Lsj to l61 cam comparability? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Lsj to l61 cam comparability?
Thursday, November 24, 2011 7:13 AM
I'm aware that I cannot use actual lsj cams in a L61.

That being said from my reading on CSS the comp cams blower cams all be it a upgrade is not that great since they are not actually made for blowers but just off the shelf cams pieced together.

From what I've read the zzp cams are the only real upgrade that's made for blowers. Something to do with the proper lift and degreeing.

So if inwas to get the specs for the zzp cams and get comp cams to grind them for me on a set of l61 cam blanks would that work?

Or is there other differences between our 2 cars cams that I'm not aware of?

Re: Lsj to l61 cam comparability?
Thursday, November 24, 2011 7:29 AM
You could cut the cam sensor stub off. And block off the power steering pump opening. Then have no power steering or figure out a belt driven power steering pump. ZZP cams are also made by comp cams from fresh blanks. You could have ZZP get comp cams to make their specs but on L61 cams instead of LSJ. The comp cams blower cams would still be an upgrade on the l61 cams. You could also try the stage 2 intake cam with the stage 3 exhaust cam, people have tried that but I've never heard back on it.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Thursday, November 24, 2011 7:34 AM
Each blower build is going to alittle bit different and thus for maximum performance a custom grind will help. I see it as since you are already getting "custom" cams, just talk with comp or another company and get a set custom ground to your specific needs.

Thursday, November 24, 2011 8:33 AM
Tinkles(Boost Face) wrote:Each blower build is going to alittle bit different and thus for maximum performance a custom grind will help. I see it as since you are already getting "custom" cams, just talk with comp or another company and get a set custom ground to your specific needs.

This.

I would definitely look into custom grinds. And if you can't get blanks, there are several companies that will weld on material when regrinding stock cams so you can retain the proper size base circles (and avoiding using shims).

Thursday, November 24, 2011 11:28 AM
I'm not wanting to use the lsj cams. .... Just their specs.

Comp uses blanks and doesn't charge extra for custom grinds.

To be honest I have no clue about cam specs and not going to learn. That's why I figured since zzp has had great results I could use their specs.... And get comp cams to grind those specs for me on a l61 blank.
Thursday, November 24, 2011 1:12 PM
I shouldn't say I won't learn but I'm realistic in knowing my abilities.

I know that someone that's spent years making cam profiles is prolly going to have better luck then me that's spent a few months reading about it.
Thursday, November 24, 2011 1:27 PM
Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:You could also try the stage 2 intake cam with the stage 3 exhaust cam, people have tried that but I've never heard back on it.

No one has tried it, that is why you havent heard back from them.

Philly D wrote:I shouldn't say I won't learn but I'm realistic in knowing my abilities.

I know that someone that's spent years making cam profiles is prolly going to have better luck then me that's spent a few months reading about it.

You dont need to know the exact specs you need to get custom cams. Just talk with someone at Comp, tell them your mods and goals and they should be able to set you up with a nice grind.

Thursday, November 24, 2011 1:42 PM
You dont just need to talk to comp. There's plenty other people who make cams, but they're going to need to know what the ports do on a flow bench to get you a good grind.

Thursday, November 24, 2011 6:48 PM
Also keep in mind, the LSJ is a 2 liter engine, so you're going to want a bumpier cam on the 2.2, they work together, something ryan (oldskool) taught me when looking at cams for the hybrid
Thursday, November 24, 2011 6:55 PM
True, ecotecfiero said the 2.4 hybrid was a total dog on stock l61 cams. Makes sense, you got to get more air in.

Thursday, November 24, 2011 7:05 PM
Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:True, ecotecfiero said the 2.4 hybrid was a total dog on stock l61 cams. Makes sense, you got to get more air in.

Yeah we also noticed all eco engines use the same valvesprings stock, but yet the stock LE5 cams have specs similiar to the comp stage 1's, so stock 2.2's can use the stage 1's on stock springs.

Ecofiero peaked at like 5400 rpms on a stock 2.2 top end.

