2.3 to stroke or not to storke that is the ???? - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.3 to stroke or not to storke that is the ????
Monday, November 21, 2005 1:44 PM
ok
to all of you who no i have asked everyone i can about the 2.3 and i am sure i still only 20% of what i need to know but i would like to thank all those for the info,

i would like to open the floor to this question, for a turbo application, would you storke or not, and why, what are the specifics on why you would or would not and if there are any limitations one may face a a storked 2.3 apposed to a know stroked 2.3 i know there are those of you who will live by the creed "there is no replacement for displacement" but my question is in this case is there ????

Re: 2.3 to stroke or not to storke that is the ????
Monday, November 21, 2005 7:07 PM
The replacement for displacement:

Boost.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Re: 2.3 to stroke or not to storke that is the ??
Monday, November 21, 2005 7:41 PM
Shifted wrote:The replacement for displacement:

Boost.

there is NO replacement for displacement, do the stroker, drop the compression ratio to like 8 or 8.5:1 and let her rip. when you do, have fun outrunning just about every other sport compact on the road.

Monday, November 21, 2005 7:54 PM
^^ i agree...stroke it ...get some custom forged pistons about 8 or 8 5 1 and boost it...best of both worlds

"Freedom 'ought to have its limits"-George W. Bush may 31 1999 (who voted for this idiot?)

Tuesday, November 22, 2005 4:06 PM
i awate the word of gillies

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 11:49 AM
If you have the money, do it but it's still not worth it for the amount of money you need to do the stroker. I would take the 1000-1500$ you'll take for the stroker and put it in good tuning parts. For the same amount it will cost you for the turbo setup, you can have a stand alone computer. That will help you alot more than having 30hp more and not being able to use it correctly.

You can get an SDS ecm for the same price as the stroker and get every Hp you can get SAFELY.

Yes the stroker will give you 30hp for 1500$ but it's 30hp that will be use with risk. Why not use that 1500$ and use it on an ecm and tune it correctly and run boost safely? You will gain some Hp back with good tuning and you know you can run it everyday without any chance of blowing because of bad tuning.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Friday, November 25, 2005 11:56 AM
this is what i need more info on the risk, ok is there e rev limit, what is it and why when storked, what kind of problems is a stroked 2.3 prone too ???. that is 30 hp at flywheel right ?? how much boost is safe on it if it is stroked, what kind of top speed can i be looking at and running 8.5-1 what will this drive like when i am not racing, i mean it sounds like it will be rough pls let me know, pls be as specific as possible thanks ................

Saturday, November 26, 2005 10:29 AM
the stroked 2.3L is good for over 300HP (the 2.6L with block mods) at the flywheel, according to the instructions I have. That assumes you have proper fuel and ignition mods. That number is NA as well. Turbo, look for more power and if you get a motor built, it will be built for your application, it's not just a standard kit, it's tailored to your specific tuning needs.

it is not going to be a very fun "city" car if you do this, but back roads and highways will never be the same.

I have trouble with just the HO in city driving, it's not really meant for stop and go in any form.

Saturday, December 03, 2005 10:42 PM
stroker motors are better for boost applications in general since the stroke is longer it means more exhaust is built up when in turn helps with turbo lag so its spools faster. and that is just a quick explaination btw

95 Mustang GT
check it out
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/793525
Sunday, December 04, 2005 8:47 AM
stroke with forged pistons,crank and rods. With a little shot of the dope
Sunday, December 04, 2005 9:02 AM
I'm curious as to what crank you would use to stroke the 2.3L motor??

Time to get it going again.....

Sunday, December 04, 2005 9:16 AM
well, i would be using a 2.4 crank, if i can a preformance crank knife edged with forged internals, i just located my block and tranny and all wiresing, for
$ 200 and a 086 head and ho cams full head $280 shipped, and the ho intake an tb for $150 i will have pics as soon as i get it all, then i will start the bottom end

Sunday, December 04, 2005 9:22 AM
good choice on the top end...maybe a bit pricy on the intake though

FACT : Statistics show that you are more likely to to be hit by lightning than to die street racing.

Sunday, December 04, 2005 9:33 AM
I was reading on a quad engine web page stating that the 2.4L connecting rod journals are larger than the 2.3L con. rod journals. Are you going to use 2.4L rods or 2.3L rods. If your using the 2.3L rods(=shorter and 2.4), you'll have to grind the con. rod crank journals down. For that particular fact, the site states that it is ill advised to grinding down the 2.4L crank con. rods journals due to lack of durability.
If I find that website, I'll send it to ya. The reason why I'm telling you hthis is because I'm in the same boat as you. I want to stroke my 2.3 block too.

Sunday, December 04, 2005 9:57 AM
Hers that article:

http://www.kitcarmag.com/techarticles/73858/index3.html

Sunday, December 04, 2005 10:41 AM
Sorry, I meant to specify on the main journals and not the con. rod journals.

Sunday, December 04, 2005 12:01 PM
You need to do an align bore on the main and bring them to the same size as the 2.4 crank. You need to use the 2.4 bearings.

For the rods, you need to use the 2.4 rods with 2.4 pistons in a 92-93mm bore.

If you want to use the 2.3 pistons, you have to cut the 2.4 rods otherwsie the head of the pistons will hit the head.

If you grind the crank, you'll loose all the strength of the crank and you'll brake it easily.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Sunday, December 04, 2005 12:11 PM
^^ very correct information

FACT : Statistics show that you are more likely to to be hit by lightning than to die street racing.

Sunday, December 04, 2005 1:03 PM
Very good point Gilles. But I'm wondering one thing, my question is, if we machine the main journals in the block to accomidate for the 2.4L bearings, won't the crank will sit closer to the deck ( example .030 - .060) out of position?????

Sunday, December 04, 2005 2:10 PM
i am going with 2.4 rods, pistons and what not , but good question diesell i wonder as well,

Sunday, December 04, 2005 2:25 PM
if you machine the crank its gonna snap in half at like 5ooo rpm..this we know

Sunday, December 04, 2005 5:08 PM
The thing is, when you grind the main, you grind in the main cap and the block. If you would only oversize the block I would say that your point is good but since you oversize the main in the cap and the block, the crank will be at the same spot. it's just the bore of the main that is bigger.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Sunday, December 04, 2005 6:34 PM
I see.....Well I did a bit of math and figured that going from 85mm(2.3L) to 90mm(2.4L) lengths isn't really that much of a gain for me anyway. So basically your gaining 5mm(.19685"in.) isn't that great if you have to sacrifice block strength. Especially if your going to develope over 400hp and a lot more torque, I'm not too sure if it would be worth it. What do you guys think??????

Monday, December 05, 2005 3:36 AM
The block will still have the same strenght.

The crank would have been weaken if you would grind the crank.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Monday, December 05, 2005 7:23 AM
if your gonna do the stroker in ANY form you CANT grind the crank..it HAS to be the block...now..depending on what your doing with it...like im staying N/A so i have no problem..but say shooting for 400hp like you said that would require some boost and a damn good tuning and i think im gonna agree with gilles on that its "safer" to stick with the 2.3 crank....but id love to see someone turbo the stroker and find out to make it fact

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search