BOOM! - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
BOOM!
Monday, March 23, 2009 12:33 PM
Not sure what happened.... I dropped a boneyard motor in the car for now.... BUT

I was driving home from Jewel, at about 3000-3300 RPM, BANG!

Im sure some of the damage is from me driving it to a spot to park, but it only ran for maybe 3 seconds after it happened.

ON TO THE PICS!

Some build plans in the future, not sure what Im doing yet -- I need to recover the funds from the boneyard swap first.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire

Re: BOOM!
Monday, March 23, 2009 12:45 PM
ouch... sorry to hear man

8 psi with m62 and IAT under 100
Monday, March 23, 2009 12:46 PM
wow that blows (no pun intended )

time for ld9 swap.

Needing 2.3 oil pump stuff? PM me...
Monday, March 23, 2009 12:49 PM
X2 ^^^^^

8 psi with m62 and IAT under 100
Monday, March 23, 2009 12:56 PM
What happened to the upper valve stem, locks, retainer and valve spring?

Judging by the carnage, it looks like you dropped the valve first, but why is the question.

Monday, March 23, 2009 12:57 PM
Welcome to the wasted head/piston club.

Monday, March 23, 2009 12:57 PM
Quote:

ouch... sorry to hear man

No worries -- I got it running again, not with nearly the power that it had before -- but i can drive it.

I was thinking about doing an Eco swap, as I can get a ton of help on that... I was also thinking of boring the block on the 2200, and getting my spare head ported...

Im not sure -- Im just happy i got it running again as fast as i did.

I laughed when i finally opened it up today. haha and I thought it was a head gasket LOL

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Monday, March 23, 2009 12:59 PM
Quote:

What happened to the upper valve stem, locks, retainer and valve spring?

Judging by the carnage, it looks like you dropped the valve first, but why is the question.

Im not sure, when i pulled the valve cover everything looked fine I had no idea this carnage was inside until i opened it up.

I can get some shots of the top of the head if you want later on today.

If you look up in the head, the valve stem snapped and everything above it is intact.

Odd, and it was only at 3300 RPM... I have gone to 6500 on it a few times, but usually shifted around 6200 (it sucked hitting the limiter on the 1-2 shift at the track).

Monday, March 23, 2009 1:13 PM
Sounds as if the stem got bent some time and it welded it's self to the guide. This could happen if you rev it past it's limit and you lightly touch the piston with the valve.

Is the valve spring intact?

Something else to consider, each time you rev the spring past it's limit, the weaker it gets.

Monday, March 23, 2009 1:33 PM
The spring looks ok. I will try and get some up close pics for you.

I am thinking that I will probably stick with a stock(ish) setup as I have now and build something bulletproof either to swap, or in a different car.

Any solutions you have for 2200 springs? I have a spare head just sitting around, and if there was an easy way to get a better spring in it, Id probably give the 2200 a shot (right now im on the fence for an eco swap)

Monday, March 23, 2009 4:06 PM
A few more pics.

MadJack I got a couple shots of the top of the head... Cyl #4.

Shots of the piston/rod: (the rod is in A+ shape, wrist pin isnt even loose)

And I found the rest of the valve in the oil pan

Monday, March 23, 2009 4:28 PM
whys it all yellow and look like yellow sh% floating around there

Monday, March 23, 2009 4:35 PM
Dam Matt sorry to hear about the motor glad you got it running fast. Let me know if you need anything I got parts just laying around or a hand working on the car. I'm off on fridays and saturdays and return to work on sundays around 5pm. I'm going to spend my money on my ecotec and I'm currently parting out my ohv build and parts collection.

Monday, March 23, 2009 5:00 PM
Quote:

whys it all yellow and look like yellow sh% floating around there

Oil + Coolant = what you see

After it quit running I figured @!#$ it, I needed it to get to a spot where it wasnt going to get towed and I could leave it a few days (one of our restaurants was right there). rather than push it, i drove it will it just wouldnt go no more, which is when the oil and water mixed to make whats in the photo.

Quote:

Dam Matt sorry to hear about the motor glad you got it running fast. Let me know if you need anything I got parts just laying around or a hand working on the car. I'm off on fridays and saturdays and return to work on sundays around 5pm. I'm going to spend my money on my ecotec and I'm currently parting out my ohv build and parts collection.

Thanks man, Im not sure what Im going to do yet, I can build a 2200 (have some parts around), or an eco (have access to most of the parts for a working motor)... I might keep this as close to stock as it is now (mainly just an exhaust and a/c delete. I have been looking at s10s lately and I am considering getting one... Not sure -- I appreciate the offer, and I might take you up on it sometime

Monday, March 23, 2009 5:09 PM
Nice, does the valve look like a hersey's kiss?

Years ago i helped a friend pull the head off his 1st gen Eclipse(GSX i think, turboed + AWD) and we found the same thing.

Monday, March 23, 2009 6:04 PM
Well that certainly sucks Matt ! I say go for the ECO swap and than you can help me do one the Sedan .

Monday, March 23, 2009 6:23 PM
Quote:

Nice, does the valve look like a hersey's kiss?

Not sure, all there is in the head is a stub, and the rest is in pieces in the bottom of the pan... I haven't looked in detail yet.

Quote:

Well that certainly sucks Matt ! I say go for the ECO swap and than you can help me do one the Sedan .

Im not sure what my route will be, but Im always willing to lend a hand,. I will either build a monster 2200, or do an eco (milder, but still quick). Its running again, and Im happy, thats all that matters for now. I have a 350 build im doing first to put in my girls '93 pickup... Itll be one mean machine when its completed. Then I do my car.

Monday, March 23, 2009 6:24 PM
Brad your nutz if you think an LD9 is going in there.....L61 FOR LIFE!.

Matt, sorry to hear about it man but take it as a sign from god to put the ecotec in there.

Monday, March 23, 2009 8:30 PM
Quote:

Matt, sorry to hear about it man but take it as a sign from god to put the ecotec in there.

Thinkin about it. I will probably end up going that route Im just waiting for a call from curt saying WTF are you waiting for!?!!?

Monday, March 23, 2009 9:56 PM
This looks like a great excuse to do a big motor build, lol!

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 3:40 PM
the problem was, it was a 2200

Working on obtainting an M-Class license... ?? Hint: 2 wheels.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 7:22 PM
Toronto Cavalier wrote:the problem was, it was a 2200

Says the guy WITH a 2200.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 9:31 PM
iEcotec wrote:Brad your nutz if you think an LD9 is going in there.....LN2 FOR LIFE!.

i just went ahead and fixed it for you! Matt, Build another monster pushrod motor. We need to see a few more on this site and prove the potential the LN2 has.

Thursday, March 26, 2009 7:36 AM
Quote:

We need to see a few more on this site and prove the potential the LN2 has.

Im working on getting another form of transportation, and I have to finish my gf's 350 and throw it in her truck (new gaskets, seals, timing set, performance cam, etc). -- THEN i get to start working on my 2200. I think that is the route

Thursday, March 26, 2009 10:59 AM
awesome! glad your sticking with the 2200! I reuest pictures of the whole build, you gonna go all out?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search