OBX helical LSD for getrag Jbodies - Page 5 - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: OBX helical LSD for getrag Jbodies
Saturday, February 21, 2009 11:35 AM
You must have nicer roads than where I live. I couldnt own a GTO here because the roads would destroy it in no time. I hated chasing down rattles inside them.

Saturday, February 21, 2009 4:36 PM
mitdr774 wrote:
Joshua Dearman wrote:^lol

Or I'll find other people who do something wrong too.

Not trying to be an a$$ but there are people who had put 2x the power thru the F23 than the others "having problems".

Seeing as how you do not know how those having problems drive you really cant say much. There is more to it than just how you drive the car. I have watched people drive them harder than I do and not break, but at the same time I have seen then driven relatively easy compared to me and break. One of my diffs. locked up while being nice to the car, it had been about 3k miles since the last time I beat on it at all. At the same time I know people that go through shift cables at an alarming rate, even though they are not shifting that hard, yet I do not deny abusing my cables. I have never broken one. You also do not know what power those having problems are making, so therefor you cant really make a true statement about it being "2x".

All I'm gonna say is things break for a reason, ALWAYS. Maybe not immediately or easily attributed but they always have a cause. To say otherwise would be ignorant. Only other reason is manufacture defect which statistically won't strike often or only the same people repeatedly.

Well I really hope you guys have better luck with the F23 in the future than what you have had so far.

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Saturday, February 21, 2009 6:53 PM
Rattles?!

Hmm, none so far..

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Saturday, February 21, 2009 7:34 PM
Taetsch Z-24 wrote:Rattles?!

Hmm, none so far..

Chris[/quote

give it time, my dad have the 05 or 06 6.0 ls2 and afyer 50k on the ticker we "noticed" a few things..lol
but he get a louder exhaust and that fixed it

Built&Boosted moar
04 Cavalier Turbo r.i.p my baby
2nd place 2009 GM tuner bash qwick 8--holla

Saturday, February 21, 2009 8:08 PM
Taetsch Z-24 wrote:Rattles?!

Hmm, none so far..

Chris

All kinds of trim stuff would come loose inside. The roads around me are really @!#$ty. The dealer I was last at had a few cars (not GTOs) come in with broken wheels due to the roads. Ever see a Vibe wheel split into 3 pieces? Most of the reasons I dont like the GTO can be tied to the roads around me. If I lived in an area with decent roads I would probably feel different about the car.

Sunday, February 22, 2009 6:15 AM
39K.... happy as hell with it.

Milwaukee has bad roads... I've seen cracked rims come in... Right now its sleeping nice and warm.

Anyways.... So, i found some NVG 92 LSD's....

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Thursday, February 26, 2009 2:15 PM
I just rebuilt my OBX LSD today and it was cake, I used this link as a step by step guide and everything went smooth as glass. OBX REBUILD

I disassembled it and deburred both halves of the case then cleaned everything and reassembled it with engine assembly oil, new washers and bolts with red loctite.
Thursday, February 26, 2009 4:37 PM
i wonder if cryo treating the diff then using the upraded bolts and junk for it, would make it better?

Built&Boosted moar

Thursday, February 26, 2009 6:12 PM
I don't know, maybe Boosted 2point4 will chime in, I know he's been running an OBX but I don't know if he used his right out of the box or performed the upgrades first.
I'm finally getting to the final stages of my turboed 2.3/2.4 hybrid so I haven't installed my LSD yet, but I got the bolts and washers from Rich Bryant and figured it would be better to do the upgrades now and not have to worry about it later.
Thursday, February 26, 2009 6:40 PM
fetter threw his in right outta the box

Built&Boosted moar

Thursday, February 26, 2009 6:42 PM
mines a straight out of the box unit, i was out of time to do the upgrade because he didnt have a kit ready for the cav. diff, dale when you had the diff apart did you notice if the inside was beveled so the axle would be able to compress the washer and slide out?

R.I.P. Brian Klocke, you will never be forgotten

Thursday, February 26, 2009 7:14 PM
Yes Brandon the outer edge of the gears which faces the axles was bevelled and the thing that I did notice also was that all of the edges around the planet gears were in need of deburring. I did that then cleaned everything with brake cleaner and foamy engine degreaser and rinsed it off then dried all of the parts and sprayed everything down with WD-40. Then I reassembled the LSD with the new washers moly lube and super slick engine assembly oil on all the gears and used red loctite on the bolts and torqued them to 36 ft/lbs.
Thursday, February 26, 2009 10:55 PM
Dale Young wrote:Yes Brandon the outer edge of the gears which faces the axles was bevelled and the thing that I did notice also was that all of the edges around the planet gears were in need of deburring. I did that then cleaned everything with brake cleaner and foamy engine degreaser and rinsed it off then dried all of the parts and sprayed everything down with WD-40. Then I reassembled the LSD with the new washers moly lube and super slick engine assembly oil on all the gears and used red loctite on the bolts and torqued them to 36 ft/lbs.

now if this was a guaranteed not to break diff, i would have you purchase one for myself and have you rebuild it for me.
of coarse you would be paid to do this.. lmk what your thoughts are, because im think of buying a quaife unit for 850$

Built&Boosted moar

Friday, February 27, 2009 9:00 PM
I could do it for you no problem and I wouldn't charge much but if yo look at the link in my other post it's very easy to do because the planet gears only fit one way. The key is to get the axle gears in correctly, after that there are 10 planet gears and 5 will only fit in one side of the case and the other 5 will only fit on the other side, the 6 washers are setup as follows: )()()( .
Friday, February 27, 2009 9:36 PM
yeah, it looks relatively easy but i don't have any time to really mess with that.
I'm building two motors, pulling my trans/motor out, milling parts, allot of other crap. but i will definite let you know when i get some cash for you

Built&Boosted moar

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 8:59 PM
Any other people had good luck with the box lsd

see ya!

Thursday, February 10, 2011 10:24 AM
ive got one of the rare quaife f23 diffs if anyone is interested.

ctataryn700@hotmail.com

farmerz24
Thursday, February 10, 2011 11:28 AM
Dibs. How much?

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Thursday, February 10, 2011 7:50 PM
novaracer wrote:Any other people had good luck with the box lsd

We now run one, holds up pretty well to 474 hp. We shall see what it does at the track this year.

When you get one you need to tear it apart, make sure the washers are in the correct order, get one of the faces machined 40 thou. so the diff will spin once the bearings are pressed on, and make sure you bevel the edge where the alxe clips in so you can pop the axle off when you need to.

Friday, February 11, 2011 2:37 PM
jmarks82 wrote:
novaracer wrote:Any other people had good luck with the box lsd

We now run one, holds up pretty well to 474 hp. We shall see what it does at the track this year.

When you get one you need to tear it apart, make sure the washers are in the correct order, get one of the faces machined 40 thou. so the diff will spin once the bearings are pressed on, and make sure you bevel the edge where the alxe clips in so you can pop the axle off when you need to.

Do you have any pics of this machine work??

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Sunday, February 13, 2011 12:35 AM
This is the surface we had machined. The other side has a tighter tolerance for the gear to case clearance. The case was really easy to machine. I don't have any pics of the gears you have to bevel, but you can find pictures online. I will see if I have any more pics of when we tore ours down and got it all together.

We haven't had to take the axles out yet so we will what happens if we have to!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search