesday, February 29, 2012 11:00 AM
Bobby Higgins wrote:
Zs Z wrote:I'm running 04 Subaru Sti front rotors 5x100 with 98-02 camaro calipers. Only issue is they are some heavy bastards.

Do you have any pictures?

The thread is a little ways down on the first page of this forum category.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 1:57 PM
Mr. Quick wrote:
I'm getting close to finishing up the N-body knuckle setup retaining the 5x100 bolt pattern. STi rotors will be an option to go this route, but I'm working on another (better, IMO) option. Just waiting on getting the pricing together for everything, and I will post pics here of the prototype. Probabaly by the end of the month.

I am interested to see the setup.

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Thursday, March 01, 2012 3:13 AM
Good stuff here. Will be checking back.

Friday, March 16, 2012 10:22 AM
bump

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren

Friday, March 23, 2012 2:43 PM
Mr. Quick wrote:Just wanted to let you guys know that I haven't forgotten this. I've been working on a few other things, and this is next on the list.

Stay tuned. There are some good things to come.

WELL! WHERE ARE THE BRAKES?!?!?! Lol, just kidding. Can't wait to see what you have to go with those rears!
Monday, April 02, 2012 8:36 AM
I gotta keep, an eye on this 1, I was gonna start lookin into the Camaro, Sti setup but , I want to see what u come up with thats suspose to be a bit better than sti rotors, hopefully alot lighter, btw THIS IS THE TYPE OF SHYT I LOVE ABOUT THIS SITE!!!!!!

Skr8 Goodz in tha hood
Monday, April 02, 2012 8:52 AM
Mr. Quick wrote:STi rotors will be an option to go this route, but I'm working on another (better, IMO) option. Just waiting on getting the pricing together for everything, and I will post pics here of the prototype. Probabaly by the end of the month.

I am interested to see what you come up with. I went with STI rotors because I have aftermarket wheels and did not care about fitting a stock wheel, they were big and had the right bolt pattern. The STI rotors are really heavy though and i would love to explore other options for my DD with the stock 16s.

Monday, April 02, 2012 9:03 AM
Zs Z wrote:
Mr. Quick wrote:STi rotors will be an option to go this route, but I'm working on another (better, IMO) option. Just waiting on getting the pricing together for everything, and I will post pics here of the prototype. Probabaly by the end of the month.

I am interested to see what you come up with. I went with STI rotors because I have aftermarket wheels and did not care about fitting a stock wheel, they were big and had the right bolt pattern. The STI rotors are really heavy though and i would love to explore other options for my DD with the stock 16s.

I am interested as well. I am thinking about selling my Wilwood setup for the smaller Wilwood kit so I can fit aftermarket 16's. I also want to use the GrandAm alum steering knuckle if possible, but I want to see what all of my options are before I commit

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Monday, April 02, 2012 10:16 AM
Blwn LD9 wrote:I am thinking about selling my Wilwood setup for the smaller Wilwood kit so I can fit aftermarket 16's. I also want to use the GrandAm alum steering knuckle if possible, but I want to see what all of my options are before I commit
FYI, I can do the aluminum knuckle and make you an adapter to put your current Wilwood calipers on them with smaller rotors. Then you'd just need new rotors, not even new hats. PM me if you're interested. It wouldn't be hard at all to do, but to properly test everything and get it lined up right, I would need a caliper and hat/rotor combination to work with. I can get the specs from Wilwood, but I wouldn't want to do it without being able to assemble a setup on the bench first.

Sorry for the long time on this. I've dumped a bunch of projects in the lap of my machinist, and he's getting through each one slowly. I was hoping to bust this out a while ago, but then other projects got going and I had to set it aside. I'll see if he can at least get the knuckle modifications done shortly, and I can go from there.

Monday, April 02, 2012 12:18 PM
How about WRX rotors, however I cannot find the dim's because NAPA redid their website, and they no longer supply the technical information.
Tuesday, April 03, 2012 1:16 AM
Bobby Higgins wrote:How about WRX rotors, however I cannot find the dim's because NAPA redid their website, and they no longer supply the technical information.

Try autozone

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Brake-Rotor-Front/2005-Subaru-Impreza-AWD/_/N-jngr2Z8knrq?itemIdentifier=231721_172993_2708_

*subbed

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 6:30 AM
Bobby Higgins wrote:How about WRX rotors, however I cannot find the dim's because NAPA redid their website, and they no longer supply the technical information.
There are a few Suby rotors that will work. They have a 10.9" and an 11.55" rotor that are 5x100 with a 58mm hub bore that will fit well. I was thinking that the 10.9" rotor would work with the N-body caliper, but the hat height is too far off to work reasonably.

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 6:46 AM
Mr. Quick wrote:
There are a few Suby rotors that will work. They have a 10.9" and an 11.55" rotor that are 5x100 with a 58mm hub bore that will fit well. I was thinking that the 10.9" rotor would work with the N-body caliper, but the hat height is too far off to work reasonably.

Hmmm....the 10.9" rotor sounds nice for the rear

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Tuesday, April 03, 2012 7:00 AM
Blwn LD9 wrote:Hmmm....the 10.9" rotor sounds nice for the rear
They're 1" thick. That limits caliper options. However, there are plenty of ways to make an 11" rear.

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 7:09 AM
Mr. Quick wrote:
Blwn LD9 wrote:Hmmm....the 10.9" rotor sounds nice for the rear
They're 1" thick. That limits caliper options. However, there are plenty of ways to make an 11" rear.

That is fine. My SSBC rear brakes are 1" thick. I could reuse the caliper and just make another mounting bracket

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Tuesday, April 03, 2012 7:26 AM
I'm really startin to like where this is goin, keep up the work fellaz!!

Skr8 Goodz in tha hood
Tuesday, April 03, 2012 7:30 AM
Im surprised with the few people we have here working on this, that no one has made custom hats and just use wilwood rotors. I know this wouldnt work for everyone as people complain when they cant go to the local autozone and get $20 replacement rotors.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 7:55 AM
DSMskyline wrote:Im surprised with the few people we have here working on this, that no one has made custom hats and just use wilwood rotors. I know this wouldnt work for everyone as people complain when they cant go to the local autozone and get $20 replacement rotors.

Custom hats would be very expensive, they would either be billet, or spun.
Not something worth doing for a few applications.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search