ways to strengthen the getrag f23 - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ways to strengthen the getrag f23
Saturday, March 13, 2010 12:09 PM
i have a turbo build that will be pushing over 400hp...wat can i do to make my tranny stronger? i have an 05 cobalt ls with the 2.2

Re: ways to strengthen the getrag f23
Saturday, March 13, 2010 1:14 PM
Put in a LSD and be done.

FU Tuning

Saturday, March 13, 2010 1:40 PM
Too Whiney wrote:Put in a LSD and be done.

wat lsd or lsd insert do you recommend and do you know of anybody who puts them in?
Saturday, March 13, 2010 1:45 PM
If you can make 400hp.... you should be able to put a limited slip in your transmission.

As for what one, search and you will find.

Saturday, March 13, 2010 2:43 PM
Isaak wrote:If you can make 400hp.... you should be able to put a limited slip in your transmission.

im going to be making that much poer and i dont know how to do it. but im going to follow the how to and do it. just because someone is making a certain power level, does not mean they should know how to do everything.

an electrician probably doesnt know how to build a house just like a framer probably doesnt know how to do plumbing. not everyone knows everything

To the OP: Look up the Team Green LSD Insert. unless you want to do a full diff replacement, thats probably your best option. and there are plenty of how to's on how to install it.

Saturday, March 13, 2010 4:03 PM
Isaak wrote:If you can make 400hp.... you should be able to put a limited slip in your transmission.

I hate hearing this!! Anyone can throw money at a car to have it make power. That does not mean they know how to tune, or how to do this that and the other.

As for LSD's, there is some true LSD'd out there not many. Team Green has a LSD insert that works pretty well. I have one and like it.

FU Tuning

Saturday, March 13, 2010 8:47 PM
Point being if you can get 400hp out of a car such as a Jbody, you better know how to work on them... changing a lsd is a lot easier than building an engine.

Some of you need to chill out, seriously.

Saturday, March 13, 2010 11:37 PM
Isaak wrote:Point being if you can get 400hp out of a car such as a Jbody, you better know how to work on them... changing a lsd is a lot easier than building an engine.

Some of you need to chill out, seriously.

i dont know how to build a motor, but put a guide in front of me and i can do it. you cant just assume people with semi powerful cars know how to do it all on their cars. we dont need to lighten up. you just need to be more helpful and suggest an lsd to use or an insert.

Sunday, March 14, 2010 8:57 AM
There is a thing called learning, read, read some more, then read it all over again. My reasoning behind what I said doesn't change because a few people don't follow. I am a strong believer in doing things yourself if you really want to get things done. Sure sometimes it is easier to pay someone, nothing wrong with that, but if this is your hobby, it's best to learn yourself. Ask anyone that has a TON of @!#$ done to their cars either body wise or engine wise, chances are they did it themselves (and with friends helping).

I suggested he search... therefore I did help, there is plenty of information out there so why become a broken record, too many people want to be spoon-fed.

Sunday, March 14, 2010 10:04 AM
Too Whiney wrote:

I hate hearing this!! Anyone can throw money at a car to have it make power. That does not mean they know how to tune, or how to do this that and the other.

As for LSD's, there is some true LSD'd out there not many. Team Green has a LSD insert that works pretty well. I have one and like it.

where can i find a team green i searched but cant come up with a website or a contact or anything?
Sunday, March 14, 2010 10:52 AM
send this guy a pm, or email him. he is the one selling them
http://www.j-body.org/members/speedracer/

and isaak. some stuff is not easy to find. and if i want something done, also i want it done right, exact reason i did not build my motor. I KNOW the guy who built it did it better and more unique than i ever could. same with the body of my car. i dont know how to do bodywork or how to paint a car. and i cant afford to attempt it multiple times, especially considering the color. so sometimes its easier to pay to have it done correct the first time.

you gotta remember not as many people are coming to this site, so telling them to just search and not finding it and leaving probably wont help them out.

