Gauge cluster swap - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Gauge cluster swap
Tuesday, October 04, 2005 2:29 PM
Yeah i know.... All seems so simple. Have 98 cav z model. Two sets of gauges identical cept one is digital odometer other is roll over type. I tried the swap but the theft light locked on and wouldn't run car.....The reason for swap is i am wanting my indiglo gauges in this car... Any way to run these without seeing a dealer for a reset? Maybe diconnect battery? Dunno you tell me.....

Another day in the life of a J-body Owner has come upon us

Re: Gauge cluster swap
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 6:33 AM
here is a post from another member

ßãggéÐÇåv98 (Ûñqùðtäߣè Øñé) Online
Thursday, June 30, 2005 12:49 PM

i had the same problem w/ my car. when i swapped clusters the car would start, then die and the theft light came on. what i was turn the car on and let it die. LEAVE the key in the ignition but turn it one click back so its on the on position. dont turn anything on or open the doors or anything. the theft light will flash and then just stay on. sit there for about 10 mins and you'll hear the computer fixing itself. once that noise goes away wait for a min, turn the key to the off position but dont take it out. leave it there for 15 secs and then start the car. worked perfectly for me.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/lman1.jpg
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 9:07 AM
From the "FAQ" button to the left of your screen....

http://www.j-body.org/faq//98/

Monday, October 10, 2005 9:04 PM
thankx lenko will try again this weekend.......As for the FAQ button i know sometimes can be more trouble then it seems....I thank you though for taking that step for me....

Another day in the life of a J-body Owner has come upon us
Tuesday, October 11, 2005 7:10 AM
I saw that but does that method apply when you are switching from analogy Odometer to a digital. I thought you could not swap that easily

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 7:59 PM
There is alot more involved than that, because the 2k plus digital odometers also come with a BCM module if I'm correct and the pre 2k models do not. I attemped doing this to my 97 cav back in the day, but since I did not pull that module out of the donor car when I pulled the new Odometer, there was no reason of even trying it. So now I just have that odometer chillin in my storage room. I also wanted to do the indiglo custom gauges from blackcat customs, that's why I originally got the cluster. Same as ZGlistening24.

Wednesday, October 12, 2005 8:47 AM
^^^^^^^^^^
he's referring to the digital odometer's in the 98+ model year, its strange, my base model had the full guages with digital odometer, whereas 2 of my friends with 98z's had the mechanical odo

they'll swap over no prob, but you might not get accurate readings with the digital odometer

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Thursday, October 13, 2005 12:59 PM
they will swap for the most part, but your going to have to have the speedo with the digital odo reprogramed with the milage from the other cluster, otherwise it can cause some problems when you try to sell the car

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 6:40 PM
^ selling it with the wrong mileage is only a problem if you DON'T state the actual mileage on the car.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Thursday, October 20, 2005 9:51 PM
Milage on the digital odo's 99+ is from the computer its not stored in the dash.
ZG, is this a 2k+ dash you are trying to connect? if it is that is the problem. The 2k's have a BCM which controls the dash and such which needs to be ported over.. ECM, BCM, and dash need to be pulled from the donor 2k car. I am pretty sure, however, you can use a 99 cluster because the 99 has the digital odo without the BCM, it connects to the ECM just like the pre 98's.
Saturday, October 22, 2005 10:55 AM
the 98 and 99 cluster have the mileage stored in the cluster itself though. so it'll show the mileage from the car it was pulled out of.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!

Sunday, October 23, 2005 9:29 AM
forgive me if i may have over looked the answer i'm searching for. i've read above about swapping a rollover to digital, but what about a digital to rollover? i'm planning on swapping to a complete sunfire interior. if i get a cluster with a rollover odometer, i was just gonna set it to what my digital is displaying, i figured it will keep acurate mileage.....am i wrong in assuming that??

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search