Spec stage 2 clutch issues (maybe)?? - Page 2 - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Spec stage 2 clutch issues (maybe)??
Tuesday, February 27, 2007 10:20 PM
TOB ???

2004 Cavalier coupe, 5 speed, White
GO
Hahn Stage 2, Eagle rods, Wiseco 8.9, SS Valves, Dual valve springs, valve job, Ti seats and retainers
spec stage 3, Fidanza 7.5lb flywheel, Short Shifter
Slotted and dimpled rotors, EBC green stuff
SHOW
VIS EVO CF hood, KOBE KAM 5 17", Nexxen N3000, Ebay Black tails and filler, 5% tint
Gold line springs, Tokiko D-spec struts
ELECTRONICS
Kenwood in-dash DVD and Navigation, single Kicker CompVR
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2974835

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 5:07 PM
all i did to mine was pump the @!#$ out of the peddle... works ok

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 5:54 PM
Taetsch Z24 wrote:all i did to mine was pump the @!#$ out of the peddle... works ok

Chris

Did you pump it 2-3 times and hold it and then open the bleeder, close it and then pump again?

FU Tuning

Thursday, March 01, 2007 8:51 AM
Spec clutches are no good for the h282 transmission either. They don't fully engage and disengage. Pedal feel and engagement point is rediculous. And they don't hold any good amount of torque. I will never buy from spec again as there clutches are junk (at least for my car).
Thursday, March 01, 2007 10:21 AM
I can still drive mine, I just have to rev the engine to get the trans to shift, sometimes it shifts smooth and goes into gear, othertimes i have to tap the gas and then it will go into gear. Im not even sure if this is a clutch related problem, mabey its the trans itself being junk. I can shift thru all of the gears and rev, with one finger when the car is turned off. but when i start the car and drive it, I have like 2-3 easy shifts before I have to actually muscle it into gear. the part i dont understand is how my shifting symptoms arn't consistent. its like every time i push in the clutch pedal, somethime different happens. i dont even feel pressure in the pedal until like 2 inches from the floor.

Thursday, March 01, 2007 10:28 AM
^^^Well that kinda sounds like a syncro problem....tranny might be fubard..
Thursday, March 01, 2007 11:13 AM
Philly D wrote:^^^Well that kinda sounds like a syncro problem....tranny might be fubard..

yeah...well i did mate a 2.2 internals from a trans that was craked(FED-EX dropped on ground) to a 2.4 bellhousing. Could be the problem. Im just tring to isolate if this is a trans problem or a Clutch release problem.

OH yeah called the dealer about the master cylinder posted earlier in this thread ..Master cylinder #24233060 = $128.03+tax

Thursday, March 01, 2007 4:10 PM
NO, I just pumped the peddle like no other when i was in it, i did the same thing to my GTZ (ext slave 92 ) with a LUK clutch.

But all things considered, I’m not that happy with spec....

Hell my stock one went 120K with me driving just fine.......

And LUK is the OEM manufacture.... neat right?

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Thursday, March 01, 2007 5:16 PM
Taetsch Z24 wrote:NO, I just pumped the peddle like no other when i was in it, i did the same thing to my GTZ (ext slave 92 ) with a LUK clutch.

Chris

I do not understand. Did you open the bleeder valve and then pump the clutch?

FU Tuning

Friday, March 02, 2007 11:50 PM
I have a spec stage 2 with a resurfaced OEM flywheel and have none of the problems you are experiencing. Pedal feel is great, disengagement and engagement are complete. I can sit on level ground in gear with the clutch in and rev all day, car won't move a hair. I'd think you guys have air in the lines. That would cause incomplete disengagement and mushy pedal feel. If you know you've got this problem, you're better off shifting to neutral at stop lights until it's fixed. For those of you with aftermarket flywheels, the friction surface could be too shallow.

2002 Cavalier 2200 5spd

Saturday, March 03, 2007 4:28 AM
Solid Snake wrote:I have a spec stage 2 with a resurfaced OEM flywheel and have none of the problems you are experiencing. Pedal feel is great, disengagement and engagement are complete. I can sit on level ground in gear with the clutch in and rev all day, car won't move a hair. I'd think you guys have air in the lines. That would cause incomplete disengagement and mushy pedal feel. If you know you've got this problem, you're better off shifting to neutral at stop lights until it's fixed. For those of you with aftermarket flywheels, the friction surface could be too shallow.

Could be, but I just fo not think so. My car was perfect for 2000-3000 miles. Felt just as yours does. It changed. I will be pulling the tranny and inspecting everything. Just will be a few weeks, maybe a month or so. I have other peoples cars I have to work on right now.

FU Tuning

Saturday, March 03, 2007 6:43 AM
John Higgins wrote:
Taetsch Z24 wrote:NO, I just pumped the peddle like no other when i was in it, i did the same thing to my GTZ (ext slave 92 ) with a LUK clutch.

Chris

I do not understand. Did you open the bleeder valve and then pump the clutch?

