Fully built - Supercharged & Turbocharged LSJ in a Cavalier - Page 2 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Fully built - Supercharged & Turbocharged LSJ in a Cavalier
Monday, July 11, 2011 4:15 AM
i have heard quite a bit about this build....glad to see it coming along nicely and with pics

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Monday, July 11, 2011 6:16 AM
Xian75 wrote:I do have a couple questions.

#60 injectors.. what's good fuel pressure? running at 60 PSI at idle runs up to almost 70 PSI under load.
I have #80 injectors should I use them?

Granted we could probably do alittle more tuning to bring the IDC down but i am currently at 85% IDC on 63# injectors with just my M62. If you have an AFPR and an aftermarket fuel pump, i would start with the 60s and toss in the 80s if you need them. If you dont have those 2 things then i would just start with the 80s.

Xian75 wrote:
15lbs + boost; just as I let off clutch and B/O valve goes; or if in 5th and I build up boost and let off; I get multiple misfire with 2 different ICMs and 2 different coils with and without MSD. I assume spark blow out. I tried 0.032 - 0.025 - could it be something else?

What spark plugs are you using? I'd try dropping a step or 2 colder and see if that helps.

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Monday, July 11, 2011 1:13 PM
I am using NGK 4644s. I think those are 2 step colder.

Here's my new air intake placement. Again I cut 1/2" off the top of the upper engine mount.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 8:23 AM
Interesting build.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, October 11, 2011 8:41 AM
Badass, any dyno numbers yet?

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 10:30 AM
The car is currently at FU Tuning. Hoping for dyno time Saturday.

Had a lot of small issues that have slowed things down, but should be good now.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 4:54 AM
Woot, in for dyno tune results and numbers!

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 10:05 AM
Hey john i'll love to tag along for this if it does get tune Saturday.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
~Using nitrous is like having sex with a hot chick with an STD, you wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences.~
Thursday, October 13, 2011 8:12 AM
Yes we had some small issues:

Being twin charged I didn't realize the wastegate vacuum had to be run to the manifold pressure to see boost from the SC, not to the turbo like it was normally.
The #60 injectors were maxing out their duty cycles. So John replaced them with #80s.
The Racetronix F99 pump was not enough to hold fuel pressure under boost. I had to add a inline Walboro 255.
The port on the intake manifold was to small for vacuum source. I drilled and tapped the intake with a bigger fitting for better vacuum.
I also replaced the old intercooler with another that is 6" longer 3" taller and 1/2" thicker.
With 2.7 pulley it was creating to much boost - 30 PSI. I replaced the 2.7 pulley with 3.0 and still seeing 27 PSI of boost.

Now that the mechanical issues are dealt with John can finish tuning, and hopefully have dyno numbers to post by the end of this weekend.
Hey Mike, it is up to John about joining for the dyno. I believe there is a meet that weekend. If so I will bring it. I want a rematch Mike
Friday, October 14, 2011 1:28 AM
Hell yeah I want a rematch!!!!! My car's holding boost now to, o yeah. There's only one thing though............ the cars down for rear brake install (u and John know how bad they where). Only thing I'm really waiting on are the ebrake brackets from OEM.

I'll more than likely be in the GXP if we meet up this weekend but that's fine you can just tell people how bad you beat a v8 lol. Glad to see all the issues are getting taken care of though, I really want to see this thing run.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
~Using nitrous is like having sex with a hot chick with an STD, you wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences.~
Sunday, October 16, 2011 7:37 AM
Numbers were not what we were hoping for, but considering the setup, Alpha-N tuning, the heat. Still decent.

356whp and 350wtq. I will scan the print out later and post up.

FU Tuning

Sunday, October 16, 2011 11:08 AM
very cool. I'm looking forward to the dyno sheet.

Sunday, October 16, 2011 1:24 PM
sorry if I missed it but what numbers are you shooting for? Expecting and hoping are two different numbers...crazy build...but in the end it sounds more like a neat experiment than an efficient setup compared to a fully built turbo setup.
Please tell me someone shot a dyno vid!

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Sunday, October 16, 2011 2:50 PM
I wasn't exactly sure of what numbers I planned for. I was hoping for 400.
So 350 isn't bad. Yes it will be better after I remove the SC and manifold and get a ls1 turbo intake. Just go straight turbo with turbo grind cams later on.
Here's the dyno sheet:

Sunday, October 16, 2011 3:28 PM
The build is cool but for that boost pressure on almost 28psi Those numbers are OK that supercharger is killing your power.

