TurboCavalier98 ~ Rebuild Thread - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
TurboCavalier98 ~ Rebuild Thread
Saturday, June 05, 2010 9:10 PM
Alright guys,

For anybody who doesnt know me, it's been a few years since I have even driven my car. My car has been under construction for a what seems like for ever. I wanted to post up whats been going on where I am headed and maybe get some insight. (hopefully very little bashing) (please mind some of this will not fit under "Boost" forum but I promise the final product will)

I will start with the car before it hit the body shop. Intially this car has had 3 different body kits on it with a bunch of different headlight & Taillight combos. Here is the car with an Avenger FB, Accord headlights.

The headlights fit like $&!# with the stock fenders and the urathane bumper so it was time for a major front end over haul....

Once the body work was at a stand still with out the intercooler and piping the final fitment had to wait. So the fun began at first I did most of the work myself... here lies my first mistake... As you can see I had absolutely no care about hood fitment.

Here is my next stab at a self install...

I was having a lot of issues trying to get the car to turn over after getting a little wire clipping happy. (decided to gut out my A/C, Air bags and aftermarket Alpine alarm system. I ended up taking my car to a local mechanic who screwed me out of a grand. Long story short here is the car after a local tuner had it for a month and got the car cleaned up and running.

Once the car was up and running it was towed to the local performance transmission shop. (I had been waiting for almost 5 years for this shop to get my car in) (this is the car sitting on the lift transmission-less @ Pro Transmissions of Tampa)

Once the tranny was fitted with a IPT rebuild kit, modified valve body, force motor soldenoid, Yank 3000, Team Green LSD insert, TTR Trans mount and cryotread the car was taken to its current resting place. S&R performance is one of Tampa's premier one stop shops. They are currently rebuilding my car from ground up. Here is a list of the current changes:

2.5" dual exhaust for 3" exhaust w/single muffler and dual outlets
2" down pipe w/waste gate pipe for 3" down pipe with open dump
MIG welded header changed to TIG welded (J-Tuners MIG welded it)
unwrapped turbo header for wrapped header
ebay intercooler piping kit for a custom 3 piece intercooler piping (current setup was made by me and looks like $#@!)
(4)stock injectors for (6) 650cc RC Engineering injectors
1.5:1 steel roller rockers for 1.6:1 aluminum full roller rockers
adjusting the lash accordingly
Stock brakes w/powerslot rotors for O.E.M. Big Brake kit
GM F.S.T.B for O.E.M. Godzilla
Vibrant RSTB for O.E.M.
Relocating transcooler
Building new intake system for Turbo
setting up boost controller and turbo timer
Felpro head gasket changed to a Cometic MLS head gasket
stock main studs for ARP
direct port nitrous kit installed
Swapping my current Turbonetics T3/T4 for a brand new GT-K 500 (hopefully anyway, considering a precision as well)
Then back on the dyno to be retuned and the wide body conversion to start/finish

Finally here are a few pictures of where the car is at today 6/5/10

Sorry maybe not the most exciting posting but I should have some pretty bad @$$ photos here soon as my car is finally being worked on.

Re: TurboCavalier98 ~ Rebuild Thread
Sunday, June 06, 2010 12:48 AM
very cool build.

damn you for cutting on an apc hood though! lol

180hp in 1989 or 145hp in 2002, you decide. >
Sunday, June 06, 2010 5:39 AM
You know I was thinking the same thing Brad but never saw the hood actualy cut up soo maybe it was never put back on.

Nice build, sounds like it will be a ALOT more fun with all the new parts/work going on. Always wondered more about this car from seeing your sig with the tall intercooler hah. Oh and Ill take your garrett

Sunday, June 06, 2010 6:38 AM
The hood has only been cut to accomidate the Accord headlights. I know the cars not a Honda but I like the solid look of there one piece headlights.

As far as intercooler, I had a bigger one but because of the headlights I had to go with a taller unit over the wider one I had.

If the new turbo comes into my plans like I'm hoping my current turbo will be available. It's pretty new, less than 20 miles or even an hour of time on it. Going larger, looking for absolutely as close to 500hp as possible w/o nitrous. Now before some one says no f@&$ing way, just sit back and watch what happens. I have a lot invested in this and I truly believe this car will turn some heads. Maybe not 500hp of head turning but if you understood the pedigree of the shop it's at now you sold understand my optimistic view.

