Tired of my oil issues - Advice? - Page 2 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Tired of my oil issues - Advice?
Friday, October 31, 2008 2:06 PM
Aren't you boosting?

You realize that's going to be putting boost in your crankcase creating positive pressure... right?

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...

Friday, October 31, 2008 4:31 PM
^^^ thats pretty much how stock is, only EVERY runner is connected...

failing to prepare is preparing to fail.
Friday, October 31, 2008 5:40 PM
SweetnessGT wrote:Rarely do I post on here asking about issues I'm having. I'm all about researching the crap out of stuff and figuring it out but this has had me stumped for 2 years and it's gotten to me.

Ever since I had the first built motor 2 seasons ago my car has eaten oil like a champ. It eats oil fast.

For the Air/Oil separator I run the line from the crank case to the separator to a catch can to the turbo intake pre-turbo.

I've gone through 3 different 1/2" Turbo drain lines into the pan. 2 different oil pans with different inlet fittings.

I've used 2 different oil sending lines with 2 different restrictors.

I have blown the same turbo twice in 2 years. I don't overfill the oil, I've run many grades from 20w50 to 10w30.

I blew the turbo on the way home from the bash with less than 4000 miles on it. I have oil on spark plug #4 on the threads. (not the tip) The car does not seem down on power but HPT logs a misfire on cyl 4 at all times (I'm thinking due to oil vapour)... I only took notice of this after the turbo blew, though.

I have had a phantom exterior oil leak on the car for 2 years that I CANNOT find. It just seems to come from nowhere.

I've had oil coming out from under the cam tower bolts - I had to use sealer on the underside of them with washers to stop this phenomenon.

As soon as the turbo blew and the car started smoking like a beast at idle, my catch can started to fill up a little bit. Prior to that it was dry from break-in onward. I am running total seal piston rings... I haven't done a compression test yet but nothing leads me to believe I blew a ring or land or something - I'd HAVE to be down on power. I'm not. Plus the oil isn't on the plug tip.

I have a 2.5" downpipe for the turbo with inernal wastegate. I'm wondering if there's too much exhaust backpressure on the turbo leading to premature seal failure. I'm converting to external this winter (44mm) and leaving the 2.5" downpipe in place. I've only boosted 10 psi on the 2nd built motor.

... With all those symptoms... I need to point out that I have had the PCV Hole in the head blocked this entire time. I have the flange tapped with the Barb fitting there, but it has been blocked by the modified 2.3 manifold gasket.

I'm starting to wonder if it's the solution to all my effin problems. My 2.2 beater was eating oil for 2 years, changed the PCV in sept and now it runs clean, no oil loss. That immediately made me think of the built LD9 and all the effed up oil issues I have.

What EXACTLY does that pcv hole do. When is it used. Under load? Just idle?

Any help here from the boosted guys (esp with LD9's) would be great. I'm sick of battling this problem and rebuilding a turbo every 4000km is starting to REALLY irk me. My oil lines from ATP turbo are less than 3000 km old and I'm running their restrictor now.

This is the #1 reason why I keep not getting dyno #'s. As soon as I get to start tuning the car it blows a turbo... oil smoke everywhere. Then I redo EVERYTHING and try again. It's getting old fast.

Thanks,

-Chris-

wow, i just saw this postr after you responded to mine.

my cavys is doing EXACTLY the same thing!!! maybe worse...

I had oils coming out the cam tower bolt holes as well as between the head and cam towers,
i thought that the bolts just came loose, so i went to re-torque them and most all of them were loose, and some were even stripped.
just got done helicoiling them...

i dont have a catch can or anything, i just have my pcv line going to a lil breather filter, but it was always dripping oil and misting everything near it with an oily mist.

my underbelly is also oil coated now (good for the winter, will keep rust away) from the oil spray off the axle shaft.

i have been dumping oil like CRAZY.... was wondering what is the world is going on...

but as i am twincharged, my PCV vent isnt blocked... it is actually plumbed into my TB for vaccum... but it isnt vaccuum when the turbo spins up... so i am actually presurizing my head!!!!

i think this is what caused the recent death of my turbo... in my other post i explained how it came to a squealing demise...

and sweetness said it sounded like oil starvation... but i am like "nah it has good feed and return, should have plenty of oil" but now reading this... i think we are in the same boat.

i think due to positive crank and head pressure, the oil return wasnt returning, and my turbo starved.

