OBX helical LSD for getrag Jbodies - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
OBX helical LSD for getrag Jbodies
Tuesday, March 20, 2007 9:53 AM
I think this just came out.. figure I'd post it up for you guys

OBX Helical LSD for F23 M86 transmission

from what I've deduced from my research today, here's the pros and cons of this unit:

pros
-direct copy of quaiffe unit
-preloading of axles and 2wd a majority of the time (if not always)
-better launches, and higher exit speeds coming out of corners
-low cost of $395 plus shipping

cons
-made of inferior materials
-hard to get OBX to warranty them if they break
-driveshafts get stuck in the differential due to one side of the gears not being tapered (to compress the snap rings on the driveshafts)
-preload washers inside known to fail (a fellow I found online sells replacement washers for this LSD to fix the problem)

potential fixes:
-could gear inside diff be tapered to fix driveshaft stuck problem? or has this already be remedied by OBX since the honda guys have had problems since 2004 and they may have refined it by now...

basically if you buy this, and put maybe another $50-$100 into it to rebuild it with slightly better components (all available online) you could have a prety decent true LSD

I have read that 500 and 800hp civics run this LSD with success.

Re: OBX helical LSD for getrag Jbodies
Tuesday, March 20, 2007 9:56 AM
i suck there's a post about this a few down.. please disregard

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 1:12 PM
sorry... but i have to ask just to make sure

will this work in a 4t40e?

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 8:55 AM
Good pros/cons list PJ. I did read about the problems the Honda boys were having, would be nice if the Cavy ones didnt have those isues

\Who's going to be the test mule on this?

z yaaaa wrote:sorry... but i have to ask just to make sure

will this work in a 4t40e?

since the discription says F23....... I'd have to go with a 'NO' on that one......

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 10:49 AM
my post was first bishes' !!!!!!!!!!!!

where did you get that info from pj ?

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 11:23 AM
i google searched "OBX LSD" and the first 10 or so links that come up are mostly team-integra.com, a dodge forum, and a few other honda forums.. I read through about 15pages of posts seeing what people had to say, and I also followed a link a few people posted in there to see what was found when the OBX LSD was torn apart and inspected

I'll post the links later if i can find them all again

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 11:30 AM
I did pretty much the same, after the link from Ebay was sent to me........ Airtonics found a few Honda sites as well.....

Didnt see any of the 'upgrade' or 'replacement' parts for it though.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 12:05 PM
ah , i didny search google

if they are easy and minor fixes , then it still might be worth it

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 4:34 PM
I need 1 of those for my Isuzu, LOL!!!

Jason
99 Z24
157hp/171tq
wheres my boost??
Wednesday, March 21, 2007 5:25 PM
i bought one a few days ago, i will let you know when i get it installed, an additional down side is that you have to buy new carrier bearings and they are $97
each dealer only......i also have a trany builder friend that recommends using the versa-trak fluid (used in all wheel drive diffs and t-cases in the newer gm's) in the m86 because it holds up alot better then dex III or syncromesh.......

Thursday, March 22, 2007 7:00 PM
update, my parts guy found the side bearings for me @ car quest, there are only 13.49 each. ..... ill let you know if they are correct when my diff arrives

Thursday, March 22, 2007 7:42 PM
haha i was just about to post this. just saw it on ebay. lemme know when it gets here.. definately interested...

http://www.myspace.com/15102113

Thursday, March 22, 2007 9:19 PM
ok so iv been reading up since i found this..

Quote:

cons
-made of inferior materials
-hard to get OBX to warranty them if they break
-driveshafts get stuck in the differential due to one side of the gears not being tapered (to compress the snap rings on the driveshafts)
-preload washers inside known to fail (a fellow I found online sells replacement washers for this LSD to fix the problem)

no one has been able to CONFIRM that its made of cheaper materials, only that its made in china..... everyone is assuming that since its obx, is @!#$ty.

iv only found 1 person that had the warrenty problem, and they did damage trying to get the axle out.. that was also an older one.

