Vortech build thread (slow progress) - Page 4 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Vortech build thread (slow progress)
Wednesday, April 15, 2009 2:12 PM
yaaahooooooo!!!!!!

PM ME!!!!!

Monday, May 11, 2009 9:23 PM
Time for an update... or a downdate On the weekend of the 18-19 of April I had everything ready to roll minus the computer tuning. So I fire it up without the charge pipes connected to the engine. THis thing moves ALOT of air. All seems to be going well. The scavenge pump is running, the belt alignment looks great and there's no oil leeks. That is until oil starts dripping out of the air filter!!!!! I shut it down and begin investigating. Turns out there's oil in the compressor housing, piping and intercooler. Not cool! It must be the scavenge pump not keeping up, causing oil to collect in the gearbox of the S/C and eventually bypass the seal. Not big deal, I'll just buy a bigger pump.

Two weeks pass before I have a chance to work on it again. I clean the oil out of all the piping and the intercooler. I install the new pump, the green top injectors and do some work with HPT to make it all work. I fire it up and...... it still leaks oil into the compressor housing. I'm glad I thought ahead enough to leave the piping off for the trial this time. It leaks alot less but leaks none the less. The new seal i put in must be screwed. So out it all comes until i can get it all fixed up. So needless to say the whole setup is off the car and sitting on the shelf for now I'm not sure when I'll be able to get the seal fixed. It depends if i can get the compressor wheel off without pulling the whole thing apart. When i rebuilt it last fall i had to dismantle the whole thing to get it off. That means all those expensive Thrust bearings will be ruined and have to be replaced. The entire rebuild kit (bearings and seals) costs nearly $250 US

Wayders is probably smiling ear to ear right now... Although I'm not sure when/if i'll get that done for you.

Heres a comparison pic of the 2 oil pumps... Little one is the sucky one.

While we're looking at pictures, I seem to have misplaced something....

Darn cooling fan ran away again...

WAIT!! I Found it!!!

I decided to make some much needed room by putting the fan on the front side and reverse the wires to make it a push fan. I know it's less efficient this way but i do alot of highway driving anyway.
Heres a couple pics of the engine bay minus the intake mani and s/c piping.

I guess thats all for now... I wish I had better news.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 4:33 AM
man that sucks,.....

.....but i am smiling ear to ear lol j/k

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 4:43 AM
Can you use any kind of oil restrictor to keep the pressure down slightly and now blow past the seals, kinda like the turbo guys do? Just wondering.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 5:43 AM
2.4_LS_4Door (Dayton86) wrote:Can you use any kind of oil restrictor to keep the pressure down slightly and now blow past the seals, kinda like the turbo guys do? Just wondering.

There's a built in restrictor right on the S/C. If there wasn't i don't think i would want to use one considering that this thing has 4 bearings and two gears to lubricate compared to a turbo's 1-2 bearings. I have a feeling that the seal is screwed since the input shaft seal is lower down and not leaking.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 6:48 AM
You need a different style of pump. People with remote mounts have tried that second style pump you have and they tend to fail due to the temperature they are exposed to.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 2:42 PM
I was looking FWD to updates on this build...

Don't give up on it man.

I have a full out custom intercooled centrifugal blower setup on a V6 and once you dial them in they are dangerous, almost as good as a turbo. As with anything new you have some trial and error to iron out, but don't give up on this.

God luck.

11.92 @ 122.69 MPH Rotrex Blower / Intercooled / Water-Meth / 100% Daily Driver / 381 WHP

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 9:14 PM
I seriously got on here to look for this thread and revive it. I am glad to hear you are back into this, but sad you took a step back. Keep it up man.

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 9:24 PM
mitdr774 wrote:You need a different style of pump. People with remote mounts have tried that second style pump you have and they tend to fail due to the temperature they are exposed to.

I've heard this as well but the ebay seller of the good pumps isn't on there any more so I was forced to go with the best choice at the time. I've been thinking of putting an oil cooler in line with the S/C oil feed to fight the high temps.

I don't plan on giving up any time soon... this WILL be running this summer!!!

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 5:14 AM
If I rebuild for a turbo I am going to run a separate oiling system for the turbo and the pump I am looking at is about $500. Its a hard to swallow that cost but I think it will be my best route.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:57 PM
bump for an update?

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 11:17 PM
Not much to update. I decided to send the S/C to Vortech to get repaired. It'll be a little more expensive but at least it will be done right. It's in shipping somewhere between here and California. Once i get it back everything should be good to go.

Sunday, June 21, 2009 11:18 AM
Vortech charges too much money to repair there blowers.Back when i had the blower on my z,i had the same problems as you.It was leaking oil out of the inlet and outlet of the blower.I found a place called mills racing.They replaced the carbon seal behind the impeller.They charged me 125 bucks vs vortechs 750 bucks.

Peter
'06 Cobalt ss/sc W/G85 Package
Gm Stage II W/2.79" Pulley
K&N Drop In Filter
Custom Magnaflow Dual Exhaust

Saturday, March 27, 2010 3:11 PM
I am bringing this back from the dead in the hopes of an update...

Saturday, March 27, 2010 5:20 PM
i'm sorry for leaving this hang... I could have swore i updated this last june.

Turns out the blower was messed right up. It was beyond repair and a replacement was too expensive. I decided to cut my losses and sell. I sold all my stuff to another JBO member. I think his car is getting a major overhaul right now. I'm hoping to see this setup in action yet. As for my Sunfire, it got smacked in a parking lot in August. Insurance totalled it off so i stripped all the performance parts i could and sold them. Again I'm sorry for leaving this unattended... i thought i had posted this info.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 5:47 PM
That sucks man, that was a cool build.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 9:57 AM
damn, i saw how old this thread was and i read it all only to be disapointed. it would have been a nice ride.
Friday, April 27, 2012 9:09 PM
Damn I was toying with this very idea for the past few week, figured someone on JBO had to have thought of it before me. Sad to see it end like this, but best wishes.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search