k brace and sub frame braces - Page 2 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: k brace and sub frame braces
Wednesday, February 29, 2012 7:33 PM
Because it will crush your spine in an impact.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 7:36 PM
It will make you shorter, and no one wants to be shorter.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Thursday, March 01, 2012 7:33 PM
Ive heard the reason but not the logic behind it. I guess if your going forward the belts hold you but in a downward motion or something like that...I cant really explain it but I guess I get it. Well what are our current options as jbody owners? Just stock belts?

GMR has got nothing on this
Thursday, March 01, 2012 7:34 PM
Or run the belts the the rear deck. Or run a harness bar, or run a roll hoop + harness bar, or a full cage.

Friday, March 02, 2012 7:06 AM
DOHC_tuner wrote:Ive heard the reason but not the logic behind it. I guess if your going forward the belts hold you but in a downward motion or something like that...I cant really explain it but I guess I get it. Well what are our current options as jbody owners? Just stock belts?

What happens is when you get in an accident, the harness pulls you down in such an angle that it actually compresses your body so much that you blow everything out. Just think when you get hit in an accident you are wanting to go foward in the seat, if the belt is holding you down at such an angle the least point of resistance is you. The belt isnt going to snap.

To run a harness correctly you need to have no more than 5 degrees of downward angle and no more than 20 upward. Thats just the top belt if you are running bottom belts for a submarine belt there is a lot more info.

Here is a good read.

http://www.schrothracing.com/sdocs/2009_Competition_Instructions.pdf

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Thursday, March 08, 2012 8:51 AM
Interesting read....I skimmed through it since Im at work but how different is it to say a childs car seat. The belts wrap straight down...u know?

Thursday, March 08, 2012 10:46 AM
Never really looked at a kids seat but I would assume that because its almost right up against the seat the its sitting in, that it would have no real arch.

Mark

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Friday, March 09, 2012 5:43 AM
Most child seats are made of way stronger grade stuff than say your j-s stock seat or the fabric on it. The seat in a car is mostly padding and fabric, were the kids car seat is mostly plastic or whatever they make them out of, lol. It doesn't crush down when the belts pull tight, plus they anchor right behind the back so the slack is only in the front by the crotch of the child.

Apples to oranges my friend.

Monday, March 12, 2012 8:09 PM
Gotta think outside the box my friend
Its called innovation...not just thinking within boundaries like apples to apples.

None the less I understand

Monday, March 12, 2012 10:12 PM
a seat belt is designed by top minds at every corporation in the world that manufactures them and have to meet extremely sensitive safety requirements.
Im pretty sure just slapping a 5point in your car will be disasterous just for a good look (and most are done in a tacky way anywyas)...plus most ppl that DO have them dont need them...AutoX'ing and road racing are about the only reason. If you wanna look cool while driving, custom fab some backpack straps to your shoulders while you drive, you can use stock belts which are near 100% safe, and youll have the look of a wanna-be racer

the only time id drop in multi-point harnesses are when i think my car is fast enough to need them, which means its fast enough to require/need a half rollbar.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Monday, March 12, 2012 10:13 PM
I'm not even a fan of the 2 point roll bar. IMO go 6 point FIA or GCR approved cage or dont bother.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 5:31 AM
DOHC_tuner wrote:Gotta think outside the box my friend
Its called innovation...not just thinking within boundaries like apples to apples.

None the less I understand

true.

I can see it now, hey car seat manufacturer, wanna do some one off adult sized seats for the GM J-body application. hehe

Friday, March 16, 2012 8:50 PM
Ok I see some points but I recently came across where a guy put to bars in one on the floor and one where the top part of the seat is from side one side to another behind the top of the front drivers and passengers side seats as for the belts what would be recommended then if the car won't be stock as for power I am in the process if getting my m62 supercharger ready to put in and will have a power gain non the less but after its added I dunno on future plans about putting different pulleys or other work that will be done to spruce up the car I really don't like the whole roll cage thing as for I don't really like the way they look , I know my back seat is getting takin out but not only will the car be somewhat show I also wanna add a little of the go to as well ....
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search