Luckily i can just run my pcv lines to a vacuum easy enough... but i am already short one turbo...

Friday, October 31, 2008 8:13 PM
Interesting reading but I have a question does the 086 head have this same hole or port to vent ?
Saturday, November 01, 2008 6:11 AM
I dont have a 2.4 block sitting around any more so i cant help you with the specifics, but i will see what i can do on the more standard stuff.

PCV should vent any time the engine is running- engine running= blowby= pressure in the crankcase, it wont matter if it is idle or WOT.
Without actually looking at (or remembering) a LD9 head, i would say you are on to something if you are blocking a PCV hole in the head- it stand to reason that this simply cannot be good- i will see if i can get my hands on a head to check. There are aftermarket vaccum pumps available to help with your crankcase pressure. Also check the flow potential of yor A/O seperator, it would have to be a pretty big unit to flow as much as a 1/2" unrestricted line can. I would agree with getting a pressure reading from the crankcase- should tell you quickly if there is an issue there.

If your return is an a constant downhill slope and entering the pan above the oil level there is no reason a 1/2" line shouldnt be sufficient.

I am not understanding the oil on plug number 4 (me>reading?) is it in the plug hole coating the porcelain (sp?) and boot, or is it only on the threads and on the tip?

On a side note- is you turbo BB or not. From what i understand non BB turbos should use a 0.065" restrictor for the oil line, and BB (smaller ones) should use around 0.035" (if there isnt an internal one, since apparently some are built with one)

As i read through your posts it looks like you have already realized the majority of your issues, so stat knocking them off- good luck

_

Now with northstar V8, IRS, 20's n 22's
Saturday, November 01, 2008 6:14 AM
Just to confirm in my own head, and to clarify for those who may not know the port we are refering to....

this is a small hole smack in the middle of the intake side of the head, directly between intake port 2 and 3.

I know at least on the mp45, there is a tiny lil nipple that points straight down that vents this port. it is connected to the inlet side of the sc (usually vacuum but not on a twin setup)

not sure where this is vented to on a stock mani. and it sounds like the old 2.3L stuff didnt have this, so it gets blocked with the use of HO and other 2.3L intakes.

i will see if i cant snap a pic later.

Saturday, November 01, 2008 9:52 AM
I wonder if there is some design differences between the 2.4 heads and the 2.3 heads where on the 2.3 design there is no reason for the pressure to build in the first place. On the other side...if someone would be willing to take a clean 2.4 head and trace that little hole in the head with some dyed water and find out where the pressure is being released from in the head then maybe the 086 swap guys can do something similar depending on the geography of the bleed. This may also allow 2.4 guys to drill a better/bigger hole closer to the "sweet spot" of where the pressure is bleed off from?!?!?

EDIT x2: Suspect it is bleeding pressure from the bottom of the lifters....which wouldn't be hard to rig-up a setup with a much larger ID off of the cam towers.....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Saturday, November 01, 2008 9:56 AM

<table>hello</table>
Saturday, November 01, 2008 10:13 AM
I have a extra head and access to some extra blocks (pre 00 and 00+) I will check into this.

FU Tuning

Saturday, November 01, 2008 10:35 AM
I have a head and block for a 2.4L LD9 (2002) sitting in my garage... and another whole LD9 in my beater car(1998), that i am about to swap out...

oh yeah, and i also had misfires and all that as well. but in my case, it was due to the oil leaks in the cam towers, that would get oil into the spark plug recess's and cause them to arc.

after i heliecoiled my bolts, and got my cam towers snugged back up, and stopped the leak... i left the spark plugs in, but removed the wires/idi... and just sprayed the heck out of the entire area with brake cleaner... then blew it all out with a blowgun. Got every trace of oil off the top of the engine... then took the plugs out, and sprayed them down, and blew out the sockets and all as well... Slapped it all back together and have not had a misfire since.