NOPE

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Saturday, March 03, 2007 3:54 PM
simply pump the clutch and then crack the bleeder vavle..same as brakes..I know ive done a few clutches and they are a pita to get the air out..phil
Sunday, March 04, 2007 6:51 PM
I despise SPEC as well. I put my stocker through LOT'S of abuse, and it held up fine. I went with a SPEC Stage 2 clutch, and I am having the same issues as everyone else. The first SPEC clutch I had, the rivets in the clutch disc came loose, and made engagement horrible. Now I'm on my 2nd SPEC, and it likes to slip, and not fully disengage. I put in a new clutch master cylinder, a new TOB, as well as resurfaced my flywheel. Didn't help one bit. IMO, SPEC is a piece of $#*%

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Monday, March 05, 2007 4:22 AM
ok.. so this weekend i did some messing around with things to find out this problem. I put the front of the car up on stands with the wheels dangling so i could put the car in gear and watch the tires spin. so i started the car and put it in gear. when i pushed in the clutch the trans shifted alright like it normally does for the first few shifts. the clutch was disengaging alright no spinning tires. but as usual after a few minutes of have the car started and shifting the shifts became hard to get in gear, and sure enough with the clutch pedal pushed to the floor and me tring to shift,i popped my head out the window to see the tires they were spinning. so My problem is a clutch not releasing problem. im going to bleed the piss out of it tonight, but somehow i dont think that is the problem, next would be a new master cylinder......

Monday, March 05, 2007 7:16 AM
the part i cant figure out is..... I can drive on it like this. When driving i can press the clutch pedal in and it will disengage the trans from the engine... I can free rev. With the clutch engaged the car WILL coast to a stop, but shifting is a bitch. So the clutch is disengeing but not enough. Somehow there is still pressure being transfered. Its crazy....

Monday, March 05, 2007 2:26 PM
I have two spec clutches and i'm really not impressed with either of them. One of them is a stage3 w/aluminum flywheel on an eco and its slipping BAD after no more that 6k. and i have a stage 2 w/ stock flywheel on a 02 2200 that has never acted right. really i am not impressed with their product support either. waiting for hann to release thier multi-plate*pleeeaaassseeeeee*****!!!
Thursday, March 08, 2007 9:33 AM
So i just got off the phone with spec. I origally thought that i had a bad Flywheel or Clutch but, This is defiantly a hydraulic problem. He said to replace the master cylinder and pressure bleed the crap out of the system, and if it still dosnt work then replace the slave. It was kinda funny because I never really said anything about me thinking that thier slaves cylinders are crap. Out of nowhere he just went on telling me all about how the slave they sell with thier kit is the exactly the same as a GM Dealer bought part. "But" he strongly reccomends me going and buying another slave and seeing if that clears up the issue. He also said that if the slave is the problem he can reimburse me for the @!#$y SPEC one.

Thursday, March 08, 2007 9:35 AM
PS...

Slave sylinder 22602575 = $296.54+tax

Thursday, March 08, 2007 12:00 PM
The slave/TOB Spec sells is not like the GM one, it is a GM one. There is no other slave for a getrag other than GM.

FU Tuning

Thursday, March 08, 2007 4:31 PM
correct....

ONE MORE TIME

"So i just got off the phone with spec. I origally thought that i had a bad Flywheel or Clutch but, This is defiantly a hydraulic problem. He said to replace the master cylinder and pressure bleed the crap out of the system, and if it still dosnt work then replace the slave. It was kinda funny because I never really said anything about me thinking that thier slaves cylinders are crap. Out of nowhere he just went on telling me all about how the slave they sell with thier kit is the exactly the same as a GM Dealer bought part. "But" he strongly reccomends me going and buying another slave and seeing if that clears up the issue. He also said that if the slave is the problem he can reimburse me for the @!#$y SPEC one."

GM has a proble with STOCK CARS doing this, so no @!#$ a spec one would do it too!

the GM tec bulliten says to replace both slave and master.

PN's

MASTER 24233064
SLAVE 22602575

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Thursday, March 08, 2007 5:48 PM
i wonder if ACT makes a clutch for the getrag tranny, they told me they were.? I got a ACT clutch in my 96 z and 40k miles later it is still holding strong and not one issue.

good luck getting it working right.

Thursday, March 08, 2007 5:52 PM
tecnaly a 90-94 2.3 clutch and flywheel will work on a 2000 up 2.4, cars like your had that weard steped flywheel, i think dogans is like that and i know toms is.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Thursday, March 08, 2007 6:28 PM
Jake wrote:i wonder if ACT makes a clutch for the getrag tranny, they told me they were.? I got a ACT clutch in my 96 z and 40k miles later it is still holding strong and not one issue.

good luck getting it working right.

That does not fix our current issues. I love my Spec clutch. It is awesome!! My problem is in the pressure system somewhere.

FU Tuning

Thursday, March 08, 2007 9:10 PM
have you compared a stock PP to the spec one?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search