Vette Wheels - Page 15 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Vette Wheels
Thursday, June 14, 2012 10:22 AM
Not gonna lie, I regret getting rid of AC everytime I go out in 30 degree celsius weather and sit in my black leather seats.

Thursday, June 14, 2012 11:10 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:ah, totally understandable man. although, you could mod a stock pan for a hell of a lot cheaper than $700 and there are ways of mounting the pump other than the ac pump location... hell you might even be able to get it to run off an axle if you were real creative LOL

i like my ac, too.

But then you wouldn't have any oil pressure when you're sitting still.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Thursday, June 14, 2012 1:24 PM
Thursday, June 14, 2012 1:46 PM
I ditched my ac to fit a bigger turbo easier. I'm totally OK with it. Windows down, sunroof open I'm all set

Thursday, June 14, 2012 3:37 PM
I'm in central FL and hardly use my a/c anyway. I usually just roll with the windows down and it's no big deal.

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Thursday, June 14, 2012 3:45 PM
Evan Undead (The Black Pearl) wrote:I'm in central FL and hardly use my a/c anyway. I usually just roll with the windows down and it's no big deal.

Sit in my seats and get back to me. lol

Thursday, June 14, 2012 9:18 PM
copy and pasted directly from my build thread on the jco because I'm way too tired to care.

Worked for hours on end tonight, and got seemingly nothing done. God, I hate these kinda nights.

Started out by pulling the engine again, and removed the front trans mount. I then reinstalled the engine, finding the next step was to notch the rear pinch weld on the frame rail, so the trans mount can come up.

After dinking around with all that I finally got the engine to sit how I want.

After sitting and staring for a few minutes, I decided to close the hood and check some @!#$ out. To my surprise there is a tonne of room between the valve cover and hood. Opportunity.

I've got a few tricks up my sleeve, that, if they pan out, I'll be raising the engine straight up at least an inch and still be able to close the hood.

Okay, pics.

I've just now realized that pictures of the engine make it look absolutely no different from stock location. I assure you, it is. Just eye-balling but I would say the diff has come up about 2".

@!#$ car........
Thursday, June 14, 2012 9:29 PM
my god that transmission is huge. so glad i went with the other getrag..

Thursday, June 14, 2012 9:48 PM
Nice work man! Keep it up! All your efforts will be worth it when you can go for a drive without worrying constantly about ripping the oil pan apart again!

Friday, June 15, 2012 6:01 AM
Jeff Wybrow wrote: copy and pasted directly from my build thread on the jco because I'm way too tired to care.

Worked for hours on end tonight, and got seemingly nothing done. God, I hate these kinda nights.

Started out by pulling the engine again, and removed the front trans mount. I then reinstalled the engine, finding the next step was to notch the rear pinch weld on the frame rail, so the trans mount can come up.

After dinking around with all that I finally got the engine to sit how I want.

After sitting and staring for a few minutes, I decided to close the hood and check some @!#$ out. To my surprise there is a tonne of room between the valve cover and hood. Opportunity.

I've got a few tricks up my sleeve, that, if they pan out, I'll be raising the engine straight up at least an inch and still be able to close the hood.

i'm gonna throw in a "i told you so" lol

good progress.

Friday, June 15, 2012 3:29 PM
MRThompson (jrthompson) wrote:

good progress.

I said valve cover. The previous arguement was about throttle body/intake piping clearance, which, there is none. literally.

So, with that said, stock manifold is going in the garbage.

And by garbage, I mean, I have a 2.4 manifold for sale.

Friday, June 15, 2012 3:47 PM
Jeff Wybrow wrote:
MRThompson (jrthompson) wrote:

good progress.

I said valve cover. The previous arguement was about throttle body/intake piping clearance, which, there is none. literally.

So, with that said, stock manifold is going in the garbage.

And by garbage, I mean, I have a 2.4 manifold for sale.

Which is what I said would hit. There is a good amount of solutions to fixing that problem. Darren said the hood wouldn't close at all if it was lifted. I have keep my eyes on hood clearance for a while. Reason being I was wanting to run a top mounted Turbo. Since I've just decided on a super charger.