Quote:

So, I recently purchased a OBX LSD for a friend of mine who has a B16 powered Del Sol. It seemed to get decent reviews and it came with a "Lifetime Warranty". Although, it hasn't been on the market for a long time. Upon installation it seemed to work ok. However, after attempting to take the transmission off the car after a week or so proved to be quite difficult. Although, the OBX unit is supposed to be a copy of quaife's ATB unit it appears that isn't exactly true. Trying to remove the passenger side axle is nearly impossible. Infact, we had to destroy the axle to get it out. In the mean time, and also ended up bending the tranny housing.
4:11 PM 5/17/2005

the dates on the treads with that problem and the @!#$ty washers were back in 2005.... when the units first came out for the hondas... the newer ones where people were making 400-600whp. seemed to hold up fine.
more people seemed to have better lookin with high horsepower levels in the new ones, then people having problems with the old ones.

people were saying they were cutting 1.7 60 fts without problems with 7k launches.

just go to google and search for obx lsd. the 1st and 2nd page of results should have all this. remember to check dates on the threads..

heres the thread where someone took it completely appart

obx lsd taken appart

Thursday, March 22, 2007 10:32 PM
late night food for the brain.

the only main problem i could see happening is torque... while a civic b16/b18 puts down 600+whp, its only making around 300wtq. and most likely it isnt making that torque <6000 rpms...

while our cars usually making prett close to the same amount of torque as horsepower. so putting 400+ tq at say. 4000rpms, might cause more stress then a honda.

but no one can talk yet as far as this on a jbody..

Friday, March 23, 2007 8:49 AM

Just going off of this pic...... it looks like a F35 diff to me. I have one in my basement, and it has the same 'extension' off of the bearing race. Mabye its just a stock pic, and not of the actual part......

Friday, March 23, 2007 9:01 AM
F35 Diff

F23 Diff

See the part I'm talking about on the F35 diff?

Friday, March 23, 2007 11:44 AM
i think they are using the same picture for a batch of auctions , so the pic might not be the actual unit

hard to say with out ordering 1 up , but be carefull see the thread in performance for the venom knock intake , its pretty bad

Saturday, March 24, 2007 8:36 AM
blaahahhahaaa

whats 12 numbers!

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 8:26 PM
Got mine already

12.770 @ 111.99 Intercooled Eaton M62

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 8:45 PM
well let us know how it goes

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 9:02 PM
attn: i just went to install my unit today and its the wrong one. not even close.....BEWARE !!!!!!

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 9:06 PM
adam ******** wrote:attn: i just went to install my unit today and its the wrong one. not even close.....BEWARE !!!!!!

pictures ?

Thursday, March 29, 2007 3:36 AM
you guys do know that installing this does require several hundred dollars in washer and 0 ring replacements of the tranny? Suncavi explained that in order to get the stock differential out you must destroy a few washers and clip rings, it also states that in the GM tech handbook. 1 of those washers is like 80$ a piece and you need 2. I may be wrong, but I believe suncavi needed almost $300 more in washers/0 rings and clips from GM to put his trans back together

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Thursday, March 29, 2007 6:30 AM
I do not believe that there is any need to destroy anything to service the differential... properly that is.

I also do not believe the "axle sticking" issue is due to a taper for a retaining clip.

Since I am very likely to be the only person on this forum that has had both the OBX and Quaife diffs in my hands and have installed them, here are my observations:

The Quaife is higher quality metal. I did not actually have the material tested and analized for content, but the Qf looks and feels like billet steel parts do. It also is resistant to nicks and dents as billet steel parts are. The OBX looks and feels like typical pot metal parts in comparison. It nick and dents similar to aluminum for the most part.

The Qf is definitely hardened while the OBX is as soft as can be. This relates to the axle problem. The one OBX I installed had no axle sticking issues out of the box.
But that changed when the side bearings were installed. The soft material compressed and the axles became a mild interference fit in the area of the bearings.

The soft material is not all bad or all good. For drag launches, given the same material, a softer part will survive the shock much better than a hardened one. The hardened part tends to shatter. In drag use, the OBX is likely to have a good record in terms of non-spectacular failure.
I am not saying the Qf is more likely to shatter, because while its harder, it is also a stronger material that should easily out survive the OBX unit.

But while it will absorb shock well, it will also wear insanely quickly because it is soft. The OBX is not a unit that will provide 100,000+ miles of trouble free sevice.
Even 50k would be really pushing it. The unit will also deform as it is used. Very quickly as a matter of fact, as shown by the instant axle bore change that happens when the bearings are pressed on.
This could easily lead to gear issues (noise mostly) in short order.

I also changed out the bellville preload washers (preload springs) by request of the customer when I installed the OBX. The customer supplied new ones he purchased on the web. I saw no significant difference between either set of washers and a new set could probably be bought from McMaster-Carr for pennies if you so desired.

sig not found
Thursday, March 29, 2007 8:50 AM
todd did you get to drive the car with the obx installed ?

your though spend the money and get the quaffie ? or settle for the obx ?

more street driven than raced , but sees alot of drag strip also

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search