2 SC Ecotec problems - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2 SC Ecotec problems
Wednesday, August 18, 2010 9:42 AM
Ok I've been driving my 02 ls sport with the supercharger on it since monday night, I've run into two issues so far.

1. That damn heater hose, I've got some weird assortment of elbows that pulls it to the other side of the ac line and up around in a loop, it clears the belt between the ac compressor and the sc but just now the tensioner pulley cut through the nylon elbow I was using near it. Its obviously not touching with the engine is just sitting there, but the engine must move enough to hit it when I'm driving. Some pictures of working solutions would be great.

2. My air filter and battery are trying to occupy the same space at the same time. I'm running the smallest air filter I could find directly off the throttle body and its still hitting the negative terminal on the battery, I can get the filter to stay on when the car's not moving but obviously the second the engine moves it pops the filter partially off the TB. Its actually wedged against the negative terminal when I actually get it on the TB and thats an issue in its self. Moving the battery to the trunk is kind of a last ditch option I have and I'd like to try and avoid doing that if at all possible. The other issue here is that I cannot run an intake over to the stock filter location because my intercooler reservoir is there now. I have about 3.5 inches between where the back of the filter coupling can be and the negative battery terminal.

I'll get pictures up as soon as I can find my camera.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer

Re: 2 SC Ecotec problems
Wednesday, August 18, 2010 10:00 AM
Im not picturing the problem with the heater hose, but for the 2 problem just copy my set-up(the dirt is optional). Brailile B2015 No-weight battery in stock air box location, mustang cobra h/e tank over top the tranny, and good sized K&N in the original battery location.

Boost > N/A

180hp in 1989 or 260hp in 2008, you decide. Quad < Ecotec

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 10:00 AM
Yea pictures would help, But i understand completely. I had the same issue,

Your either one going to have to get a new battery a smaller one like Kyle(Tinkles) Or move it to the trunk.

When i installed my eco with charger i didn't hook up the a/C so im sure about the clearance.

Mods: Synapse Charge Piping, Short Throw, Bad-Mab Dp, Dejon Intake, BYT Tuned!
Parts For SALE! Pacesetter Header(ECO),17'in Resonator, Alternator, Starter, Viper Alarm.
Wednesday, August 18, 2010 10:24 AM
kb, thats the exact filter I'm using, were you having issues with that one, or is that battery smaller than stock? I'm still looking for the camera, my mom has my good one, I may have to resort to the old 2 mp cell phone camera.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 11:37 AM
No i had the battery almost tilted to fit it kinda bumped the fliter still....

this is my setup now. I couldn't take it

Parts For SALE! Pacesetter Header(ECO),17'in Resonator, Alternator, Starter, Viper Alarm.
Wednesday, August 18, 2010 12:19 PM
Ok, here are some pictures, yes they are from my cell phone, yes I will get pictures with a real camera as soon as I can.

And I do have a 3rd issue, the connector that came with my kit for my bosch h/e pump is not the right one and doesnt fit in very well, so it constantly looses connection and my iat's go over 160* F. I've been looking for the connector by itself for slightly over an hour.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 12:26 PM
Why is your overflow tank lines such a cluster@!#$? All i had to do was trim my stock line a bit and zip-tie it out of the way.

Boost > N/A

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 12:34 PM
Dude what is that with all the elbows? The Heat exchanger hoses? There is plenty of room underneath to run the hoses you may just need a 90 degree elbow for the inlet on the intake manifold plate. Yea its not much you can do about the battery....Two week later mines was moved to the trunk.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 12:38 PM
That crazy mess of elbows is not the h/e hose, its the heater hose that goes to the metal line that runs in front of the intake manifold. Any suggestions on kits or collections of parts for the battery relocation, I know I need an external switch if I move it back there to be legal at my local drag strip.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 12:42 PM
Summit sells full kits, i just brought a battery box and a AMP kit...And wired the beast

And i have no idea what hose your talking about in front of the intake manifold? thats that thick and runs way over there...may the lower reservoir hose? where the lower rad hose splits, is that what your talking about?

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 12:45 PM
its the one that the GM install instructions says to cut an inch off the end and zip tie away from the belt, it goes into the bottom of the coolant reservoir.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 12:52 PM
ok yea i thought were talking about that

If you get a pretty decent lengh of heater hose it can go underneath of everything. use the lower radiator brace as a guide.

it won't be in the way of anything

so straight down from the resevior toward the radiator. all the across and back up.... pretty simple

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:20 PM
I just went out and looked, the a/c line is in the way of doing that.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:30 PM
Leafy wrote:its the one that the GM install instructions says to cut an inch off the end and zip tie away from the belt, it goes into the bottom of the coolant reservoir.

That's all i had to do.

Boost > N/A

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:32 PM
Well i a whole swap hence why mines is the way it is. you can't go under the a/c line?

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:34 PM
((Super))KbRedCavy wrote:Well i a whole swap hence why mines is the way it is. you can't go under the a/c line?

Nope, theres another a/c line in the way there and it would make the hose kink. I think I just need to put a new elbow in and use more zip ties to pull it out of the way more.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 5:31 PM
I can't really even begin to comprehend whatever mess you have going there. There should be no need for any of that. The AC lines are bendable to a point so you may just need to tweek them slightly for clearance. Just get rid of that rats nest of hoses... As for the Intake. Its very inexpensive to just make a cold air even out of local auto parts store stuff. You can look at my profile to see how I had mine setup on my Red Cav

ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 6:11 PM
I had my hose lines cut once by the belt...had to zip tie the hell out of them to keep them out of the way. Your battery looks bigger then the stock one. Just get one of the gay little honda batteries and stick it in there. I had to stick my battery in the trunk but by intake is also 4" lol

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 6:54 PM
Jbdy04 wrote:I had my hose lines cut once by the belt...had to zip tie the hell out of them to keep them out of the way. Your battery looks bigger then the stock one. Just get one of the gay little honda batteries and stick it in there. I had to stick my battery in the trunk but by intake is also 4" lol

Exactly how I had mine.

If you look in my picture there is a zip tie every inch running all the way down it (zip the overflow line to the AC line). I never had a rubbing issue but I knew it would at some point so I was just proactive about it. Never had an issue.

ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 7:02 PM
x99999 on the zip tie. Makes everything right.

Intake problems....call K&N tell them you're elbow tore. They should send you a new one. That's what I did lol

M62, 42's, ZZP 3", ZZP S3 H/E
214whp 190wtq
Wednesday, August 18, 2010 7:31 PM
The issue with an elbow is that I really have no where to put the filter after that, the h/e pump and lines a below, and the h/e reservoir blocking the stock spot and an in fender cai. My dad's going to go into work tomorrow and see if he can find a battery that'll fit, his work stocks practically any stock car battery so he should be able find something.

I think we've got the coolant lines fixed, tons of zip ties and a slightly revised cluster @!#$.

Saturday, August 21, 2010 10:02 AM
Well the top terminal battery doesnt fit in the stock tray and it wouldnt help anyways. I already ordered everything I need to get the battery into the truck.

Sunday, August 22, 2010 8:18 AM
Is anyone else doing this swap and just needing the supercharger? I have one from my old setup less the bypass valve.....

12.770 @ 111.99 Intercooled Eaton M62

Sunday, August 22, 2010 8:20 AM
Ignore the above, I had several windows open and posted in the wrong thread

12.770 @ 111.99 Intercooled Eaton M62

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:10 AM
Just to conclude this, here is how my air intake system is now, in its final state.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search