Vortech build thread (slow progress) - Page 3 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Vortech build thread (slow progress)
Monday, September 15, 2008 4:59 PM
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

The pulley should be ok. It has a bolt that threads into the center of the shaft as well as 2 set screws, one of which is lined up with and screwed down into the key way of the shaft. I've bee thinking about drilling and tapping a second screw that would go into the key way as well. Even if the set screws let go the bolt in the center would hold the pulley on the shaft and keep it from causing too many problems.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 1:31 PM
how's this been going for you? any updates
Tuesday, September 30, 2008 4:55 PM
Not much has happened lately. I got injector clips from the junkyard. It's starting to get cold up here (chance of snow on saturday) so I'm thinking this project is going to have to be put off until spring.

The reasons being: 1. Tuning/troubleshooting an unfamiliar setup during winter isn't my idea of fun.
2. I'm buying a new snowmobile in the next month or 2 so I'm saving my money for a down payment.

This means "to be continued in spring"

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 5:29 PM
booooooourns!

thats kinda good anyways....gives me time to save

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 5:36 PM
WAYDERS wrote:booooooourns!

I know I've been denying the inevitable tho. Even if got it running I would have to pull it off for winter anyway (BOVs and -40'C don't mix)

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 6:54 PM
So, a centrifugal supercharger is spun off the serpentine belt right ?

Kiddin'

THIS IS A WICKED BUILD. You'll have a blast beating all the GM kits out there. Good work with the custom braketry !!

11.92 @ 122.69 MPH Rotrex Blower / Intercooled / Water-Meth / 100% Daily Driver / 381 WHP

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 10:22 PM
I hate centrifugal blowers. Ask me how I know.

I've been running a V9 for the last 6 months and have hated every minute of it. This Winter I'm ripping it off and going with an hta37r instead. F centrigual's.

Good luck on the build though

Thursday, October 02, 2008 8:03 PM
ptrblkz24 wrote:Wow,looks good man.Thats the way the vortech shoulda been used in the first place.Sometimes i miss the vortech blower on my z.. I sold the kit when i was getting the cobalt.Besides the oil leaks,the 1st blower seizing up on me,the second one leaking oil internally,and the broken cam shaft,it wasnt a bad kit,lol.

I knew there was someone that broke their cam with that kit..... couldn't remember who it was.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Thursday, October 02, 2008 8:52 PM
belt drive PS FTW....

(Quad-4 thing)

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Thursday, October 09, 2008 5:21 PM
hey i've been watching this and debating to try and squeeze my old p600b procharger off my t/a on my 2.4 swap i just did. Just cuious as to i know our chargers are different but what size pulley did you go with? I've been setting here try to figure out about what size pulley i would need for 9 lbs to 10lbs. I'm trying to figure out a good formula or something to get it about the right size.

I know it has prochargers 9lb 8 rib pulley on it now. And i seen from 8 to 9 with a 6inch crank pulley. Not sure about the size of the one on the charger though. But i also seen you said the crank pulley is 8 in. but on ld9s post for his pulleys i believe he said that stock is 6.48. Could be wrong though. Also another thing i thought of was that a 350 compared to a 2.4 is the 350 is going to take more air to see the same psi as the 2.4 since being more volume.
Thursday, October 09, 2008 6:22 PM
There's no formula for boost numbers. You'd need a compressor map for that S/C and the CFM requirements of the engine to figure out how fast the impeller needs to go for the amount of boost you want. I went with an approx. 4" pulley. The way i figured it out was using the pulley sizes that the original RSM kit had so i should be making about the same boost as the kit was, maybe a bit more. In your case it could end up being a guess and check deal to find the right pulley.

I'm pretty sure its an 8" pulley... I measured my stock one. If you ran your S/C at the same speed on your 2.4 as your 350 your gonna see more boost. The engine is using less air but the S/C it still trying to pump as much air as the 350 needed. So if the engine can't use it the S/C is gonna push the air anyway making more PSI.

Thursday, October 09, 2008 7:47 PM
Sleepy I understand your dilema but I am still sad to see this project put off till spring. Best of luck to when you start back up on it.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Thursday, October 09, 2008 10:33 PM
sad or impatient, Wade? I think it is the latter I want to see this thing done like yesturday. I love watching this thread.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

In my family we teach that boys have a God-stick and girls have a Shame Cave. -John Stewart
Friday, October 10, 2008 9:02 AM
Thanks guys.... I'm disappointed too. I'm just hoping i can get all the parts i need over winter so i can have it setup all summer

Friday, October 10, 2008 6:15 PM
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=40&i=139147&t=129642&p=2 That was the post i was refering to i think. Close to the bottom by blown ld9. Here is the specs that i have don't know where to get compressor maps for the p600b though. http://www.procharger.com/models.shtml it is the p600b. I was think of something like 60,000rpm is the max rpm and 24psi is the max.

Take 60,000/24=2500 Say i want some where around 9psi. So 2500x9= 22500 would be the rpm i would plug into you eqaution from earlier in the post. But i also know cfm of the motor and charger have a roll too. How would i exactly try and figure out the cfm of the motor or maybe get a good guess.
Monday, October 13, 2008 3:33 AM
sleepy sunfire wrote:I'm pretty sure its an 8" pulley... I measured my stock one.

Hey, just a FYI...
Blown Phoniex wrote:
Thanks man you might want to post that info up for lazy sunfire not sure of name. The one that is doing the vortech build he believes it is 8 inches for some reason... I'd hate to see him go through all that trouble for hardly no boost.
-MD- LD9 wrote:
From center line to center line of the pulley grooves is 6.248".
From the top of the Grooves to top of grooves is 6.406"
Hope that helps.
Blown Phoniex wrote:
Hey bud i seen you made crank pulleys for the ld9. Well I'm trying to figure out what size the crank pulley. I'm working on putting a p600b procharger on my 2.4 and can't seem to get a straight answer on the size. Some say it is 8inchs others say it is 6 3/4. Thanks for any help.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edited Monday, October 13, 2008 3:48 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, October 13, 2008 8:47 PM
Thanks for the info... i was sure i had measured it out to approx 8" but i'm not going to doubt you. At this stage of the game i'm gonna have to keep the pulley i already have so hopefully it works out.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 9:02 PM
I know its still winter but updates?

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 10:28 PM
Sorry for the double post but have you thought about something like this: http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=19

Obviously they don't make a kit for a J, but I am sure they would sell you the pump, tank, cooler and radiator. I know you have already bought your air-to-air intercooler but this says 100 degrees cooling @10 PSI. Something to at least think about.

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Thursday, February 19, 2009 4:39 AM
not too much to update on. I have the scavenge pump and i just finished paying for my intercooler piping a minute ago so once that gets here i'll have everything i need except warm weather.

The air to water intercooler you posted was in my thoughts early on but its just too expensive.

Thursday, February 19, 2009 8:06 PM
nice project, i want a supercharger on the LN2 so bad so a project like this might be in my future. lol

Tuesday, March 03, 2009 6:54 PM
Time for a minor update. No work has been done on the car but I'm slowly gathering parts.

What have we here???

Some intercooler piping! There's 2 of each pipe pictured, 8 couplers and 16 T-clamps

I also have a scavenge pump for the oil drain. Its small but should get the job done.

A close-up of the pump

Once I'm out of trade school in May I hope i can get some serious work done on this project.

Tuesday, March 03, 2009 7:32 PM
WOOOT!

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 5:02 PM
Teaser Time!!!!!!

I started on it this past weekend but didn't get done. Hopefully I can get it finished up this coming weekend. Now i just need to track down a 2 bar map before then.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 12:54 PM
Nice.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search