Megasquirt install with pics and instructions - Page 7 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Megasquirt install with pics and instructions
Wednesday, March 29, 2006 10:11 AM
Wes Gardner wrote:

[coil pack]-----pink wire----[splice red/green wire] *no wire here* [splice red wire]-------pink wire---[engine harness]

OK I have been working on getting a tach signal for the last day and a half. When I hook the msd adapter up like this I get 6000 rpm while cranking. Anyone have any ideas?

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 11:42 AM
Did some research and talked to MSD, the said if I run the tach driver followed bay the tach adapter it should give my a voltage triggered signal I need. Going to run to the parts store to get the adapter.
Wednesday, March 29, 2006 12:01 PM
woah woah woah you found and adapter Ive been loking forever ?????

Im probably still going to go with the elbow from a 2200 they look like the easit way to go I hope.

are you installing one???

keep me updated

Im a level 32 joedm newb flamer.
Wednesday, March 29, 2006 12:03 PM
Very good man but two things that might have helped.

Using 3M Wire connectors. No soldering involved. Much faster and a really good connection that is water tight. PLus if you screw up they are removeable. We use them at work to connect 2 splices or to add a line or to connect 3 splices. And then we bury them. They are water proof...

Also a aligator clamp with teeth. That way when it came to checking for signals and what not, instead of hacking up your wires you could test them by probing through the insulation.

You did a great job man and im not knocking your work. Just a suggestion for other people..

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 12:22 PM
I apreciate it man. I have fallen off lately becuase of the slow progress but Im nearing compleation and I think I should share.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 7:36 PM
Well I got her started today ..... but after 5-6 starts the Autometer adapter I got (went with the advice of the guy at the parts store) stopped sending a signal. I am calling MSD (just going to return the msd unit) in the morning to see if they have any ideas.

If anyone has any input on the tach signal that would be great. Out of the guys that are running the MS whatyou/they using for the tach signal?

OH and rumour has it that the tach output from a MSD dis box doesn't work.
Thursday, March 30, 2006 6:58 AM
ok clt sensor solved!
you can't use at "T" fitting where the original sensor is there is just not enough room
but the coolant lines that run from the same thermostat housing can be tapped into and work great!
i tapped my "t" in one of these fittings and magic happed when the ms unit said 130 degrees!!

oh and about that rumor about the dis-2 tach output not working.............um yeah that was my fault (i had it hooked up wrong)
it does work.

but now i'm TRYING to tune the car with my 350cc injectors (low impedance too which sucks) but if you guys have any questions i'll try to answer them as best i can just post them up.

2.2 L Ecotec, P&P Head, Stage 3 Comp Cams, Supertech 76 lb Spring kit, Supertech Oversized Valves, Wiseco 8.9:1 CR Pistons, Eagle H-Beam Rods, Home-Built Turbo Kit T3/T4 57 Trim Intercooled, 78 lb/hr Racetronix Hi-Z injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Racetronix f body fuel pump,MEGASQUIRT MS3 + MS3X Finally street tuned on 21 lbs! Now if only I could get it to hook....
Thursday, March 30, 2006 5:11 PM
Well after a couple of days of working on the tach signal I think I finally have it. I talked to a tech at MSD and he explained how the tach adapters work (the autometer one is the same). It looks for the currant draw from the voltage line and creates a voltage (12v square wave) signal based on that. What i ended up doing was removing the ICM and creating a small harness that runs from the ICM to the coils/cover. I then spliced the tach adapter into the 12v wire on the new harness.

I don't know why the pink wire wouldn't work for me, but this is working very well so far and the car is now idling better then it has sinse the bigger injectors went in. Only draw back is to make a proper harness and remote mount the ICM I'm going to need to order a couple of the plugs in, which means another week worth of waiting ... although I'm thinking of heading to a scrap yard in the morning.

Hopefully this info saves someone the headaches I went through with trying to make the stock ignition work with the MS. Oh and I also tried the haltech adapter with no luck.
Thursday, March 30, 2006 9:21 PM
I used an msd tach adapter but Im olny showing half rpms so I just set it to 2 cyl and called it aday.

I see if I have pics

Thursday, March 30, 2006 9:24 PM
I gound a pick of the two together

Monday, April 03, 2006 8:18 PM
just a small update

I finnaly finsihed prep for the cooalnt sensor Im welding a sensor bung into a metal pipe then installing it between a rad hose. Ill keep you updated.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006 5:20 AM
will you see correct temp there if the thermostat isn't open?