And then on to my turbo... i removed my pcv line from the head to the TB, and vented it out to open air.... started her up and drove her around a lil.. the horrible squeal has turned into a mild hum. So i think removing that line alone allowed the oil to get back to the turbo... i think the bearing are still shot, but at least it seems to be flowing again.
I am going to try to yank the turbo and see what kinda damage i have. it sounds like it may be just bearings now.. i was fearing something way worse.

anyone tried to take a turbo center section apart or rebuilt one themself?

Next step is to get a catch can and run both the head and blocks PCV lines to this, and plumb it into the pre-turbo intake. see if this further helps issues.

Saturday, November 01, 2008 1:11 PM
The hole in teh head goes to a passage in the block that runs right down to the air/oil seperator. It does not go up into the cam area at all, just into the block.

Sunday, November 02, 2008 7:09 AM
mitdr774 wrote:The hole in teh head goes to a passage in the block that runs right down to the air/oil seperator. It does not go up into the cam area at all, just into the block.

He is correct. I looked lastnight and took some pictures.

Here is pictures:

That hole leads to the first hole to the far right (closest to the air/oil sperator)

We blew air threw the hole and you could hear it going into the seperator, and you could feel it coming out the hose that leads back to the intake. So if you are boosting with this hole hooked up you will boost into it and into the seperator. Hope this helps some.

FU Tuning

Sunday, November 02, 2008 8:24 AM
Awesome thanks guys that clears that up.

As I suspected, it is the PCV "vent" side. I haven't been allowing it to vent right I think...

my question is... what happens with all the pressure built up in the top end?!

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Sunday, November 02, 2008 12:17 PM
hmmmm.. ok... i just pulled my intake off the turbo, and felt my compressor wheel... it feels as tight as new... no play that i can feel in any direction.. feels just like i remeber it when i got it.... and i could spin it by hand real easy, no rubbing, no sounds, no nothing... turbo seems fine.... very odd... what else could be making those noises???

I was sure it was oil starved, and everyone i have talked to tells me that if it is acting like i described it, the bearings must be so far gone the wheels are rubbing and the whole thing is probably shot and will need replaced... but it seems just fine to me. i was expecting the wheel to almost fall off in my hand... but no such un-luck...

so what now?

Sunday, November 02, 2008 7:45 PM
mitdr774 wrote:The hole in teh head goes to a passage in the block that runs right down to the air/oil seperator. It does not go up into the cam area at all, just into the block.

truth i traced this out a few years ago when i was trying to hook up my pcv system, i blocked off the head with my flange for the intake, so i drilled and tapped the black plastic piece, then it runs to a small fuel filter, to a check valve, and then to the a vaccum sorce. not sure if its the proper way or not, but when i pulled my ho intake mani. last year i had a little oil build up in the bottom of the intake. heres a pic of how its run.

R.I.P. Brian Klocke, you will never be forgotten
Sunday, November 02, 2008 9:36 PM
Ive read this over 3 times now, and im still lost on what the solution is for this. With boost do you leave the hole, cover the hole or what?

Sunday, November 02, 2008 10:06 PM
I'm lost as to why the LD9 blocks were talked about like they are worlds apart? (1996-1999 and 2000-2002)

i thought the only difference between Pre00 and 00-02 blocks were the size of knock sensor used (or just a different sized hole)

I'm using a 98' block with an 086 head for boosted hybrid build in my 01 GT...is there more to the block then me just having to drill and tap the knock sensor hole?

Sunday, November 02, 2008 10:18 PM
damn, sorry Chris, i didn't meant to thread jack! I type just a quick as i hit the "buy now" buttons on e-bay....

