Seats: Celica Fronts - SRT-4 Rear - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Seats: Celica Fronts - SRT-4 Rear
Sunday, June 15, 2008 6:49 PM
Got the SRT-4 seat in a few months ago and the Celica seats maybe a month ago. I was actually looking for SRT-4 fronts when I happened to find the Celica seats on eBay located not too far from me. The difference in comfort and, especially, looks is amazing. I wish I had taken pictures of my stock seats installed for comparison but everyone's seen the multicolor speckled stockers once or twice *shudder*

Yes, I know they're a bit dirty

Re: Seats: Celica Fronts - SRT-4 Rear
Sunday, June 15, 2008 6:54 PM
nice! bet they are more comfy than stock too

* * BIG FOR SALE POST * *
Sunday, June 15, 2008 6:59 PM
how hard was it to swap in the rear? looks great man nice work

Sunday, June 15, 2008 7:02 PM
very nice.

Sunday, June 15, 2008 7:04 PM
They look amazing. Surprised to see how well that combo matches. I put some seats out of a Celica GTS in my old Cav and LOVED them. The stockers weren't bad for comfort on long travel, but the Celica seats were even better! Props on the rear seat swap. Not a lot of people do that.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

In my family we teach that boys have a God-stick and girls have a Shame Cave. -John Stewart
Sunday, June 15, 2008 7:32 PM
both seats look like they fit really well. kudos on the swaps

Monday, June 16, 2008 12:04 AM
Nice...looking to do this myself in a couple months...not sure on the combo or SRT only....but the stockers are gone!!!

Looks good together too....great job!

Eh...old man with a Corvette now...it was bound to happen sooner rather than later right?
Monday, June 16, 2008 12:05 AM
Reppin the Celica Seats!

How well did the SRT Sea go in? Hmm

What did you do for braketry on the Celica seats? I used my OEM seat "Feet" and the Celica sliders, just welded up a frame out of 2" channel to box the sliders together.

Monday, June 16, 2008 11:18 AM
Resurrected J wrote:how hard was it to swap in the rear?

Not too bad actually, just took the stocker out and took it one step at a time.

These two little buggers made the top portion possible. First of all, the two brackets furthest out were cut off and the two innermost ones were enlarged using a torch. The stock Cav mouting point was cut off btw. The curved portion pointed towards the front of the car and, once bolted down, allowed for no movement whatsoever in the seat. Plus, there was enough room to leave both stock seatbelt ends.

This bit of cutting with a dremel let us not cut any foam out of the seat, as specified in the other thread with an SRT-4 Rear Seat installed. This was done on both sides. We used the tape to cover the dremeled edges of the plastic and prevent damage to the seat.

The bottom portion just involved drilling out the four rivets for each mount and moving them to fit the SRT-4 bottom. Then I covered the floor underneath the rear seat bottom in some masking plastic left over from painting my quarter panel and sprayed in a generous amount of foam to get the shape needed and a strong base. We ended up making two different layers but they were covered with the plastic to prevent any of the foam from getting on the seat. The seat bottom was sat on top and left until we got the shape needed.

The only thing I left out was securing the top of the top portion. There's a small metal lip between the trunk and back seat. That lip happens to line up with a hard portion of the back seat. My dad took two long screws and drilled through the lip and seat to secure it.

Chazz with the Asian(SpyWiz) wrote:What did you do for braketry on the Celica seats?

I grinded the Celica mounting points completely smooth, then my dad welded up a frame using four pieces of steel tubing. I forget the size since it was just laying on a rack behind the shop but I'm 250 lbs. and both seats have yet to flinch with me in 'em.

If yall haven't figured it out yet, this was definitely a father/son project.

Monday, June 16, 2008 12:28 PM
I am surprised how good that all looks together.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Monday, June 16, 2008 12:34 PM
how hard was the celica seat swap. i need new seats. and im very interested. lol

Monday, June 16, 2008 2:59 PM
I have those SRT-4 rears as well. Huge upgrade from the stock rear seats......nice job on the install.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 1:05 PM
Chris99z wrote:I have those SRT-4 rears as well. Huge upgrade from the stock rear seats......nice job on the install.

They'll fit in a coupe??

Flickr Photostream Facebook Twitter
Tuesday, June 17, 2008 1:17 PM
Wow, those look seriously gorgeous!

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 1:58 PM
Looks great.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 2:11 PM
Redhotchevy2000 wrote:how hard was the celica seat swap. i need new seats. and im very interested. lol

You'll need a grinder, a proficiency in welding and patience. My dad welded two pieces of steel tubing across the Celica slider/frame then, after cutting and fitting two other piece on the floor bolts, we set both seats in and adjusted them 'til they were straight and level. Then it was just a matter of welding everything together(spot welds were used to hold everything in place while fitting and adjusting)

To sum it up, they certainly don't bolt in and I'm not really sure you could bolt everything together, since the Celica seats really have little to bolt on to underneath. It took all of one weekend btw.

98z24ragtop wrote:They'll fit in a coupe??

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=45&i=83746&t=83435&p=1

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 4:44 PM
thanks, if i find a set im going to end up trying, i have friends who ar welders.
Thursday, June 19, 2008 12:09 AM
98z24ragtop wrote:
Chris99z wrote:I have those SRT-4 rears as well. Huge upgrade from the stock rear seats......nice job on the install.

They'll fit in a coupe??

Yes, they'll fit in a coupe as well. I got the idea from the thread that John W just posted a link to right above this message.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search