2.2 L Ecotec, P&P Head, Stage 3 Comp Cams, Supertech 76 lb Spring kit, Supertech Oversized Valves, Wiseco 8.9:1 CR Pistons, Eagle H-Beam Rods, Home-Built Turbo Kit T3/T4 57 Trim Intercooled, 78 lb/hr Racetronix Hi-Z injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Racetronix f body fuel pump,MEGASQUIRT MS3 + MS3X Finally street tuned on 21 lbs! Now if only I could get it to hook....
Wednesday, April 05, 2006 6:52 AM
well aparently. voulmeking did it and he says it works great.

Ill be the first to tell you im scared.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006 7:19 AM
i gotcha man
just try'n to look out for a fellow Megasquirt'R

i'm messing with base maps now on my 350cc injectors but if you need any help or run into anything you don't understand shoot me an e-mail.... not say'n i'll know the answer but i may be able to help

Wednesday, April 05, 2006 11:03 PM
thanks man

Saturday, April 08, 2006 7:19 PM
Well I got mine up and running .... I heart my megasquirt. I had to use the 2 cyl trick after a week and a half of screwing with the tach signal. I'll upload my map once I get it a little smoother, and bring the laptop inside. Right now my biggest issue is when I get off the throttle at high rpm and deceleration, I have alot of loud pops and some backfires. Anyone have any ideas what is causeing this or a solution?
Tuesday, April 11, 2006 8:22 AM
Would I use the same MSD Tach Adapter(8913) for my 2001 2.4L? If not could anyone make a suggestion as to which ones I might consider. Thanks!!

Thursday, April 13, 2006 4:52 PM
as far as the decelleration popping, if you have the MSNS-E code you go under general menu in megatune and select overrun control (this will cut all fuel when you let off the gas) you have to set the parameters for TPS ADC, map, RPM. mine are set at TPS ADC count less than 22 map anything less than 20 and RPM above 1300. if you have any questions about this post up or e-mail me @ togeneral98@aol.com if worse comes to worse i'll give u my cell and talk you through it.

Thursday, April 20, 2006 4:41 PM
*sigh*

I had a bit of set back today . I have been working on a coolant adapter hose forever now. I checked the 2200 and they looked like a bitch to get off. so I took a pipes that fit and welded sanded and jbwelded a bung it . it looked great......till I put it in. I unfortunely torqued the bolt way to hard. and neeless to say My welding isnt that great and snap.

worst part was I didnt relaize it until I refill the cooling and it started going every where.
but its ok I just order the adapter to 1/8 from summit (thanks man)

Im sort of done with pics for now. I plane on just breaking out my video cam and making a small how to with it.

I should be done by next week. as soon as the adatper comes in its going in.

Thursday, April 20, 2006 10:47 PM
Hmmm weird...

I have the 2 coolant sensors coming off the coolant neck on the head, didnt leak, havent had any problems with it yet. *knock on wood*

I am controlling fuel and spark and everything in my 96 2.4 Turbo Cavy.

Friday, April 21, 2006 5:09 AM
you have the 2200 right. let me start off by saying I hate you...and your engine.... I was looking at my bros 22 and those things are a mechinacs dream. everything you could need is right there. the 02 the IAT all of it. and dont get me started on the coolant. its like some one at gm was like "lets make this neck here so people can remove this sensor and make a t for a stand alone. @!#$ 2200's grrrr

Sunday, April 23, 2006 8:48 PM
Jcavi (JoeDM in training) wrote:you have the 2200 right. let me start off by saying I hate you...and your engine.... I was looking at my bros 22 and those things are a mechinacs dream. everything you could need is right there. the 02 the IAT all of it. and dont get me started on the coolant. its like some one at gm was like "lets make this neck here so people can remove this sensor and make a t for a stand alone. @!#$ 2200's grrrr

No man I am a 2.4L

Thursday, September 28, 2006 7:41 PM
I have not removed the coolant temp sensor on my Ecotec but if the thread is the same as the oil pressure sender it i not 12mm x 1.5 . The thread on the oil pressure sender is 12mm x 1.75 . I looked all over for an adapter for the oil but could not find one so i made to machine one myself. The thread is the same as the 12mm bolts on the engine. Does anyone have a working map for a Megasquirt and an Ecotec?
Friday, January 12, 2007 5:27 PM
bump

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search