How far have you gone on a 75 dry shot? - Nitrous Oxide Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How far have you gone on a 75 dry shot?
Thursday, June 29, 2006 4:54 PM
Just wondering how long you have gone on a 75 dry shot before you blew up your motor.
I'm running a Zex 75 dry shot and have gone through one bottle currently. I have my mods listed in my reg. and I have 181,000+ miles. I have no supporting mods like a fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, or MSD to retard timing. Ran the 55 shot for 4 bottles, then ran the 65 shot for 2 bottles.

Newest member of a Nitrous casualty

Re: How far have you gone on a 75 dry shot?
Thursday, June 29, 2006 7:41 PM
You're an idiot...Unless you are trying to blow the motor.

If thats the case throw on some Drag Radials and insert the 200hp pill and see what kinda wicked hole shot you can get

------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, June 29, 2006 7:52 PM
I don't know too many people who lasted long! Good luck though!

N2O + Bolt-ons = 220Hp/250Tq

Coming Soon:HpTunersPro, EagleConnectingRods, WiescoPistons, 13sec2200

Thursday, June 29, 2006 8:14 PM

wow just..... wow

~Riki

SPONSORED BY: No one!
Car Domain Site
Thursday, June 29, 2006 8:57 PM
I've put 3-4 bottles throught on a dry 65 shot.

I usually start with the 35 shot, and only jet up to the 65 if the track conditions are good. I went throught 7 bottles total last year.

Good Luck.

-Jeff-

If its worth doing its worth over doing.
Friday, June 30, 2006 8:16 AM
My motor went after 13bottle on a 75 wet.

Friday, June 30, 2006 4:14 PM
23 refill's running dual 10lb bottles, using a VCN-1000 dry kit, I reamed the nozzles out at work in .001 increments, I started with a .015 DIA nozzle, the motor blew with a .054 DIA nozzle, the motor had a little over 100,000 miles on it, and YES the goal was to blow it up.

Not sure exactly sure how big each shot was but at 6000rpm and the .038 DIA nozzle it hit 177hp, with out the juice the motor was only running 133hp. It managed to get 184hp at a little over 3000rpm befor it went "pop" on the dyno, you do the math...

Having fun with the grocery getter.
Saturday, July 01, 2006 11:36 AM
Cavmania- it's not my goal to blow the motor, i just wanted to hear from others about how long they went on a dry 75 before the motor blew. You know, if I blow my motor, too bad, I got a spare sitting around. Rather than sulk about it, I'll get to rebuilding it and making it stronger to handle more power. I don't need drag radials just to get into the 14's. I'm still running on a stock clutch and axles, so I don't really feel like breaking anything more than just the motor.

There was a guy on S-10forum.com that was running an 85 shot on his 2200 truck. I don't remember if it was wet or dry, but I do know that he sprayed once and the plastic intake exploded on him. He too was not using any timing retard or fuel enrichment.

I will be going to the track next Saturday to see what I do, until then , I'll be hoping and praying that my car doesn't fall apart!

On my way to using my second bottle of nitrous on the 75 shot!
Monday, July 03, 2006 10:49 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
When you say the guy over on S10Forums blew the plastic intake. Do you mean the actual 2200 box + intake, the intake tubing part, or the intake mani?

Monday, July 03, 2006 5:07 PM
Sorry, I meant the intake manifold.

I take back what I said about no fuel mods. He has a pressure regulator. My bad!

On my way to using my second bottle of nitrous on the 75 shot!
Monday, July 03, 2006 5:22 PM
^^^I believe thats called a nitrous backfire. Looks like it did the trick

Tuesday, July 04, 2006 2:55 PM
i lasted one shot and i blew most of the seals in my engine. she was bleeding bad but i got her home and she quit on me i was god damn lucky i didnt kill any internals. 1000 dollars later she was back on the streets. I wouldnt dare run anyhting over 45. currently im at 35 shot cause im scared if i go 45 ill blow something up again. save up for a 100 wet efi kit.
Tuesday, July 04, 2006 3:00 PM
btw i have a 2.2 ecotec with a mls headgasket now, uncle installed it
Wednesday, July 05, 2006 7:38 PM
Shane Ends wrote:save up for a 100 wet efi kit.

they make dry to wet converson for like 150.00....out of courosity has anyone ever tried a dry to wet converson kit?

Thursday, July 06, 2006 3:28 PM
Well seeing that my 2.2 OHV has a crack in the #4 spark plug hole and bleeds oil every now and then, and drains the coolant overflow bottle every 6 months; Yeah this head is taking the 75 shot like a champ. Sucks that I purchased a replacement head that already has cracks! Never the less, I'm having one built now.

I did take out the thermostat, because here in hot as hell Arizona summer time, the motor was reaching hotter than normal temps.

I also have NGK TR6 plugs.

