4T40E upgrade for all interested - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
4T40E upgrade for all interested
Wednesday, May 25, 2005 9:58 AM
just thought id post up this place for all looking for a higher stall convertor for the 4T40E
this place was reccomended by NJ's Honda KIller in another post but anyways there contact site is 3000 stall converter
they have one for $375 + a $175 refundable core so im sure if you sent them a good junk yard core and $375 youd be good

04 sunfire auto, mid 15's n/a, and still going

Re: 4T40E upgrade for all interested
Wednesday, May 25, 2005 10:35 AM
Is 3000 stall good? This might be a newb question but what is the advantage/disadvantage of a higher stall. And what is the stock stall? Does the torque converter also change the gearing ratio?
Wednesday, May 25, 2005 10:46 AM
basically with a 3000 stall converter you would be able to hold the brake and rev the engine to 3000 rpm. which would be launching at 3000 rpms. the stock i believe is 2500.
having a 3000 stall would greatly benefit if you had alot of top end mods becuase you would be launching closer to where your powerband starts going strong. bad thing you probably will lose a little gas milage and when you come to a stop light it may reve just a little before the vehicle starts to move but nothing to dramatic as its only 500 rpms higher stall. and it doesnt effect the gear ratio any

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 10:50 AM
That would be good, because all of my power is above 3000. Does this converter put power to the wheels more efficiently too?
Wednesday, May 25, 2005 11:29 AM
very good chance it does
i emailed them asking the hp they are rated to so ill keep ya updated

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 11:33 AM
lol, i did too
Wednesday, May 25, 2005 9:39 PM
Wednesday, May 25, 2005 9:51 PM
Red is the color of the infamous Yank Converters. They are a top notch brand that is used in LPE twin turbo corvettes and even desert race trucks.

It is the same TC I use in my Cavalier and it does help performance out alot. I switched to better tires eventually but 3000 is do-able.

I'll try and find some pictures of my install and post them.

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 11:00 PM
i just noticed that one to
also Davide--- how is your drivability on a normal basis with the higher stall

Thursday, May 26, 2005 12:25 AM
Besides brake launching, torque converters are just generally good for helping to transfer more power to the wheels and gaining back the power that your currently losing cause of your stock one. 3000 stall sounds about good but make sure you call and tell them YOUR specs in case you are heavier modified and they might suggest something higher in stall speed.

Good luck to you guys who order one...I just don't have the funds to do it right now, that's why I don't have one yet. I was doing all show stuff and the TC got lost in priorities.

Good luck everyone

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Thursday, May 26, 2005 5:08 AM
please do post your install pics.
also how was taking out the subframe? and about how long did it take to swap converters?
thanks

Thursday, May 26, 2005 5:56 AM
04eco (roy) wrote:please do post your install pics.
also how was taking out the subframe? and about how long did it take to swap converters?
thanks

Well this won't be anytime soon. Maybe months from now. Next thing I'm going for is a hood & GM Charger when it finally comes out so torque converter will probably be after that. It will be a while so you might be me to the punch.

Thursday, May 26, 2005 9:01 AM
im sorry i was trying to direct that towards the Davide guy ahhaha

adn he specrite converter (for $375) they said it can handle 600hp without nitrous

Thursday, May 26, 2005 12:48 PM
Yeah, i got the same message, but what does it mean without nitrous? If was to use a small shot, i would still be below 600hp, so do i have nothing to worry about?

I might call them next week to order it. And i will tell them my mods and my future mods to see if they think i will need a higher stall.
Thursday, May 26, 2005 6:19 PM
make sure to keep an eye on your tranmission temps.... higher stalls usually mean higher pressures.... and higher pressures, mean more heat....

more heat makes it easier to kill and auto transmission....

Thursday, May 26, 2005 6:32 PM
So should i look into a transmission cooler?
Thursday, May 26, 2005 7:15 PM
You already have one... Just upgrade it.

Thursday, May 26, 2005 7:31 PM
no ....you should look into a guage to see what the temp is....

why add a cooler when you wont really need one....

or you can add one and it still wont be enough cause it may be too small....

guage first then decide.

upgrading the stock cooler, which is with the radiator, would mean upgrading the radiator as well....

an extenal cooler costs, around 40-50$... a bigger radiators is usually double to 5 times that amount....

i got away with 6 times that amount in a griffin radiator though, so i lucked out

Thursday, May 26, 2005 8:09 PM
sorry to post jack roy..
does any one know where to get a higher stall convertor for the 3 spd tranny (3t40?)

Thursday, May 26, 2005 9:12 PM
Yes, Grand Masta Flash aka Event is correct, get a gauge and find out what temperature your running before you add an cooler.

Thursday, May 26, 2005 9:15 PM
Volumeking333 wrote:sorry to post jack roy..
does any one know where to get a higher stall convertor for the 3 spd tranny (3t40?)

custom....

i have a spare stall converter if you need one to send out to a transmission shop.

Thursday, May 26, 2005 9:57 PM
no prob volumeking your a MNJ also so ill let it slide this time hahaha
and it was torque converter related so im not going to complain any

Thursday, May 26, 2005 11:00 PM
also i purchased one of those converters from ebay and they are Yanks converters i should have it in the mail by Jun 1st and hopefully installed shortly after ill let you know how it goes and probably take some pics to

Friday, May 27, 2005 10:44 AM
I found my pics from the bushing install. Trying to find the ones from the torque converter for you guys. I think they are on the computer with the bad motherboard. (lighting damage) HAHA. I'll see if I can get those today.

Friday, May 27, 2005 10:46 AM
^^^^^ it would be much appreciated
thanks

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search