cracked dash - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
cracked dash
Sunday, July 25, 2010 1:10 PM
Ok wondering if it was possible to make your own coverlay or something instead of paying the 130 or so to get one with shipping and handling... Cause i dont feel like tearing out the dash again cause i just got a 2002 z24 and it already has the crack in it. Could i possibly take one from a sunfire since they clip out and modify it enough to go over mine idk how close they are or could i get one out of a junkyard and dremmel it right below the lip would it be possible to make a cover lay with that to save me the hassle to take the dash out cause i dont really have the time right now cause im working 10 hours all week and saturday anyone know anything get back to me much appreciated..

Re: cracked dash
Sunday, July 25, 2010 1:21 PM
This was covered before...

Search function does wonders, my friend...

Sunday, July 25, 2010 2:44 PM
That dont answer my question i know about the coverlay already i want to know if you can take one from a sunfire and mod it to cover the one in the cavalier or use a dremal on one in a cavalier and cut under the lip and make that into an coverlay so i know what i have to do i know where is some but not point to get them and waste money if they dont work so someone let me know if you can modify a sunfire one to fit on or one from a cavalier to just glue ontop like the coverlay
Sunday, July 25, 2010 3:19 PM
No. A sunfire one will not fit.

Buy my spare dash.

Sunday, July 25, 2010 3:36 PM
I never heard of anyone actually doing it... would probably be more work to make the sunfire one fit than if you just disassembed the dash and replaced the valance IMO... (I believe thats what that piece of plastic by the windshield is called). If you are strapped for time, you should either get the coverlay or just ignore it.

Sunday, July 25, 2010 3:50 PM
The sunfire piece isn't even close to the same shape. It is a part of the whole dashboard itself in a cavalier too. Glovebox and all.

Buy my spare dash

Sunday, July 25, 2010 4:14 PM
How much would you want for it
Sunday, July 25, 2010 8:04 PM
Ive fixed my cavalier one with a 2 part epoxy... (lord fusor)

i would advise against cutting out the cavalier one unless you know what you are doing as you will never get it to line back up as it supports the entire dash (hense the stress leading to it to crack)... it also doesnt help the plastic is as weak as a potato chip

Sunday, July 25, 2010 8:14 PM
Speedline i dont mean cutting it out of my cavalier i mean cutting a non cracked one out of another cavalier and using that for a coverlay or wouldnt that work
Thursday, July 29, 2010 2:23 PM
I dont see that as working, Since they will be both the exact same size, and your valence will be high as hell behind ur pad. I mean, in theory it could work, but it will take alot of time, and work to make it fit, and in the long run, prolly better, easier, and cheaper to buy the overlay, or replace the dash. Trust me, My 00 verts valence is cracked in a bunch of spots, and it drives me nuts, but, instead of dealing with the whole damn dash, im going to buy the overlay, and paint it so it will match my interior once done. If you do decide to try this, post up, with some pics. Im curious, and Ill be watching this.

Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:22 PM
Well mines cracked bad like there is even like a peice missing out of it idk where it is i got the car through the auction house for a steal only 800 bucks nothing wrong with it cept that and a lil fade on the roof but thats already been taken care off and from what i seen theres more too it to take apart the valance in the 00-02 cause the alarm chimes are there too to remove i dont know this for sure but yeah wish the coverlay wasnt 110 bucks wish they could be made cheaper

Thursday, July 29, 2010 6:20 PM
Steve Olszewski wrote:Well mines cracked bad like there is even like a peice missing out of it idk where it is i got the car through the auction house for a steal only 800 bucks nothing wrong with it cept that and a lil fade on the roof but thats already been taken care off and from what i seen theres more too it to take apart the valance in the 00-02 cause the alarm chimes are there too to remove i dont know this for sure but yeah wish the coverlay wasnt 110 bucks wish they could be made cheaper

Then how would they make money off of the 90% of people with dash cracks who dont have the time/money/patience to do it themselves???

It sucks that its really expensive but your options are really limited. Even finding a valance at a yard can be difficult because so many of them are broken and you'll want to gouge your eyes out when all they have that arent cracked aren't your interior color. What should be a 10 minute fix can be a whole day @!#$around when you are replacing it the hard way. Honestly if the bad dash crack is the worst of your problems, you got it pretty good compared to some other people on here.

btw I wasn't trying to be a dick with my first post. Didn't understand what you meant.

Friday, July 30, 2010 6:06 PM
Yeah thanks for the suggestions anyways yeah i cant really complain cause 800 bucks onlything that was wrong with it was a lil fade spot on the roof and a badly cracked valance so with the roof already fixed and painted now i just need to fix that cause it annoys me everytime i get in the car seeing it hahaha
Saturday, July 31, 2010 11:10 PM
you could try covering the whole section with vinyl, while last more

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search