Thursday, November 24, 2011 7:18 PM
Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:You could also try the stage 2 intake cam with the stage 3 exhaust cam, people have tried that but I've never heard back on it.

This is essentially the grind I'll be doing, though i think I'll be increasing the exhaust duration just a bit.

Thursday, November 24, 2011 9:06 PM
I was thinking something similar as well, but based on the flow bench numbers from the ported heads I'v been looking at. With a ported head I was thinking of running duration in that neighborhood but with .500 lift and a higher ramp rate (dont know how much ramp rate the lifters can take though).

Thursday, November 24, 2011 9:37 PM
Id be curious about that as well...

Wonder about codes since I cant have any here with our e-testing
Thursday, November 24, 2011 9:42 PM
Codes? You're going to get a tune with cams...

Friday, November 25, 2011 5:28 AM
So your saying nobody that has ever got a tune doesnt have codes lol...

I have a couple friends locally that have tunes with cams and both have codes from them. Random misfire I believe it is.

Mind you both of them are tri-flows from LZM
Friday, November 25, 2011 6:30 AM
Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:I was thinking something similar as well, but based on the flow bench numbers from the ported heads I'v been looking at. With a ported head I was thinking of running duration in that neighborhood but with .500 lift and a higher ramp rate (dont know how much ramp rate the lifters can take though).

I'm curious too what the lifters can take. I'd like to avoid solid lifters if I can.

Philly D wrote:So your saying nobody that has ever got a tune doesnt have codes lol..

That's why HPT has a nifty little feature to turn off codes. I'd be showing all sorts of codes, lol...low cat efficiency, high idle, etc.

Friday, November 25, 2011 7:30 AM
Yup, I leave my misfire code turned on so I know when its time to change plugs. but its easy enough to turn it off.

Friday, November 25, 2011 2:45 PM
Yah...our e-test to my knowledge tests for blocked out codes.

Alwell hopefully ill be moved soon enough to a area that doesnt require testing and then I can drive around with a ton of codes. blocked off.

So I guess now it comes down to we need someone to test out the stage 2 and 3 theory....say with a TVS..
Friday, November 25, 2011 2:50 PM
The only way they can test for blocked out codes is to look at it with the scanner and have it pass. Then pull the battery cable off, re-connect it, then if any codes show passed after that they know its blocked out.

Thursday, December 01, 2011 7:02 PM
Philly D wrote:So your saying nobody that has ever got a tune doesnt have codes lol...

I have a couple friends locally that have tunes with cams and both have codes from them. Random misfire I believe it is.

Mind you both of them are tri-flows from LZM

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA

That's because nobody here in AZ knows how to tune J's......... with the exception of myself. My car has so many mods its ridiculous and not a single code is thrown nor do I have any blocked out.

ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician

Thursday, December 01, 2011 7:13 PM
well according to another member on there, the lsj cams will bolt right in and run just fine....

Thursday, December 01, 2011 8:40 PM
Well they should, but you wont have power steering and you have to cut off the nub for the cam sensor.

Thursday, December 01, 2011 9:48 PM
Philly,

For some reason I was thinking you were out here in AZ but I got you confused with someone else, sorry bout that. My previous comment pretty much makes no sense in that case haha however, there is still no reason you wouldn't be able to pass emissions in most instances so long as your tune is legit. Is there a reason you don't just want to use a set of off the shelf cams? Sure would save you a lot of hassle and you would get to keep your P/S. Either that or a set of customs and just as others have said, contacting the cam manufactures would be your best bet for a set of customs that way you don't have to worry about all the technical aspects of cams.

ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician

Thursday, December 01, 2011 11:14 PM
Philly D wrote:
That being said from my reading on CSS the comp cams blower cams all be it a upgrade is not that great since they are not actually made for blowers but just off the shelf cams pieced together.

From what I've read the zzp cams are the only real upgrade that's made for blowers. Something to do with the proper lift and degreeing.

Man, I need to get rid of these cams and get ZZP regrinds... wooooooo.

13.3 @ 106 mph Cammed
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search