HVAC colors - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HVAC colors
Friday, February 03, 2006 7:10 AM
Heres some info i have compiled that will explain on chaging your HVAC lights to whatever color you want.
So far, this info pertains to 00-05 cavaliers..... ( still not sure about the sunfires, i guess the sun people like their factory colors)

To replace the colors you will need:

1) remove the top dash pad
2) remove the plastic bezel
3) unscrew the HVAC and pull it out
Note: for instructions on steps 1-3, please refer here: NEW Interior FAQ

4) unplug the factory bulb and replace it with "color-of-your-choice" bulb. There are two.
Note: if you are using LED's, and one or both do not light up, then you need to pull out the non-working one, turn it 180 degrees and plug it back in.

5) Reasemble everything you have taken apart

Hope this helps answer some questions asked over and over, feel free to add to this.

heres an example of the LED bulbs that you will need

And heres the only pic i can provide you, at this time, that will show you the ruber removed, and replaced bulbs to blue LED's.

wait for it... wait for it... NOW GO!! ---> '02 LS Sport <---
Yahoo IM : buzz122 AIM : buzz122cav

Re: HVAC colors
Friday, February 03, 2006 7:22 AM
nice man, your gauges look awesome. how did you do those??

Friday, February 03, 2006 7:22 AM
where did u get these lights from i also like the look of the gauge cluster lights. if you could let me know where to find them that would be great and yes i got a sunfire and i hate the factory light those other lights are sick.
Friday, February 03, 2006 7:31 AM
Eazy Ent. ( 716 ) wrote:nice man, your gauges look awesome. how did you do those??

What he said.

-Seth

Friday, February 03, 2006 7:52 AM
Theres a new thread regarding cluster lights.........
keep the HVAC questions here

There a few places that you can get the LED's from, just look up #74 LED
OR go to Ebay....

Heres a couple of links just in case:

Surplus LED

LED Tronics

Elite Led

Friday, February 03, 2006 7:52 AM
bravo

bravo

that looks ridicoulously well put together Martin

Friday, February 03, 2006 7:56 AM
Ozzie(aka LED KING) ----->Thank you........ i tried, it's just that a lot of people are asking the same question over and over. Are you by any chance selling the LED's too? If so post up your link.......

Friday, February 03, 2006 10:11 AM
Like I said in the other topic, I ordered some blue LED's to do my cluster with. So I'll post pics when their done
Saturday, February 04, 2006 1:17 PM
It's new picture time..........

Before CF :

After CF :

Saturday, February 04, 2006 1:26 PM
And here is a pic for the doit yourself person, that wants to know how many bulbs, where they are at, and how to change them, out......

Quote:

3) unscrew the HVAC and pull it out

Quote:

4) unplug the factory bulb and replace it with "color-of-your-choice" bulb. There are two.

Here you can see where there are these two gray plugs, if you uncrew it a 1/4 turn, then you can pull the bulb out......

Saturday, February 04, 2006 1:39 PM
is there anyway possible u can do hvac colours and cluster lights with 95-99 cavs? remember i like lights lol

Saturday, February 04, 2006 1:44 PM
i don't see why not, you would have to ask someone who has a 95-99 cav.......

Saturday, February 04, 2006 1:55 PM
but u guys are the experts, JCO dont kno crap lol or they ignore u and i dont kno anybody here that would have it done in a 95-99 cav, but i guess i could try searching

Saturday, February 04, 2006 2:04 PM
well, i'm sorry....... but i'm sure that someone will post up.......

Saturday, February 04, 2006 3:59 PM
I have a 98 Cavalier, the HVAC process was identical to the pictures posted above.

I haven't tried the cluster.

Saturday, February 04, 2006 7:07 PM
ok its easy to do the cluster if you guys dont know how to. I did mine, my bros, my dads, my cusins, and my moms, all today. Granted three fo them had leds with the holder/socket already attached so it was un screw and un twisit, to retwist, and rescrew but anyways. Buzz has already posted it already but just pull the cluster out by removing two screws the hold it in from the back (i would sugest to take the dash off if you like the look of your fingures, mine are all beat to hell from just getting done with mine).

