changing needles - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
changing needles
Monday, February 21, 2005 5:55 AM
ok this is not a drug thing..

http://www.importcarpartsplus.com/Needles.htm

im wondering if this would work in my car.. i have a 2000 z24 and after speaking with the guy who runs this place, he told me it would work if the needles were clear around the center.. (umm.. the part where the needle connects to the moving part).. does anyone know anything about this.. how to do it, or if this is the wrong stuff then which is the right stuff.. thanks.,..

Memeber since 4/2002
Premium since 1/2005

Re: changing needles
Monday, February 21, 2005 6:43 AM
Won't work. Removing the needles on a 2k+ cluster is essentially clustercide (you're 95% likely to break the cluster).

- Interior FAQ -
J-Body of Michigan -
Monday, February 21, 2005 6:47 AM
what about if you wanted to just simply replace the trim around the gauges on a 2001 2.2L sunfire where would u go to get different colored trims?

ITS ALL FUN IN GAMES TILL SOMEONE GETS SHOT IN THE LEG
Monday, February 21, 2005 7:30 AM
take it off and paint it
Monday, February 21, 2005 11:00 AM
ok well how do u get the plexy glass off of the trim . mine is glued together . do u know of anyone that sales that kind of stuff?

ITS ALL FUN IN GAMES TILL SOMEONE GETS SHOT IN THE LEG
Monday, February 21, 2005 12:55 PM
ok.. but i dont want to take the needles off.. i just want them to not be orange durring the day and to glow blue at night.. i know there must be a way to do this.. anyone with ideas?

Memeber since 4/2002
Premium since 1/2005
Monday, February 21, 2005 1:50 PM
LERecords wrote:ok.. but i dont want to take the needles off

How are you going to change the needles if you don't take off the old ones?

What you're asking to do is difficult. Extremly difficult. Nearly impossible - but not. It's going to involve somehow replacing the bulbs inside the cluster to blue (quite a feat, considering the needles should *not* be removed) and painting the needles some sort of special orange that is translucent, but opaque enough to be seen during the day.

Good luck...

- Interior FAQ -
J-Body of Michigan -
Monday, February 21, 2005 1:52 PM
That kit looks great in my car.

To let you know the needles MUST come off the car. Period.

So does the gauge face.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Monday, February 21, 2005 2:10 PM
SunfighterGT: I'm interested in the process you used to remove and reinstall the needles. I haven't had a gauge cluster from a 2k+ to play with yet (oh but if I could only get my hands on one...). What did you do to ensure everything worked correctly?

- Interior FAQ -
J-Body of Michigan -
Monday, February 21, 2005 3:01 PM
ok.. i am still refering to the link at the top of this post.. if the needles have to come off well why cant you scrap off the orange while they are one.. im not really talking so much as to swap the needles, jus to change the color..

Memeber since 4/2002
Premium since 1/2005
Monday, February 21, 2005 8:54 PM
I'm getting white face gauges with blue el. Getting them installed by a professional. If i got this kit would they be able to install it for me??

No mods...Yet

Monday, February 21, 2005 9:58 PM
Mike - We sell those needle kits too... They're fairly new, and I haven't put them on the site yet. Let me know if you'd like one.

www.TaillightTinting.com #1 SOURCE FOR VHT NITE SHADES
www.aPlusPerformance.com BACK ONLINE SOMETIME SOON!
PHONE 763-682-9945

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 4:58 AM
jason... once again your making me spend more money on the car ... anyways.. yea do you happen to have any pictures of the kit yet.. and what do i do about the orange thats on the top and bottom of my needles?? do they need to be scraped off or have the needles replaced?? let me know man.. oh is your kits intelli kits??? thanks man

Memeber since 4/2002
Premium since 1/2005
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 7:02 AM
question - is it dangerous to remove he needles on a 95 cluster....and jason, just wondering if you could throw me a price on a kit like Sunfighter GT has... devanrushton@hotmail.com
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 11:53 AM
First off - this product isn't fairly new at all. It's over 3 years old - I've had them on my car for about 3 years.

Secondly, the needles MUST come off to install this kit, as WELL as the gauge face. Period. No other way.

3rd, 2k+ Needles should NOT be taken off the cluster. If you do it's at your own risk.

If you take off your 95-99 needles, you're fine.

And to those who misunderstood the pictures I showed:

-The night picture is a shot of my white needles lit up with the ImportIntelligence needle kit, as well as a custom gauge face, and custom cluster lighting.

-The day picture is a shot of my white sunfire needles with my custom gauge cluster, black faced with white writing and a silver GT.

A word to the wise - the needle kit does NOT light up as bright as they show on their website. Not even close.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 2:46 PM
ok.. so ill just stick with what i got... thanks man for the info

Memeber since 4/2002
Premium since 1/2005
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 5:34 PM
SunfighterGT wrote:First off - this product isn't fairly new at all. It's over 3 years old - I've had them on my car for about 3 years.

It's new to me

www.TaillightTinting.com #1 SOURCE FOR VHT NITE SHADES
www.aPlusPerformance.com BACK ONLINE SOMETIME SOON!
PHONE 763-682-9945

Thursday, February 24, 2005 6:23 PM
I just took the needles off my gauges and I have a 2003. I changed the face plate to a speedo Satin Silver Face and Blue numbers. The needles ended up being white. The Cluster works just fine. Speedo sends you a tool and install directions.
Sunday, March 06, 2005 2:29 PM
couldnt u jus get a gauge overlay for the lines and numbers and then just swap out the bulbs (or leds) behind the cluster to watever color u want??

heres the thread for the bulbs to be replaced --->>
replace bulbs

as for the needles i guess u could just scrape the paint off and use nail polish to change the color?

idk jus brainstorming, correct me if im wrong

happy happy joy joy

Monday, March 07, 2005 2:45 PM
can this be done on the 03 Cav?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search