Convertible tack strip size? - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Convertible tack strip size?
Monday, November 15, 2010 6:32 AM
My stock tack strip is busted, and I have official word that the piece, either of them are no longer available. I won't be able to see my car until Thanksgiving week, and want to do the top then. My question is does any one know what universal size I should order.

It looks like it comes in two flavors....

5/8"x1/8" or

1/2"x3/8"

I appreciate your help. Worst case I guess I'll buy both.

Sig'less since '02!

Re: Convertible tack strip size?
Monday, November 15, 2010 3:06 PM
i wish i had measurements, but i dont. here are pics for your own reference though. good luck.

Monday, November 15, 2010 6:16 PM
Thanks Ben. That pic made me realizze I have a piece of it with me in my G6.

If you exclued the lip height I need is somewhere between 3/4 and 7/8" and the width is about 3/8".

I will have to see if I can get anything close to this. I will let you know how it goes.

Sig'less since '02!
Wednesday, November 17, 2010 6:42 AM
I'm thinking about using pvc trim from home depot and routing it to the correct size. It shouldn't rot, seems flexible and will hold a staple.

Any thoughts?

Sig'less since '02!
Friday, November 19, 2010 2:42 PM
Well, I cant say it would work or not due to the fact I have no idea wtf that is LOL, but I have replaced a top before and just keep this in mind, this piece is going to hold the back of the fabric to the car and hold it tight, so if that can hold a staple under pressure dont do it. Because the staple will be under load when the top is up and tight. So if you think it will work, give it a shot and let us know how it works. Us vert guys are always looking for ways to help our cars out lol. Goodluck!!!

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 6:04 AM
Well not going to try the moulding, too chicken. I got a video with my top and they use 2 pieces of 5/8 x 3/16 on top of eachother, so I'm going to do what I know works.

Sig'less since '02!
Wednesday, November 24, 2010 3:56 PM
just ask a top shop im sure theyve dealt with it before.

Thursday, December 02, 2010 5:04 PM
I have a video that came with my top. They doubled up on the tackstrip. My top should be here Monday. With any luck I'll be back on the road by Christmas.

Sig'less since '02!
Thursday, December 02, 2010 5:25 PM
can you send or upload the vid? that would help everyone else

Thursday, December 02, 2010 5:29 PM
I can't, but once I put the top on I will gladly send the video to anyone who wants it with my leftover supplies, (staples, strip, adhesive, etc) and hopefully they will send it on to the next person. I'm putting the weather stripping from the group purchase you started too. Can't thank you enough, Ben.

Sig'less since '02!
Thursday, December 02, 2010 7:30 PM
is it a dvd? if so please send it to me and i'll rip it for everyone else

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search