How to: 2000-2005 Cavalier Radio Install - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How to: 2000-2005 Cavalier Radio Install
Sunday, January 05, 2014 8:35 PM
When I did my radio install, there was a lack of information anywhere on the internet, even on here. So I decided to make a thread for future novices so they wouldn't go through trial and error like I did. the harness I used, is a $5 harness, you WILL lose your door chimes, that's it. You could buy something else that retains the door chimes, but is much more expensive.

Items needed:
Any electrical connectors, soldering is the best method.
Metra Single or Double DIN interface adapter.
Metra IBR-WHGM3 adapter, for general motors 98-08, it also comes with a separate red wire.
Metra Antenna Adapter.
Another 25A fuse.
Cooper/Bussman ATM Fuse tap
Wire cutter/stripper.

First off, wire the adapter to the aftermarket unit.

NOTE: The red wire and orange will NOT be needed.
Make sure you connect the red wire from the headunit to the separate red wire that came with the adapter, NOT the adapter.
Then I used mini zip ties to hold it together.

Then, take the dash apart, about 5 screws in all. Careful to not break the fragile plastic in the process.

Then take the stock radio out by taking the screws out on each side. Careful in pulling the antenna plug, some members on here reported they tend to break. I haven't encountered this problem.

Then hook up the new adapter. Make sure the red wire from the headunit is off to the side for now.

Now, connect the red wire from the aftermarket unit with the wire you recieved with the adapter, with the fuse tap. Should look like this. I tapped into the wiper fuse, which is 25A. While you're doing this, make sure you pop in the second fuse also, otherwise your wipers will NOT work, I learned this the hard way.

Now test it out, to ensure this is working.

After that, just use the interface adapter to screw onto the radio onto the cavalier. I purchased the wrong one and had to drill my own holes.

If your radio doesn't go in all the way, use this:

I dremeled out the back of the radio to make more room for my wiring harness, to ensure the radio does pushes all the way back. After that, you're pretty much done! Just be careful rerouting the red wire to the fuse box so when you're putting the dash bezel on, you won't pinch it.

Put the dash back together. I spent extra time to drill new holes for the mounting locations since the old locations is all cracked off.
Aftermarket radio is so much sexier!

I tried to put as much time into this to make this clear as possible, for the future members who seek help for this. (Sticky maybe?)

Re: How to: 2000-2005 Cavalier Radio Install
Sunday, January 05, 2014 8:36 PM
Great, just noticed the pictures don't work. I used flickr links FYI. Dang it, now I can't edit it..
Sunday, January 05, 2014 8:38 PM
Here is my photo stream, just follow the steps starting with the last picture on the stream first.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/113573529@N03/
Monday, January 06, 2014 10:02 AM
Good info, I know when I did mine, I just started doing it and didn't know about the class 2 system the car has or that you have to take the upper dash out, found everything out the hard way, there was some info on the site but hard to find, there's a lot of things I've noticed that should be stickys but are not, The only sticky in audio forum explains the class 2 system, nothing about installs, I skimmed through it before too and found some install how to's to other websites, but nothing works, other thing I noticed on some how to's, red x pictures... Then the more senior members get mad when a new member starts a new thread. Hopefully someone makes this a sticky, it would be helpful if you never done a stereo in a jbody before. Clubcav has a big howto section as well if you are ever looking for anything else.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires
2005 Mazda 3 GS Auto- Wifes car
2006 Cobalt SS/SC - Intake, 2.5" Exhaust, GMPP Brakes, Solid Mounts, Ported S/C - Sold
1991 GMC Sierra - Lifted on 38.5" Swampers, Too much to list off. For Sale
Monday, January 06, 2014 6:11 PM
Thanks Rick, just upset that the photos didn't show up like I expected.
Monday, January 06, 2014 6:58 PM
Yeah, I usually hit the preview button, I've had that happen before but caught it before I posted it. maybe a mod can fix them? I think you can edit stuff with a premuim membership but not sure?

