3rd gen shifter swap?..anyone?? - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
3rd gen shifter swap?..anyone??
Tuesday, January 19, 2010 7:15 PM
Besides the obvious, what are the differences between a '96 5 speed shifter and a lets say an '04? I know the motors are different and the Eco trans has the reverse lockout but why could you not mount a shifter base and all into an earlier 3rd gen ?...I tried to find a good set of pics for the '03,'04'05 models but didn't see much.....Anyone try this yet ?

2003 Cavalier
Stock 2.2 Liter, 5 speed
" Leave the rice to Uncle Ben's and the wings to KFC..
Go clean or go home. "

Re: 3rd gen shifter swap?..anyone??
Tuesday, January 19, 2010 7:50 PM
think the trans it self is also different. mabe 3 different models?

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 3:08 AM
Different trans, different shifter, different cables. I do not believe they will interchange, or what work is necessary to make them interchange. Would be nice though, I like the 00+ shifter over the older ones.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Wednesday, January 20, 2010 3:44 AM
Exactly , Sho....that's my thing...I like them better than mine...I just need to get a decent all around look at one and how it all connects up, I thinking it may be possible.....

2003 Cavalier
Stock 2.2 Liter, 5 speed
Go clean or go home. "

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 9:02 AM
Marc Sheffield wrote:I thinking it may be possible.....

Its not...

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 11:40 AM
it's so sad when people just say it's not going to work and actaully try and help........

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Wednesday, January 20, 2010 1:36 PM
LOL...but if he knows then he knows but I'd like to see if its possible...really..you can put an IRS and a rear disc conversion in our cars then why not a swap like this...yeah they take some work to do but that's the fun of it...If it is proven to be 100% not possible then I'll except that..been trying to find the cable ends for both tranny's but no good pics yet..I see that as the hard part..making brackets and welding is the cake part...But I am not going to try unless i am sure it won't..I know there will be modification involved but thats fine....just an option before I order/find a short throw for mine in the next day or so...

2003 Cavalier
Stock 2.2 Liter, 5 speed
Go clean or go home. "

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 1:52 PM
Marc Sheffield wrote:LOL...but if he knows then he knows but I'd like to see if its possible...really..you can put an IRS and a rear disc conversion in our cars then why not a swap like this...yeah they take some work to do but that's the fun of it...If it is proven to be 100% not possible then I'll except that..been trying to find the cable ends for both tranny's but no good pics yet..I see that as the hard part..making brackets and welding is the cake part...But I am not going to try unless i am sure it won't..I know there will be modification involved but thats fine....just an option before I order/find a short throw for mine in the next day or so...

Yes it may be possible but there are better options Im sure. If your going to go through the trouble you might as well fabricate an entirely new system for the shifter mechanism which would eliminate alot of the slop that our shifters are known for. (In other words, taking the economy out of the economy car shifter.)

Some of you need to start taking a look around Fiero stuff before you assume we have no options with shifters aside from short throws.

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Wednesday, January 20, 2010 8:39 PM
Ive heard fiero mentioned before but not too much....they close enough to work with ? I'm doing exactly like you said ..keeping my options open....i'll do some digging on it too..maybe get lucky...

2003 Cavalier
Stock 2.2 Liter, 5 speed
Go clean or go home. "

Thursday, January 21, 2010 2:47 AM
Marc Sheffield wrote:Ive heard fiero mentioned before but not too much....they close enough to work with ? I'm doing exactly like you said ..keeping my options open....i'll do some digging on it too..maybe get lucky...

It's not looking into what a Fiero has. It's what the Fiero guys do. They mod all kinda @!#$ to work in their cars. It's nuts.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Thursday, January 21, 2010 6:29 PM
00-05 shifter wont work on the 95-99 linkage the way they mount is different and there wont connect

the 95-99 linkage WONT mount to a 00-05 trans basicly your SOL on that

JBO since July 30, 2001

Monday, February 01, 2010 9:17 PM
swap a 00-05 tranny into your car and call it a day...or sell your car and buy an 00 up.

Rememeber kids... spell check is your friend
Thursday, February 04, 2010 7:10 AM
Schaffer wrote:swap a 00-05 tranny into your car and call it a day...or sell your car and buy an 00 up.

I would like to get a '00+ or do a tranny swap ...motor swap for that matter but not happening anytime soon......Was just wondering about those since I haven't seen cable ends or the shift linkage/ mechanism in the '00+ cars yet. If it won't work then it won't work, simple as that. I'll just keep looking into short throw's for mine or get a really good or new stock assembly.

2003 Cavalier
Stock 2.2 Liter, 5 speed
Go clean or go home. "

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search