rear disc conversion - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
rear disc conversion
Monday, April 11, 2005 7:06 PM
Hey everyone, here's a good one for you. I've been hearing through the grapevine that the rear disc brake assembly off of a 00 grand am gt will bolt right up to the 00-02 cavalier. I'm not sure if it's true or not. I can get the assembly for cheap, but I want to be sure before I buy it. Any info on this would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

The midwest is here....... are YOU ready.

Re: rear disc conversion
Monday, April 11, 2005 7:15 PM
Not true. You need to make a bracket to hold the caliper. You also need to figure out how to attach the ebrake cable to the caliper. Also, I have heard from someone who tried the swap that the disc goes in too deep. He ended up using a redrilled corolla rotor.

Monday, April 11, 2005 7:23 PM
So what would you recommend. Have you found any kits for it.

The midwest is here....... are YOU ready.
Monday, April 11, 2005 7:25 PM
my friend insists that f-body rear brakes will fit...thats what ive been telling him. this does apply to the f-body cars too right? no matter what, any car, as far as i read, and understood, the e-brake fittings and the caliper bracket were the major issue. please, correct me if im wrong!

this useless post brought to you by the alcoholic known as LUNDiS

Tuesday, April 12, 2005 5:12 AM
Your grape vines are retarded.

Did you actually hear that they would fit or did you just have one of those "I wonder if..." conversations followed up by a pondering of which other cars have rear discs and then a random selection from that list of a couple GM cars you figured you'd ask about here?

Just messin' with you... but seriously... read through this and you'll get an idea of what's involved.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=3&i=50440&t=50440&arch=1#50440

Tuesday, April 12, 2005 8:05 PM
yeah i did read that, which is why i knew i was right and he was wrong. he just told me that he read it on here a long time ago that f-body rear brakes will fit. thanks weasel, your a great help as always.

this useless post brought to you by the alcoholic known as LUNDiS

Wednesday, April 13, 2005 6:29 AM
Well "fit" is a sort of mushy term. Sure, my rear calipers are used on some of the f-bodies... but they don't just bolt on with no other hardware.

So if your definition of "fit" is that they can be made to work with some precise measurements and the services of a machine shop to make you custom brackets and adapters, then yes. They fit.

Wednesday, April 13, 2005 9:34 AM
And also for anyone interested, the front Bear kit is alittle more involved, they modify the stock steering knucle, add an aluminum caliper adaptor braket to bolt up the stock C4 88-96 Corvette caliper mouting bracket and then the caliper mouts to that with a pin.

But the biggest differance i found i the fact that hey do not use a stock C4 corvette rotor, i bought a set of 4 rotors and found out that the stock front rotors have way to much offset, and had to buy some eradispeed rotors made for the conversion, at 300 bucks for the pair. Now i have 2 rotors i cant do anything with.

Also i took a stock knucle to a local machine shop i have used in the past to se what it would cost to have it modified thr saem way Bear does, and i was quoted around 500 bucks for both front rotors. And you can buy the knucles already modified from Bear for around the same 250 a piece.

And well after buiying all the parts and trying to put together my own kit just like Bears for cheaper, i basically came out with the saem cost on the front and i am alot cheaper on the back, and im sitting on arond 1200 bucks spent so far and i have everything needed to isntall the front, and just trying to work out the brake line for the rear, becaue im also installing line lock solenoids on each rear wheel to make heating up the tires and burnouts easier at the track, without damaging the brakes.

So i probably have about another 200 bucks to spend and everything will be installed and will be the exact saem thing you can get from bear.

But it wast easy, and if i were to do it again i would just save my money and buy the kit from bear, then i would have parts i cant use, although i am going to try and put the 13in front rotor on the bak and see what would need to be done to make it work.

Mike

1992 GMC Sonoma GT #492. Oh, Its just a stock V6!

1999 Cavalier Coupe, daily driver, 2200/M5. Mods and pics are in my registry.

Fully built turbo 2200 in progress, should be installed very soon. Will post details as they happen.
Support the site that supports your habit, Go Premium.
Im premium since January, but why doesnt it say that?????
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search