Monday, June 07, 2010 5:19 PM
Sick. Cant wait to see this in person.

Mark

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Monday, June 07, 2010 6:43 PM
thats a 2.2ohv, the ln2 motor, right?
Tuesday, June 08, 2010 8:16 AM
allen williams wrote:thats a 2.2ohv, the ln2 motor, right?

yep. its the 2200
Tuesday, June 08, 2010 11:55 AM
Can't wait to see the results Josh! Looks like I may need to crank up my boost

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Tuesday, June 08, 2010 12:37 PM
let me know when this is done....bc im coming down south for a photoshoot asap lol

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Tuesday, June 08, 2010 9:49 PM
QWK LN2 (needs an @ss whoopin) wrote:Can't wait to see the results Josh! Looks like I may need to crank up my boost

You and me both. Here is the basic idea I have as far as single muffler dual exit exhaust Obviously this exact exhaust will not fit on our cars, or atleast not as easily as others. Let me know what you all think.

Here is the turbo I am after.

Wednesday, June 09, 2010 1:53 PM
Josh, Can I ask why you are leaning towards the GTK500? Honestly, I would go for the GT3076R (same as mine).. The GTK is a nice turbo, but for the price of it, its not worth it IMHO...

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Wednesday, June 09, 2010 7:06 PM
Because that turbo is straight nasty. Looks mean as F*** and can produce some searious numbers. Besides $1500 is just a drop of water in the pond I have created. I spent more on that on the turbo I have no in the end because I was screwed over on a "custom made" turbo kit.

Monday, June 21, 2010 10:31 AM
Alright so a my project took pretty bad step in the wrong direction today... I received a phone call stating my turbo is toast. The exhaust housing has several cracks, the fins on the wheel are bent/broken and I need to head another direction... As i stated before I am interested in the GTK500. My question is what turbo are you running? I need some suggestions.

Basically I am looking for as close to 500whp as absolutely possible. The shop the car is at now is going to run some numbers and see what they can get me and for how much. I still feel the GTK500 is my best bet, the turbo is expensive but I like the look of the turbo, the fact that the compressor housing is drilled and that the HP rating is exactly where I want to be...

I am going to come out and straight up admit I know very little about all this. I know what I want out of the car, the brands I do and do not want to use and the dollar amount I am willing to go. I am in no way ,shape or form a mechanic. I just want some suggestions and opinions before this shop calls me and I commit to a turbo.

Monday, June 21, 2010 10:49 AM
this is the turbo i bought for my J Rated for up too 550HP

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=GRT-TBO-048&Category_Code=TBN

only difference from the pic is i got the antisurge housing

pics of mine

Monday, June 21, 2010 12:32 PM
Like I said before... GT3076R... You won't be disappointed..

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Monday, June 21, 2010 5:11 PM
So I was looking at garett turbos. What do you all think of the GT3582R? Looking at a cermic coated hot side polished and drilled compressor housing...

Monday, June 21, 2010 7:45 PM
Josh G. wrote:So I was looking at garett turbos. What do you all think of the GT3582R? Looking at a cermic coated hot side polished and drilled compressor housing...
Its a very good turbo, but your head will never flow enough to utilize it.... If you went that route, you will need to rev well past 7K to even be in the proper efficiency range, and even at that, it will be a dyno queen only... Also, are you planning on going standalone, or are you going to stick with HPT? I'm not trying to tell you how to do your build, I am just letting you know I have done enough research on this to know what will and won't work.... You need to think about usable power....

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Monday, June 21, 2010 8:50 PM
im now avoiding ATP like the plague for turbo's, well atleast for any turbo information. now i talk to cliff at www.turbopower.com and he is taking care of me REALLY well.

and listen to ryan on this one... he knows his 2200's even more, boosted 2200's

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 4:01 AM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:

and listen to ryan on this one... he knows his 2200's even more, boosted 2200's

True Statement

Saturday, June 26, 2010 4:11 PM
Small update. Went to go drop off a deposit on the new turbo and talk about options.... Found out that the old turbo was sent off to MIC Turbo down in Miami, going to rebuild instead of replace. Also I found out that the turbo I currently have is a Garrett T3/T4R (757197-5) with a Turbonetics turbine housing on it... Shows how much I knew about it. Needless to say i'm replacing both housings and the compress wheel and the seals. I want to look into a drilled compressor housing for this turbo and see if I can upgrade to a GTX-R wheel.

