L61 Supercharged PCV - Page 2 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: L61 Supercharged PCV
Saturday, October 12, 2013 9:22 AM
So here is the final version of my idea.

Parts are on order and this will be done soon..

I know that this has been gone over a million times, but I haven't been on for a while and wanted to run it by you guys anyways.

I will have a open system. My plans are to run the stock (exhaust side of valve cover on my LSJ cover) side to a catch can, and to run an adaptor with another line to the same catch can. Can will be vented, and then run a line to my intake POST TB.

What do you guys think? Do you think post TB will be too much vaccum?




Re: L61 Supercharged PCV
Saturday, October 12, 2013 2:02 PM
Your fine with everything except the vented can, and I would be leary about POST tb.

We need to run a closed system.

But your also going way overboard with this.

-10an from valve cover to baffled catch can (recommend Saikou Michi) then -10an to intake pre tb.

Done. That is proven to be more then enough for more power then we will make with a supercharger.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, October 12, 2013 2:03 PM
Re: L61 Supercharged PCV
Saturday, October 12, 2013 3:05 PM
Philly D wrote:

Your fine with everything except the vented can, and I would be leary about POST tb.

We need to run a closed system.

But your also going way overboard with this.

-10an from valve cover to baffled catch can (recommend Saikou Michi) then -10an to intake pre tb.

Done. That is proven to be more then enough for more power then we will make with a supercharger.

This. I can tell you first hand that it needs to be a closed system. I was burning oil like crazy being open to atmosphere. After I ran it to a pre-tb nipple on the intake I haven't lost a single drop in 5,000 miles.



"In Oldskool we trust"
Re: L61 Supercharged PCV
Monday, October 14, 2013 6:59 AM
Y3llowCav wrote:

Philly D wrote:

Your fine with everything except the vented can, and I would be leary about POST tb.

We need to run a closed system.

But your also going way overboard with this.

-10an from valve cover to baffled catch can (recommend Saikou Michi) then -10an to intake pre tb.

Done. That is proven to be more then enough for more power then we will make with a supercharger.

This. I can tell you first hand that it needs to be a closed system. I was burning oil like crazy being open to atmosphere. After I ran it to a pre-tb nipple on the intake I haven't lost a single drop in 5,000 miles.


before i vented the system, i had an issue with popping rear main seals....do you think that adding the extra line intake side will be enough to keep that from happening? i'd rather not experiment and pop another seal.



Re: L61 Supercharged PCV
Monday, October 14, 2013 7:12 AM
You dont really need it off the oil cap is what im saying.

If your blowing seals id look into checking your intake manifold check valve. They are known to go bad thus boosting the crank case.

You can either change it or block the port in the head for the pcv.

All you need for a good pcv system is like I said before. -10 an from valve cover to catch can, -10an from catch can to intake.

Gm does something similar even on their race cars and dont start changing it to the very high hp numbers.

Id bet your one way valve is stuck.
Re: L61 Supercharged PCV
Monday, October 14, 2013 7:27 AM
Philly D wrote:

You dont really need it off the oil cap is what im saying.

If your blowing seals id look into checking your intake manifold check valve. They are known to go bad thus boosting the crank case.

You can either change it or block the port in the head for the pcv.

All you need for a good pcv system is like I said before. -10 an from valve cover to catch can, -10an from catch can to intake.

Gm does something similar even on their race cars and dont start changing it to the very high hp numbers.

Id bet your one way valve is stuck.


checked the valve when this was all happening and its fine....i think i have bigger issues (valve seals, piston seals), and i need/want to rebuild, but i need to "bandaid" until then. So I think the double line vented system is what I need for now.



Re: L61 Supercharged PCV
Monday, October 14, 2013 8:19 AM
In all seriousness, let us know how it goes if you try it. My only advice is to check your oil frequently.



"In Oldskool we trust"
Re: L61 Supercharged PCV
Monday, October 14, 2013 8:23 AM
The car is not longer on DD duty, so it will be checked each time i drive it probably....weekly or bi weekly. But why is vented bad? I have heard both ways.



Re: L61 Supercharged PCV
Monday, October 14, 2013 8:28 AM
Like I said when my pcv wasn't hooked up to vacuum the motor burnt oil like crazy. Like, keeping a fresh quart in the back seat all the time bad. Literally the day I ran it to the intake pre-tb I never lost an ounce again. It has been thousands of miles since then with lots of track runs and dyno pulls in between; not missing one ounce.



"In Oldskool we trust"
Re: L61 Supercharged PCV
Monday, October 14, 2013 8:35 AM
oh i got ya...well it would still be pulling a vaccum. just introducing fresh air to it.

I have a breather filter on the oil cap right now, and it blows oil and soaks the filter about once a month. but im not popping seals. I think adding a line to this, run to a catch can (with a vent and baffles) and then to the intake from the catch can would keep air moving, leave a spot for air to enter and exit, and still create enough of a vaccum to EVAC the head



Re: L61 Supercharged PCV
Thursday, October 31, 2013 8:28 AM
Sorry for joining this party late, but my m62 eco has been vented for over 2 years, with zero issues.

Just thought i'd chime in.

Re: L61 Supercharged PCV
Thursday, October 31, 2013 9:00 AM
It wont cause "issues"

But with a properly done setup it will run smoother, have more power, less stress on motor etc.

Also with higher boost levels it becomes more important.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

 

Start New Topic Advanced Search