The there is a little silver part on the back of the cluster i believe its like 8 screws to take that off... now you have the lights backs visible. grab them and twist to the left. mine were really snug...but came out eventually. there is a stick on the top of forum that you can find that says you can eather try to push the intire bulb out from the little hole in the back of the holder/socket but its harder then hell to do it this way. I found that its much easier to get a rag/old t-shirt and wrap the bulb up, get a pliers and pinch it to break it.

Then once you do this to all 4 bulbs you have to take those tabs out of the holder/socket so go to the tool box (well at my house its the tool box) and get a needle nose pliers, if you have not had one from breaking the bulbs, and hold on tights and pull like hell. make sure when you get them all out you re bend them back to normal postion for reasembly.

Now grab your 194 bulbs (weather it be leds or stock shaped one, mine was stock so this is what im going to say but leds are the same way) look at the bottom of the there is a wire that is in the shap of a loop ... the end of the wire in CLOSEST TO THE CENTER of the bulb... it is in the glass and you need to get a wire cutters and cut that end... CUT THE INSDE WIRES ONLY and just to make sure look at it. Once cut straighten them out and put the new bulb in the holder/socket. Then take those tabs we reformed and plase them back in. Make sure you put the tabs in the right way, as you are putting them in you need to have the end with the little bump to the out side of the holder/socket and facing up.

ok now we have the bulbs in, the tabs in now the complicated part for me atleast. I went out and bought a soldering iron (i would never have even attempted to do this if i haven't learned how to solder cleanly in school's electronics class) and solder and flux. You need to have flux or it wont solder nicly. What does flux do it cleans the metal simple as that. Plug in the iron so it can warm up, as its warming up, put the flux on you dont need a crap load just enough to notice its on there and enough to cover the metal thats soon to be soldered. Now that the flux is applied stand the bulb you with something for you can have two hands, one hand for the solder, and the other for the iron (you choose what hand hold what) This is the part i had a problem with, idk if it was just mine or if it was the solder i used but as i was soldering the solder would noly hold onto the wire and not the tab witch is a bag thing because you need to have both of them hold together nicely and snugly. so i went out to ace and bought another rold of it... and alother... and another.... then i got pissed and just started to mess around alittle bit with the scap pieces of solder that had brocken off the wires and on the board i was doing this on... i heated them all up all into one puddle (this consistes of many different solders with all different % for the tin and lead) and i tried it onces more and it worked... granted it wasn't the best soldering i have ever done but it woks now.

So if you are looking to do this or if you want to make a stick feel free to and this to the sticky and if theres problems suck as spelling, grammer, and what not you are picky about change it. Hope this helps any one in need of know what you all need.

Saturday, February 04, 2006 7:53 PM
crap my bad guys i thought this was a different thread ....

Saturday, February 04, 2006 10:35 PM
rawkfist -------- > there was this one thread that had both subjects getting covered, thats why i seperated them...........
NEXT, those are great instructions, but remember, that DOES NOT WORK for 2000-2005 models........

Saturday, February 04, 2006 11:22 PM
Heres another pic, at night, for you...........

Sunday, February 05, 2006 8:31 AM
buzz..howd u light up ur window controls?

My Other Ride

RIP Saint...Semper Fi.
Sunday, February 05, 2006 9:11 AM
It took some carefull LED reaserch and engineering, and after 3 prototypes, VOILA we have blue power window switches........

Monday, February 06, 2006 9:42 AM
BlueCav posted a topic around Decebmer about how to change thw window switches to make then light up. It involves LED's, taking the switch apart, etc.

Those knobs look real good and the light swap looks simple. I should be getting my LED's today hopefully so I may have pics posted by tonight.
Monday, February 06, 2006 10:41 AM
Actulally, i'm going to correct you a bit, BlueCav posted a BOUNTY on how to change the window switch colors, and i ended up doing it for him.........

IF anyone wants to have the PW light up a different color, let me know and i can make that happen for you..........

BlueCav also posted a thread that allowed the power door locks to get light up. It was an X-mas gift to the J-body group...... if you recall....

Monday, February 06, 2006 10:42 AM
I remember that topic . . . Sorry I didn't know all the details, Sheesh :-(
Monday, February 06, 2006 10:49 AM
I wasn't picking on you, i was just filling in the details to what exactly happend.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search