Spec stage 2 clutch issues (maybe)?? - Page 4 - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Spec stage 2 clutch issues (maybe)??
Thursday, March 22, 2007 3:24 PM
DOES IT HAVE STEEL LINES??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????????

BLANK

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Sunday, April 01, 2007 3:07 PM
Ok update. My car is fixed. First I bought a brand new clutch master cylinder (the new design), and man did they chance it. That did not fix it. I got under the car and looked at the bolts on the pressure plate (from the opening on the bottem on the tranny). This was my friends idea. Some of them had gaps, but the bolts were not loose. Today we decided to unbolt the tranny and pull it back to allow access to the pressure plate (We did not drop the tranny). There was more gaps than Monday (and the car was only driven today to my friends house). Bolts were very loose. What we did was take out the bolts that came with my clutch kit 9one at a time) and put the stock ones back in (with lock tite). We did not lock tite them when the clutch was installed because they were not lock tited from the factory. This is a leeson learned. now the clutch is prefect again!!!!!! I'm soo happy, but this could have cause major damage if it went much longer. I would recommend checking this out for anyone having this issue with a aftermarket clutch or newly installed clutch.

FU Tuning

Sunday, April 01, 2007 3:42 PM
John you forgot. When i installed my Clutch i got brand new bolts that looked like they had lock tite on it. I think we put a little more on as well. Glad you found out the problem.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Sunday, April 01, 2007 3:46 PM
Mylife75 (ajose) wrote:John you forgot. When i installed my Clutch i got brand new bolts that looked like they had lock tite on it. I think we put a little more on as well. Glad you found out the problem.

That was flywheel bolts you got new. I'm talking pressure plate to flywheel bolts. They come with the clutch kit.

FU Tuning

Sunday, April 01, 2007 4:01 PM
i thought we put in on all those bolts as well because i remember using a whole tube of lock tite. Never the less at least you got it figured out. Glad to see the car is back running again.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Monday, April 02, 2007 5:08 PM
OE had lock tite on, atlest my Z24 did.... i will look in to this.....

did you see what i ment about the new master?

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Monday, April 02, 2007 7:55 PM
Taetsch Z24 wrote:OE had lock tite on, atlest my Z24 did.... i will look in to this.....

did you see what i ment about the new master?

Chris

Yes I saw what you meant about the nbew design. I can say for sure the factory bolts for the pressure plate DID NOT have lock tite on them (but they do now). Drove it today!! Man it feels good to be able to play again.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, April 03, 2007 2:45 AM
Gee I think SPEC is owed a HUGE apology for all of the bashing folkshere were doing when the problem is a GM design flaw and some bolts backing out. I always use a dab of red locktite on flywheel bolts and a complete coat of blue locktite on pressure plate bolts otherwise the rpms & vibrations will make them come loose.

2000 Z24 5spd header & catback for now.
Tuesday, April 03, 2007 4:41 AM
Dale Young wrote:Gee I think SPEC is owed a HUGE apology for all of the bashing folkshere were doing when the problem is a GM design flaw and some bolts backing out. I always use a dab of red locktite on flywheel bolts and a complete coat of blue locktite on pressure plate bolts otherwise the rpms & vibrations will make them come loose.

I never directly blamed Spec. Infact they have gotten back with me in email about my issues and offered to help me get a TOB at cost if that was my problem. This was a lesson learned for me. I have never used lock tite on the pressure plate bolts in the past, but this time they got Red lock tite. I have also seen very good customer service from them through other people. They replaced a friends clutch disc at no cost (and truly was not a Spec issue).

FU Tuning

Tuesday, April 03, 2007 12:52 PM
I wanted to add something I noticed about the spec kit for the LD9 and the Spec kit for the Ecotec. From the factory they both use the same style bolts on the pressure plate to flywheel. My Spec kit came with allen head bolts for the pressure plate with lock washers. We have a Ecotec kit that has the same kind as factory without lock washers. This is why I used the factory bolts when I found the issue. I'm in no way saying my issue is related to these bolts, but thought it was interesting.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, April 03, 2007 1:02 PM
hmm... I may have to contact Jeremy to make see if there is supposed to be a difference in the bolts.