Friday, June 15, 2012 5:59 PM
I've seen a few cars with the 2.3 HO manifold retrofitted to an eco, maybe that could be a solution if you do not wanna go completely custom?
Friday, June 15, 2012 6:17 PM
He has other plans. But I was right when I said he wouldn't be able to use the hood. He has since decided to ditch the Eco manifold and go balls the the wall.

Saturday, June 16, 2012 8:05 PM
Had a real good afternoon/evening at the shop, finally felt like I got something accomplished. Modified the rear trans mount and got it welded back on the car. Rotated it 90* around the trans mount and then notched it to hug the frame rail, welded, painted and all the good @!#$.

The engine will be raised a total of 1.5" and has also been rotated approx 30 degrees. The differential has come up, I would guess, about 3 inches. I had to notch the drivers frame rail to accomodate part of the transmission.

The passenger engine mount bracket is currently cut down 1.25", it is ghetto rigged right now for mock up. I will be fabricating a completely new bracket that will be shortened a total of 1.5"

I'm real happy with how it is starting to shape up

The notch, will be forming a boxed notch to weld in here to restrengthen the frame rail.

The current ghetto setup engine mount:

Some general engine position pictures:

On an unrelated note, blackhoused my headlamps since I've ordered black wheels, I figured I needed to tie them into something

And picked up some new seats, Civic SiR seats

Will hopefully have the front trans mount done tomorrow, and then I can start putting things back together.... I hope.
Saturday, June 16, 2012 8:08 PM
Definitely couldn't have gotten gayer seats.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Sunday, June 17, 2012 1:45 AM
Don't forget that you're gonna have to go with a modified/different dogbone mount on the bottom since you rotated the engine.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Sunday, June 17, 2012 9:21 AM
^That's the easy part
Sunday, June 17, 2012 9:46 AM
with that 30 degree rotation do you need to change the pickup in the oil pan or just run more oil? what needs to be done to accomodate the 30 degree rotation?

Sunday, June 17, 2012 3:28 PM
cars are meant to be ran at some degree. cant remember exactly what but think about if you had to drive up or down a steep hill...

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Sunday, June 17, 2012 4:07 PM
The GM build book rotates the engine 30 degrees in a cobalt, so I thought I'd try to mimick about the same.

As far as the pick up goes, yes I will be modifying the guts of the pan a little bit to accomodate for the rotate, the drain plug points up at a very mild, almost non-noticeable angle currently aswell.

Both those issues will be addressed once the engine is home for good and I can start then checking things like that off the list.

Sunday, June 17, 2012 5:52 PM
Had another real good day at the shop today - got the front trans mount done and finally the car held the engine in on it's own again. Got the subframe in just to see where everything sits, and the diff and oil pan are 3 full inches higher than before. I couldn't be happier.

First the engine sitting mounted

Vs. the stock front cross piece

Trans mount, notched into the frame.

Still need to get the engine mount bracket made up, and finish the notch on the drivers frame rail. I think I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Monday, June 18, 2012 5:34 AM
Amazing @!#$ Jeff!

Keep plugging.

Monday, June 18, 2012 7:02 AM
Yeah man the innovation in this thread is epic!

Monday, June 18, 2012 8:20 PM
Thanks a lot fellas!

Took a break from cutting and grinding tonight to sit back and figure a few concerns out. Initially the plan was to swap the car back to N/A for the rest of the summer until the it went away again, simply because the hood would not close with the current tb/saab intake piping.

Well, Ryan to the rescue again. The factory Saab intake manifold is a direct Eco bolt on and sits much lower. All clears now, and the turbo will be reinstalled for the summer.

The dipstick tube I was running prior - from a 2.4 Eco (due to the 2.4 manifold), won't bolt down to the Saab manifold, luckily I had a brand new 2.2 Eco one laying around, that bolts directly to the Saab manifold where the PCM for the Saab's sit.

Slowly starting to come together.

Also put an axle back in and set some vehicle weight down, I knew I was going to have to notch the frame rail for the axles, but I was very happy to find out it wasn't going to need notched near as much as I thought - never grabbed a pic, oops. However, the CV shafts are at a much more acceptable angle, pretty excited to not have driveshaft shake anymore.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search