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires
2006 Cobalt SS/SC - Intake, 2.5" Exhaust, GMPP Brakes, Solid Mounts, Ported S/C - Sold
Monday, January 06, 2014 7:14 PM
Is there even any active mods on here anymore? But I hope they do, damn myself for not using the preview button
Monday, January 06, 2014 7:31 PM
Not sure, I wish there was more stickys though. I spend hours looking for something sometimes and find a nice write up and its like why is this not a sticky? If you don't look "hard' enough and ask your simple question you get 10 people saying use the search button. Even though the 100+ results you get sometimes, most threads are people asking the same question and getting the "use the search button" comments or you find a write up but no pictures anymore. Even a how to section would be nice.

Monday, January 06, 2014 7:40 PM
They tell us to use the search button, when they don't know the answer themselves. And the search results comes up to nothing,.
Tuesday, January 07, 2014 5:02 AM
There are active mods. Use photobucket for pictures, always works really well for me. When you put them here use the "direct link" option they give you.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Sunday, January 26, 2014 11:22 AM
I did everything this guide told me to. Wired the red accessory cable from the stereo harness to the wiper fuse using the fuse tap.All my connections are nice and secure. All colours match up from my harness adapter to my stereo harness. The damn thing still doesn't want to turn on. Is there anything else I can be missing?

Sunday, January 26, 2014 11:30 AM
Did you put a fuse in both slots of the fuse tap?

"In Oldskool we trust"
Sunday, January 26, 2014 1:59 PM
No. I have a red 10 A fuse plugged at the back of the radio (is that called inline?), and only the pink 20A wiper fuse in the double fuse slot. Could that be it?

Sunday, January 26, 2014 2:03 PM
Probably. Put the pink mini fuse in the other slot and see if the radio works(your wipers won't). If that's the case then just buy another fuse and install it and all will be good.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Sunday, January 26, 2014 3:01 PM
Already tried both slots with just the pink fuse. Radio still doesn't turn on. My question is do I need to add another red fuse to the slot, along with my pink wiper one or is my red one (at the back of my radio) already doing the job?

Sunday, January 26, 2014 3:02 PM
Patrick, you must have two 25A fuses in BOTH slots, but if you don't have the fuse right now, just change the fuse in the slot you have it I know and change it to the other slot. It'll work, just the wipers won't work until you install another 25A fuse. Hope this helped
Sunday, January 26, 2014 3:06 PM
Also the fuse in the back of the radio stays there. Two 25A fuse in both slots of the wiper tap. Maybe your 20A fuse isn't enough, but I don't know for sure since my car came with 25A fuse stock.
Sunday, January 26, 2014 3:08 PM
Ok, Ill try that tomorrow. Thanks for the quick replies, it sucks driving without a radio

Sunday, January 26, 2014 4:31 PM
Let me know if that worked!
Sunday, January 26, 2014 6:06 PM
Do you have a light tester or volt meter? Should have constant power on the yellow wire on stereo harness, black should be ground, and the red wire should only have power with ignition on.... If you don't have a light tester, go out and buy one, they are a great tool to have for trying to find out wiring problems.
Also, I've never used a bigger than 15 amp fuse on the red wire, although 20-25 may be okay, all the red wire is used for is turn the stereo on. The main power is the yellow one. My friend had to upgrade the yellow wire on his power hungry alpine deck before, he ran a 30a fuse and 10ga wire to it. At high volumes the deck would flicker and turn off. After that he had no problems.

Monday, January 27, 2014 9:47 AM

Monday, January 27, 2014 11:04 AM
I'm not sure if the yellow wire is fused but maybe someone else knows on here? maybe the fuse (if there is one) is burnt out for that wire. Without a light tester, we are in the dark guessing...

Monday, January 27, 2014 11:06 AM
Tested the yellow wire. Power is good on that.

Monday, January 27, 2014 12:39 PM
And there's power to red? Ground is good? If all 3 are good(power at red and yellow and ground at black), the deck is bad....

Monday, January 27, 2014 2:57 PM
Update: There was no power to the red. Took the dumb add a circuit thing and put the red wire right in with 25A wiper fuse and Voila. The thing is up and lighting. Turned up the volume, but no sound. What should I look for?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search