Head is back on, the manifold is on for a test fitment before it is wrapped.

New 3" down pipe... note that the down pipe now does not have a waste gate dump pipe as I opted for an open dump

Just an over all engine bay progress. Thats the down pipe in the left corner (RH side by strut)

Saturday, June 26, 2010 9:22 PM
Josh G. wrote:Small update. Went to go drop off a deposit on the new turbo and talk about options.... Found out that the old turbo was sent off to MIC Turbo down in Miami, going to rebuild instead of replace. Also I found out that the turbo I currently have is a Garrett T3/T4R (757197-5) with a Turbonetics turbine housing on it... Shows how much I knew about it. Needless to say i'm replacing both housings and the compress wheel and the seals.
Who told you that? I think you have misinformed. After looking at the pics of your turbo, it appears to be oil cooled only. The CHRA for what you are saying yours is is oil and water cooled as its a dual ball bearing CHRA.. Did you mean that you are upgrading to this option?

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Sunday, June 27, 2010 6:28 AM
OK I must have heard him wrong. Like I stated before I know very little about this turbo. I know that I was informed yesterday that it is a Garrett T3/T4 with a Turbonetics housing. I know that the turbo is straight oil cooled and is ball bearing Instead of me continuing to guess at what exact model it is I will post up pictures and what ever information I get when I get the rebuilt turbo back.

Like I said I am hoping to do what ever upgrades I can since its being rebuilt and saving me a ton of money. I need to call Monday to ask about the different wheel and the anti surge housing.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 2:45 PM
So not a huge update but an update non the less.

My rebuilt turbo arrived back last weekend from MIC in Miami, I will post up pictures later this week. Ended up just rebuilding my old turbo instead of buying a new one. With the money I saved on the turbo I picked up a HKS EVC-S boost controller and a 38mm Tial wastegate. These parts upgraded the manual turbosmart boost controller and the Ebay wastegate. I know Holy $#!& I actually considered running a cheap wastegate. WTF was I thinking?

I am picking up a valve cover spacer this week from Phil to finally convert my roller rockers over to the nice 1.6:1 aluminum arms I have waiting. This next week we are suppose to be dropping off the turbine housing and my valve cover to get both of them polished. May end up waiting on the polishing aspect. Trying to decide if I want to polish the intercooler piping or wrap it. Any suggestions?

Anybody want a brand new never actually been used TurboSmart manual boost controller? Let me know.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 2:54 PM
i would keep the manual boost controller just in case.... Depending on your boost levels, you may end up wanting to go back to it...

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 7:46 PM
Small Update with pictures to follow in the next couple days (latest is next friday..pay day)

My car is basically done and ready to start tuning. The new down pipe is in, the rebuilt turbo was sent out to have the exhaust ceramic coated and the inlet housing I had polished along with a spare valve cover. The polishing work came out amazing. The tubular manifold was re-welded and jet coated black. The black ebay intercooler piping has since been ditched for some custom 3 piece mandel bent piping (deciding if I want it polished or wrapped, leaning towards polished)

The shop re-ran all of my electrical wiring in the engine bay, they re-mounted my custom Griffin radiator, re-ran the coolant hoses. The radiator now mounts in the center to the hood latch bracket.

I ditched the 2.5" exhaust with dual mufflers for a 3" down pipe to 3" exhaust with single muffler dual tip (one right side/one left side of car, not side by side)

The motor is entirely back together with the new roller rockers (1.6:1) are in, MLS head gasket (.073) and the valve cover spacer (Thanks again Phil) have been installed.

The last few things left will be finished when I have the other $2,000. Here is what is left on the plate.

Install O.E.M. brake kit
Install Boost Controller
Install Turbo timer
Install direct port nitrous setup (75-125hp not sure yet, considering dual stage)
Tune car

Then pick a color and finish wide body kit and paint it. My goal is 100% done and daily driven by June 2011. I know I know that is a long @$$ time away... I am not a millionaire and will gladly take donations LOL. If you want my paypal holla! j/k

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search