And yes, Spec has great Customer Service (IMO). I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone, even my mom....

(... how awesome would that be... if my mom drag raced. hmmm..... Time to hide her knitting needles )

Tuesday, April 03, 2007 2:29 PM
Could loose flywheel and pressure plate/clutch bolts cause the whole trans to be bad?

I am in the middle of trying to get my trans rebuilt after a little less then a year with a SPEC stage 2 and SPEC flywheel. I was never very happy with the clutch, never seemed very "solid".

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Tuesday, April 03, 2007 5:29 PM
my clutch dident come with any bolts

I WANT MY MONEY BACK!

lol

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Tuesday, April 03, 2007 5:38 PM
John I wasn't specifically referring to you but many others who responded to your post were bad mouthing SPEC and that's who I was speaking of.

2000 Z24 5spd header & catback for now.
Tuesday, April 03, 2007 5:59 PM
Dale Young wrote:John I wasn't specifically referring to you but many others who responded to your post were bad mouthing SPEC and that's who I was speaking of.

Well I still am having issues with my SPEC clutch. First it was a bad clutch disc, which they reluctantly replaced. Now the disc is fine, but turns out it is a bad pressure plate, which ruined the first clutch disc. Now it's out of warranty... I have also personally talked to two other people who have had similar problems with SPEC. I for one would never buy their product again. Just because one person figured out their problem, and turned out it wasn't SPEC's fault, doesn't mean that all of the other issues peple are having should now be disregarded. I'm glad he figured it out, and it wasn't SPEC's fault. However, many of us on JBO have had problems with them.

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Wednesday, April 04, 2007 4:02 AM
Luke Heier wrote:
Dale Young wrote:John I wasn't specifically referring to you but many others who responded to your post were bad mouthing SPEC and that's who I was speaking of.

Well I still am having issues with my SPEC clutch. First it was a bad clutch disc, which they reluctantly replaced. Now the disc is fine, but turns out it is a bad pressure plate, which ruined the first clutch disc. Now it's out of warranty... I have also personally talked to two other people who have had similar problems with SPEC. I for one would never buy their product again. Just because one person figured out their problem, and turned out it wasn't SPEC's fault, doesn't mean that all of the other issues peple are having should now be disregarded. I'm glad he figured it out, and it wasn't SPEC's fault. However, many of us on JBO have had problems with them.

Luke is correct. We can't say Spec is perfect because my issue is resolved. At the same time we can't say they are not prefect because we do not know everyone elses exact problem. When I first made this post I thought there was a chance the stock TOB could not handle the Spec pressure plate, and was killing the TOB's. At this point I no longer think this.

Quote:

Could loose flywheel and pressure plate/clutch bolts cause the whole trans to be bad?

I am in the middle of trying to get my trans rebuilt after a little less then a year with a SPEC stage 2 and SPEC flywheel. I was never very happy with the clutch, never seemed very "solid".

We need more info on your tranny parts needing replaced. Honestly I doubt it.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, April 04, 2007 4:28 PM
im still extreamly happy with LUK clutches, my 94 Z, my TSi, and my GTZ..... love them

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Wednesday, April 04, 2007 7:00 PM
I've also heard good things about LUK clutches.. Do they have better holding capacity than stock?

------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, April 05, 2007 5:04 PM
............ past all the metallurgy and the math, yes.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Thursday, April 05, 2007 7:52 PM
Wait, so what happened to having to bleed your clutch a lot? How did you fix this? I am having the same issues with my GFs cav and cant fix it. Also the transmission is leaking and it appears to be coming from inside the tranny. Could it be the input shaft from the tranny to the engine?

Please help
Chris

http://members.cardomain.com/vertz24 1998 Z24 Convertible
2.3-2.4 HO ADAPTER FLANGES 65$ shipped, Check GP Forum!
Friday, April 06, 2007 6:14 AM
Chris Fontana wrote:Wait, so what happened to having to bleed your clutch a lot? How did you fix this? I am having the same issues with my GFs cav and cant fix it. Also the transmission is leaking and it appears to be coming from inside the tranny. Could it be the input shaft from the tranny to the engine?

Please help
Chris

I was bleeding my clutch trying to make it more drivable (that really did not help much if at all).

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search