I swear sometimes it feels like i have a 3-legged gerbal rolling around in a cube in my head >:o

Monday, November 03, 2008 4:10 AM
.the oil issue is because it's an LD9... to solve the problem get an ecotec

jk chris much love! (I own an ld9 as of this moment lol)

But when I boosted my ecotec I always let the PCV vent to atmosphere and I never really had an issue with oil loss. Because I knew having it hooked up it would pressureize the head and make problems

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Monday, November 03, 2008 7:01 AM
Well then with this information there should be no need to bother venting that hole in the intake flange, however that means there still doesn't exist an answer to Chris's problem of pushing oil past the cam bolts. I wonder if you have a cracked head......

This also means that for people who vent the PCV hole in the head to solve existing oil issues they clearly dont have enough venting on the block seperator. We need TTR to make a slim aluminum cover with a -16an vent hole......I've made one that I can send him to mock up and sell....havn't tried it yet...sigh.

EDIT: I still believe if you have enough vent to atm. to not have a pressure problem in the crank case there is no point in sending the PCV system vacuum from the intake tract....

EDIT x2: I wonder what happens to the pressure that may build up in the valvetrain under the lifters.....caused by valve guide blow by. In a NA motor one could say vacuum would fix that since the leak could go both ways but if you boosted could you possibly "lift" the towers or push oil past the seals and cause leaks?!?!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Monday, November 03, 2008 7:51 AM

<table>hello</table>
Monday, November 03, 2008 10:30 AM
Joshua Dearman wrote:Well then with this information there should be no need to bother venting that hole in the intake flange, however that means there still doesn't exist an answer to Chris's problem of pushing oil past the cam bolts. I wonder if you have a cracked head......

Incorrect Joshua. A PCV system contains 3 things usually:

- An air inlet (vent)
- A Valve
- An air outlet

GM decided against the PCV valve on the LD9 and instead installed an air/oil separator that has a bend in it, allowing most of the oil vapour to separate and drip back into the block. The other end of this air/oil separator goes to the intake manifold.

Let me use the 2.2 OHV as a comparison.

The 2.2 OHV has a pcv installed in the back of the valve cover. As far as I understand there is a channel that runs to it from the crank case. When the pressure is too much or when vaccum is introduced, the check valve (PCV Valve) opens and allows this air to be sucked into the intake manifold. But the idea behind the PCV is to suck clean air in too... and for that it uses the VENT on the Valve cover that is connected to the intake tube, sucking in CLEAN filtered air as well as the vapours from the crank case and all its pressure.

Looking at the 2.4 - where is this vent? You look at the air oil separator, it's a glorified PCV minus the check valve. But it needs a vent to suck in CLEAN air too.

That is what I believe the vent in the head is for. It's the equivalent to the 2.2 valve cover vent, the same thing the ecotec has. By blocking off that hole I have essentially taken away the PCV's ability to suck clean air in. Air cannot move unless it has a vent.

Look at plumbing. You flush a toilet without the drain pipe being vented and you introduce negative pressure into the pipe. It doesn't go down the toilet quickly... it moves VERY slowly. Unplug a sink with a non-vented drain and it takes 4-5 minutes to drain that sink. Vent that drain pipe and all of a sudden it drains in 4-8 seconds and you hear that "slurp" of vaccum as the water goes down. When you unplug a sink and see a "whirlpool" as the water goes down, that's the force of the water pushing the excess air/ etc. through the vent pipe. This is required to let the water move freely and as quickly as possible through the drain.

The PCV system requires this vent to do the same thing. By plugging it am basically stopping the flow in the air/oil separator, killing its basic function. Sure it flows some air to my catch can but nowhere near enough... not to mention I'm not introducing clean air into the system to be sucked into the block via the drain back hole.

So yes... that hole in the head must either be vented with a filter, or given vaccum. Without doing that, the PCV system is ineffective. I have caused my own problems for 4 years by blocking this simple little vent off, thinking that I had a functioning PCV system. GM purposely runs a fitting to this and then to the TB on the GM Supercharger - PRE BOOST. You don't want boost in the crank case. If it was useless GM wouldn't have spent the $$$ to engineer a fitting and given you a hose in the kit. You know GM - if it's unnecessary they won't spend the extra $4 to produce it - it's money out of their pockets.