To OP: here is a link also on how to install it.
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=41&i=43294&t=29364&p=3

Sunday, March 14, 2010 1:56 PM
You can't build a motor properly without a machine shop anyway so outsourcing the build is necessary, I dont expect everyone to know how to do certain things like swapping in an LSD, but if you can get 400hp out of these motors, I would hope you know how to wrench on them... if not, I feel bad for you and your wallet.

Also, if someone comes to this site and claims they dont know how to search, they won't be here long anyway, the search button is clear and there are even instructions on how to use it.... people shouldn't need their hand to be held.

/done.

Sunday, March 14, 2010 2:52 PM
I'm hoping for around 300whp this year and I know what I need to make the power but building it would be out of my league. I'd rather pay someone to do it right. I have painted a friends car before and let me tell you I wouldn't do it to my car. Anyways, the team green lsd is a good choice. I'd be interested to see what the quaife would be like, maybe someday I'll invest in one, but for now the TG does the trick.

Sunday, March 14, 2010 4:31 PM
I'm also a firm believer in wrenching on my own car. One because I like it, and 2 because it saves me money, and I have never been one to have a lot of it.

Not every is this way. Does not matter what car we are talking about. Also like like it is really hard to get 400hp out of our cars.

Last comment on this is the search function on this site sucks. Always has. I have searched for things forever and can't find them, but can go page by page and bam there it is!

FU Tuning

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 5:32 PM
If you have the money might as well toss a Quaife in it.

My diff let go not due to wearing the diff pin, but from the spider gears shattering (now replaced with a Quaife). The TG doesn't take any load off the spider gears, just allows both wheels to spin at the same time so you doing wear through your diff pin and get better traction.

Not saying the TG isn't any good, lots of guys making huge power on here run them with no problems.

However, if you plan on racing it a lot, especially on slicks (which you will need to hook 400hp) even if you break 2-3 trannys that's near the price of the Quaife.

Or you could get the TG, never break a diff and be just fine.

That or you could always just Lincoln Lock it.....LOL

Sunday, March 21, 2010 10:50 AM
i have done some searching on the TG and i think that is what im going to go with when i do my turbo setup. since i had to get another trans b/c my synchros went out in my other tranny im just going to get lsd and rebuild my trans.

as for Isaak. i do agree with you about working on your own cars and all of that sort. i have done all of my work on my car. except for my body work, b/c im not a body man. im also not a mechanic but when it comes personal preference whether you work on it yourself or pay someone to do it, one way or another we have payed someone to work on our own cars. with the search BS.... you try searching this site and the millions of pages for one freaken answer, and see what you get. You find the title of the question you have, click on it and read through all of the pages, and out of one question someone asked that has the same problem i do, NO ONE answered the question!!! they post something about what he should have done, or what could have been done, or what he should change. but nothing about the problem! thats the problem with this site, thats why there are alot of forums brought from the dead b/c someone didnt find their answer and they came to the org to get help from local jbody friends, in return they get (how about you just search for it, or how about you just do this, or criticize everything about their car and still not help them in any way). so next time someone asks for help, just help them! He asked for advice on best lsd and you told him to just search b/c you suspect he doenst know anything about cars.

Thursday, April 29, 2010 7:43 PM
The first thing to do is install a Quaife LSD. You could also change out the M8 x 1.25 x 40mm Torx metric fasteners that hold the transmission case and clutch case together with ARP Metric Studs. Another option would be to have the Input Shaft, Intermediate Shaft and Output shafts 'cryo treated' along with all of the gears, provided you can find someone reputable enough to do this for you. Stronger aftermarket axles are also an option. The main thing you need to do is get the Helm manual for the Getrag 5 speed transmission, form number GMPT05TURM. It is the 05 GM Transmission manual. I just received the 2 volume set, $50.00 online which came to $66.72 with shipping/handling. There is a section on how to determine the differential bearing preload using GM tools, mandatory when installing a new differential.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search