Sunday, October 16, 2011 4:57 PM
Ricardo Rosario wrote:The build is cool but for that boost pressure on almost 28psi Those numbers are OK that supercharger is killing your power.

You are soo correct. We actually hit 359whp on the very first run with the car cool, torque was only like 341. The lowest the IAT's got on the dyno was 136. On the street cruising they are usually at 120.

I think with race gas some more could be made on this setup, but he has pretty much decided to put the charger in his other car when he gets a motor ready for it.

Less boost on straight turbo it will make more.

FU Tuning

Sunday, October 16, 2011 5:05 PM
either way..its gotta be a blast to drive, and how many people can actually say "yeah, my Supercharger is boosting my Turbo..so yeah..." haha

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Monday, October 17, 2011 11:24 AM
Ricardo Rosario wrote:The build is cool but for that boost pressure on almost 28psi Those numbers are OK that supercharger is killing your power.

kinda of what i was thinking but grats on getting the #s out there

Monday, October 17, 2011 12:40 PM
He was having a starting issue that seems to have been the battery, a new redtop has fixed this. A coil also died on the way home. I suspect the coil died from the voltage issue. Possible that a little more could be had now, but not sure. Makes me wonder. hmmm.

FU Tuning

Monday, October 17, 2011 1:27 PM
Addicted to meth wrote:He was having a starting issue that seems to have been the battery, a new redtop has fixed this. A coil also died on the way home. I suspect the coil died from the voltage issue. Possible that a little more could be had now, but not sure. Makes me wonder. hmmm.

is he running MSD or stock ignition on it ??

Monday, October 17, 2011 2:16 PM
The Jew wrote:
Addicted to meth wrote:He was having a starting issue that seems to have been the battery, a new redtop has fixed this. A coil also died on the way home. I suspect the coil died from the voltage issue. Possible that a little more could be had now, but not sure. Makes me wonder. hmmm.

is he running MSD or stock ignition on it ??

Stock coils and ICM, with a MSD.

FU Tuning

Monday, October 17, 2011 7:38 PM
its got a SUPERCHARGER! But in all honesty the little thing runs good. I enjoyed the couple rides I got in it.
Monday, October 17, 2011 11:20 PM
As much as I hate on twin-charging in general---- that dyno does show a REALLY monstrous power curve. The area under the curve is ridiculous, which is to be expected. Although, in a FWD car, that much low-mid torque is almost pointless since you'll never get it to the ground. In an AWD car I'd be all for it. Impressive build, but I think you're doing the righ thing going turbo-only instead.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:54 PM
Those numbers are ok for the set up but the power curve isn't all that great(until 4k). I would want to see more torque in the earlier rpms but I think he needs a larger pulley and a bigger turbo. In the end twin charging in a FWD car is pretty pointless, unless you run slicks all the time. His power curve is damn near the same as my cobalt with just a turbo(up until 4k). The point of twincharging in my eyes is to get more torque throughout the whole rpm range, not peak HP. There is some nice toque from 4k on though. Like is said before I would have thought it would have built more torque sooner(could also be because of the dyno loading). I bet with just the turbo he could get the same torque curve before 4k with a higher peak hp.

For the set up and tuning handicaps with the eco computer, it looks pretty good. Looks like it has some nice top end

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 6:00 PM
jmarks82 wrote:Those numbers are ok for the set up but the power curve isn't all that great(until 4k). I would want to see more torque in the earlier rpms but I think he needs a larger pulley and a bigger turbo. In the end twin charging in a FWD car is pretty pointless, unless you run slicks all the time. His power curve is damn near the same as my cobalt with just a turbo(up until 4k). The point of twincharging in my eyes is to get more torque throughout the whole rpm range, not peak HP. There is some nice toque from 4k on though. Like is said before I would have thought it would have built more torque sooner(could also be because of the dyno loading). I bet with just the turbo he could get the same torque curve before 4k with a higher peak hp.

For the set up and tuning handicaps with the eco computer, it looks pretty good. Looks like it has some nice top end

agree.

I think the blower cams is the reason in the 4k+ power and torque.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search