Supercharger surging.... - Page 2 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Supercharger surging....
Friday, December 30, 2011 4:07 PM
Cathode's not a joke its what the electrode technically is, as it is an electron emitter. Or did I flip it again, I always mix up the engineering and physics definition of current flow direction.

I completely understand that there is the correct plug for the application, I just dont see many plugs offered that would even work besides a standard copper, platinum, and iridium. I'm not sure there are any of the more fancy plugs available that will properly fit the engine.

As for a plug that breaks the bank, I'd go by mile per dollar. Right now I'm at 8 dollars per 10,000 miles or 0.0008 dollars per mile. If I had a plug that could go 20,000 miles I'd be willing to spend 16 dollars per plug, and so on. If it was more inconvenient to change the plugs I'd be willing to pay more to have to change them less often, right now its pretty easy and fast to change plugs.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer

Friday, December 30, 2011 6:09 PM
A cathode does not reffer to the firing electrode or ground electrode. You went to school for engineering didn't you? lol You would really call a ground electrode a cathode or better yet a electron emitter? If you would then you are an engineer and I understand. I deal with engineers all day, they call for 1 thing and that is to confirm that they are right.

Protons and electrons are easy to understand when it come to ignition or physics really.

Because opposites attract, the positively charged protons are attracted to the negatively charged side of the spark plug. Since the mass of a proton is larger than that of a negatively charged electron, more wear will occur at whichever side of the spark plug is negatively charged.

Not sure about the milage reasoning that you have come up with, all I have to say is that hopefully you never do quarter mile top fuel, as they do not get any bang for their buck huh? 75 dollar a peice plugs and they are gone after 1 race huh? What a rip off.... lol

Friday, December 30, 2011 6:30 PM
No I'm saying the central electrode is the cathode, the ground strap is the anode. Of course we are wasted spark so those rolls reveres when the cylinder is sparked on its non-compression stroke.

My mileage reasoning comes because the car is daily driven. Now if the car changed or the use of the car changed the definition of a plug that was too expensive would change. I think a 75 dollar spark plug is just a drop in the bank for a race team which must also rebuild the engine after every run down the track. To make matters worse for that top fuel dragster, the plug only lasts half-3/4 of a drag run as for the rest of the run the plug is fused and the engine is dieseling.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Friday, December 30, 2011 6:42 PM
Well for you Jason I just used a feeler gauge and made sure the gaps were all the same. I left them at the stock gap as what they came at. I cant recall but I think it was about .0040"
Friday, December 30, 2011 6:44 PM
Also ill add that ill be replacing these every spring now that I own the car. Those ones in the pic were in there for limited miles but about 5 years.

I do not have any intercooling or anything other then the stock supercharger kit. Im intercooling it shortly.
Friday, December 30, 2011 6:44 PM
ok philly D sounds good.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search