I don't want to do dry to wet right now as I'm going to save for boost later. When my head is done, I will be returning the nitrous to a 55 shot for the mean time.

On my way to using my third bottle of nitrous on the 75 shot!
Thursday, July 06, 2006 4:56 PM
You are making your own death wish to your motor...not smart. 180hp at 3000 rpms is nuts, i can see why it went pop.
Friday, July 07, 2006 4:17 PM
Fst Cavy wrote:You are making your own death wish to your motor...not smart. 180hp at 3000 rpms is nuts, i can see why it went pop.

are you talking to me?

and it was 3800rpm then "POP" and the goal was to make it "POP"......

Friday, July 07, 2006 9:13 PM
I have no deathwish to my motor, but whatever happens, happens. It just so happens that I have used two full bottles of the 75 shot, and no catastophic engine damage has occured like what I've heard and seen. I have asked numerous people encluding some old school hot rodders about my usaage, and they are just as confused.

Saturday, July 08, 2006 2:12 PM
BigRey (The Ferret) wrote:I have no deathwish to my motor, but whatever happens, happens. It just so happens that I have used two full bottles of the 75 shot, and no catastophic engine damage has occured like what I've heard and seen. I have asked numerous people encluding some old school hot rodders about my usaage, and they are just as confused.

on your third bottle go to the dyno and do your first pull W/O the juce and you last pull with the juice so we can verify a couple of thing's. like.....
1. How big a "75" shot is at the wheel's.
2. What your air/fuel mix is running at under both conditions.

What is the DIA of your nozzle? Anything over .037DIA is a coffin nail for your car....

Saturday, July 08, 2006 4:42 PM
I would dyno it, but I'm going to the track tonight to see what I'm getting. I dynoed it back in february without
and then on the 55 shot
I am currently using the 38 nitrous jet as the Zex instructions says. I guess the 38 jet is .038, and should have put my engine out of commision long ago. I swear I'm not making any of this up! on the 55 shot I couldn't really spin the tires unless I tried. The 65 shot would spin the tires if launch rpms were higher than 2000rpms! With the 75, 1st gear has no chance at hooking. I have bigger tires now so maybe it will help my hole shot. Hoping for the best or my engines final shot.

Sunday, July 09, 2006 1:17 AM
dyno lines are to smooth.......what have you done to the fuel system and cpu? A bone stock motor would be really jagged beacuse of the compesentation it would be making for the Nitrous.

Nozzles to my knowledge (which is very limited) only come in icrments (totally spelled wrong of course) of .005. Like your kit should be .025, .030, .035, and .040DIA unless you reamed them yourself or special ordered them.

In any case Do me a favor and ream it out to .050DIA then run it on the dyno I'm just courious to see what it makes.......I hit 184whp at 3800rpm with a .054DIA nozzle, of course then it went "POP".

Sunday, July 09, 2006 10:46 PM
I ran a zex dry kit for a couple of years on my old silver 2000 Z24... "the bottle fed zed".... it ran like a champ. BUT, I had the MSD DIS-2 on there to retard the timing... and lots of gauges and constantly changed the copper plugs to watch what was going on.

Never had a single problem.... I went from 55hp to 65 to 75hp the same night... the first night I ran it... then a few months later went to 87.5'ish hp jets... guessing based on zex's numbers. Never had any issues.

Rick King is the only person I know of to beat me in terms of reliability and nitrous.... he had over 700 passes on an otherwise stock car....

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 12:15 AM
I don't know if it makes a difference, but I took out the thermostat. Therefore I think the engine runs rich all the time. That's the best guess I can give you! I haven't done a thing to the fuel system since I've had this car. Shouldn't a header and exhaust system make the motor run leaner? Doesn't the intake make it run leaner too? Then by removing the thermostat would make the computer think the motor's cold all the time, therefore making it run rich, right?

Um, Zex sells there dry kits and includes with them a .032, .034 .035, .036, and .038 jets. I checked Zex.com, and I'm pretty sure that I installed the .038 nitrous jet along with the .032 fuel jet. I should get crazier and just do the 100 shot jet setup! (.026 fuel/.046 nitrous) but that's nowhere close the the .054 jet.

Just for reference and a matter of interest, Zex says that a .054 nozzle on the dry V8 kit is good for a 125hp shot! But not recommended for 4 or 6 cylinders!
So you would have made near 260hp at the wheels had the motor stayed together!?

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 12:21 AM
Oh, and sorry, I don't have have any track times like I promised. They wouldn't let me run unless I got a dump tube whitch is kind of hard to come up with when all the speed shops are closed and you wan't to run then and there but you are getting held back because of some stupid NHRA rule that impedes people like me from racing on the track instead of the street...

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 6:06 AM
^^ Thought you needed a dump tube only if you had it in the cab of your car, this it being ok if it were in the trunk!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search