change trans. filter - UPDATE - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
change trans. filter - UPDATE
Sunday, August 26, 2007 12:14 PM
Hello again,

New problem...I added the fluid to the engine the best of my ability to guess and now there is approx. 7.5 quarts of trans. oil in the transmission.
The vehicle has been running idle just fine with the manual throttle control next to the steering wheel. But, as I added the fluid to the transmission little by little, the engine idling became rough about 10-15 minutes later and then eventually stalled out.
Now it doesn't want to start! I wait about 5-10 minutes and try to start it and gives a big voom and sputters unconscious again.
The longer I wait the better the chance that the car would stay alive. It actually did start and ran rough for about a minute.
Another note too is that there is a light on the automatic shifter that says "AT oil temp" I think, that is lit up red.
Does that mean anything?
Question to myself is I'm thinking that the trans. oil is filled too much. Could be a possibility? If so, I'll drain some out.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need to get this thing started again. It ran fine before I added the extra quart and a half to the transmission.

Thanks.

chrisusvi

Re: change trans. filter - UPDATE
Monday, August 27, 2007 12:45 PM
you dont list what kind of car/motor/trans you have????

im just assuming that have a 4 speed auto since you dont mention a dipstick. do a search on changing fluid in a 4-speed trans.

your car doesnt work because you cant just guess how much fluid to put in. you cant even go by the capacity the manual tells you either.
Tuesday, August 28, 2007 1:21 PM
There is a check bolt that when your filling it, it will start coming out the side and when that happens its all filled and you put the little bolt back in.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 4:44 PM
Thanks for the tip. Where is this check bolt located?

thanks.

chrisusvi
Tuesday, August 28, 2007 4:56 PM
sorry to say that its under the car man. if you look at where your oil drain plug is and than look back a little at the trans near where the trans meets CV joint. theres a little unassuming bolt there, I think its 10 or 11mm and the car has to be level when you check it.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 4:57 PM
oops, DO NOT remove the plug that is at the front of the car and easy to get to, thats for the pump, and it will spray out like a gusher if you remove it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search