An engine is an air pump. It moves as much air above the piston as it does below it. The air below it needs to be evacuated out as efficiently as possible or pressure builds up, forcing oil and air out of the weakest points, and robbing horsepower due to the piston needing more force to push down on the air under the skirts. You want a vaccum on the crank case at all times if you can manage it.

I will be properly venting this once I remove my H.O intake manifold and install a 1/4" HPT Brass barb fitting into my flange.

Brandon - have you suffered any oil loss issues or had any strange leaks at all?

When you look at how David (Whitecavy's) Car stopped losing oil and blowing it out all corners of the motor the second he vented that hole, it makes sense. Vaccum would help make it even more efficient.

Oh and Joshua, just to address your question about the cracked head - on built motor #1 I was eating just as much oil. When the motor went fubar the head was removed, inspected, one combustion chamber repaired, flow benched, and then new valves and seats put in. This has been a problem on both my built motors. After the first one let go a crack in the head would have been found - but none was. I won't 100% rule it out but currently I doubt the head is cracked since this has been an issue on both motors and the head has been inspected and installed twice with new headgaskets and the proper prep.

P.S I pulled all 4 plugs on saturday and did a compression check. All 4 plugs were clean, no oil on them just a bit too much carbon. All 4 cyls checked out on the comp test. I almost cried a little I was so happy. lol.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Monday, November 03, 2008 10:47 AM
By the way I'd like to thank all of you for contributing your thoughts so far, and thank you John for taking the time to take those pictures as I didn't pay attention to the PCV when my engine was apart.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-

Monday, November 03, 2008 11:29 AM
If that hole in the head goes "straight into the seperator" like they said it does...it does nothing but add additional venting through the separator. IF that hole goes into the crank case then what you said is correct. Do you see why I said what I said now? - I know how a PCV system works, but if that hole does only go into the plastic separator then there is no point in trying to vent it...just increase to venting on the plastic cover. One more vent from the same place = just another vent.... Sure the information may be incorrect...it could go into the block and the air they felt is coming up from the valve but that's not what was said and that's the info I'm going off of.

<table>hello</table>
Monday, November 03, 2008 11:43 AM
I partially agree with that, but with that said, a PCV system needs a fresh air inlet and the crank case inlet. Look at the 2.2 OHV with the valve cover vent. Look at any honda engine, etc...

If it was just a "redundant" vent then why do car makers feel it's necessary?

Like I said a PCV needs a fresh air inlet and an outlet. The hole in the top of the air oil separator is used to go to vaccum to pull the air out through the crank case. The second "vent" is used to bring fresh air in and help move it...

At least from what I can see and understand. Why else would GM go to the task of casting it into the block and into the intake manifold flange? GM isn't known for being redundant "just in case".

I do understand what you're saying but according to how a PCV works (as be both understand, not downplaying your knowledge at all) - it needs a fresh air inlet. How else will the crank case or the outgoing oil-filled air receive fresh air?

Why else would all of these engines dating back to the 60's have a PCV vent on top of the valve cover?

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Monday, November 03, 2008 1:35 PM
ken soggs wrote:hmmmm.. ok... i just pulled my intake off the turbo, and felt my compressor wheel... it feels as tight as new... no play that i can feel in any direction.. feels just like i remeber it when i got it.... and i could spin it by hand real easy, no rubbing, no sounds, no nothing... turbo seems fine.... very odd... what else could be making those noises???

I was sure it was oil starved, and everyone i have talked to tells me that if it is acting like i described it, the bearings must be so far gone the wheels are rubbing and the whole thing is probably shot and will need replaced... but it seems just fine to me. i was expecting the wheel to almost fall off in my hand... but no such un-luck...

so what now?

I could swear Chris started this thread to solve his problem, not discuss the life and death of your poor little turbo. I could be wrong though...

14.330 @ 96.37mph
Monday, November 03, 2008 2:06 PM
Glad I could contribute.

Chris how exactly are you planning to vent the hole in the head?

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search