more parts, and some of the photos of the install.
Parts list I used:
1. Aluminum control arm from grand am 99+
2. Aluminum steering knuckle from a 99+ grand am.
3a. do some research on carid.com, about axle lengths, and see if you can use just the grand am ones. This is what I did. I used part number NCV10606 (passanger side) and NCV10605 (drivers side)
3b. make hybrid axles from inner jbody, outer grand am (hub is different, spline count is too)
4. moog ball joint for aluminum grand am control arm (they make 2 types 1 for aluminum, and 1 for steel). Get the right one. I used MOOG-K6701 on both sides.
5. Wheel bearings. I did Moog for this as well. part number 513137. you'll need 2, 1 for each side.
6. Brake rotors from a 2004 Chevy impala. This was the largest rotor I could find that would fit. I used Centric Cryostop rotors, since they are for race, you can just get generic ones. My part number was 125.62055CRY
7. Brake calipers: I used Chevy C5 Z06 calipers, which are functionally the same as the non-z06 calipers, but powdercoated red. (I like red ) I got these on ebay, to save money. If you wait, and shop around, you should be able to find a pair for $200-$250 or so.
8. Brake caliper bracket. Here, you want to us the 2000 camaro brake caliper. I just ordered some off rockauto new. P.S. you will want to paint or powder coat these. I didn't and in just 2-3 weeks, they were a nice crusty rust orange. i just pulled them, cleaned them and painted with caliper paint.
9. Brake pads: Get pads that match the brake caliper bracket, so for a 2000 Chevy Camaro. I just got some basic Duralast Gold C-max pads for my street use. I used race pads on the track. Carbotech xp10, worked GREAT!
Not so obvious parts
10. Slide pins for caliper bracket, retaining bolt for caliper. The bolts to hold the caliper bracket onto the knuckle. (i either used rock auto, or GM parts to get them)
11. caliper brake line bolt. I used a generic brake hose Banjo, part number 13912, from autozone. and copper crush washers in a similar package, part number 66223. You'll need 2 of each of those, for each side.
12. dust boot covers for the slide pins. (got from rock auto as well). There may be a kit to get it all together (slide pins, bolts, and dust covers)
13. ABS connector bracket (goes between knuckle and wheel bearing) I just got these from GM. Bot too bad for price. maybe $5-10 each.
14. Outer tie rod arm, for a grand am. (this is to match the new knuckle, since the taper is different between jbody and n-body. )
15. Brake lines. My stock Russel stainless steel ones worked great. So, use those.
16. MOST IMPORTANT a 1/8" 5x115 spacer. I got everything assembled, and lowered the car, and as i drove a few feet, I heard metal rubbing, and It was the ball joint hitting the inside of the rotor. Caused a nice gouge in it. A 1/8" spacer fixed that, and all was well. get 2 of these, obviously, 1 for each side.
Also, with the wider wheel base from the control arm, you may need to have a camber bolt, and/or event slot the shock tower to get a proper alignment, but a little negative camber is good for what I do, track days.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, June 06, 2017 2:07 PM
- IMG_3075.JPG (492k)